Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 2, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #4,141 of 12,198
At present I have three different connections to my Yggy: USB through a Regen, coax and AES from an M2Tech HiFace Evo. 

To my ears the USB has plenty of detail and dynamics, but lacks a bit of warmth. The other two have just as much detail but add a bit of body to the sound,
with the AES doing a tad better than the coax.

If I didn't have the Evo, though, I would be perfectly happy with the USB. 

I should add that the Regen and Evo are both powered by AMB Labs Sigma 11 linear regulated power supplies (DIY). 

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #4,142 of 12,198
Okay, so I received the Mutec mc3+ usb. I did a very quick listen and here are my impressions.

1. The highs are very extended.
2, There is a lot of instrument seperation, I can pick every instrument and listen to it seperately. This is amazing.

I do not hear any improvements on the lows and mids, not yet. The device is pretty new and these impressions are right out of the box. I will let them play over the night and post more in a few days. Thanks )

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #4,143 of 12,198

Whats with the "digital glare"? does the Singxer reduce them?
I honestly don't know whats that term, I just read somewhere on headfi :frowning2:

I am burning in the Yggdrasil, Singxer F-1, and the coax cable all at the same time. So I don't know if the Singxer F-1 reduces or increases the "glare" and other problems I have heard during the burn in process. The coax cable is said to need 100 hours to burn-in. The Singxer F-1 is said to need 200 hours. Finally, the Yggdrasil is said to need 300 hours to burn-in.

The "digital glare" is supposed to be some harshness, especially at the treble end of the frequency range, when the DAC is not burned in. Especially when the internal components are not up to temperature.

I am at 172 hours of burn-in and everything is really sounding great now. But I won't do any critically listening or testing until I hit the 300 hour mark.

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #4,144 of 12,198
  Okay, so I received the Mutec mc3+ usb. I did a very quick listen and here are my impressions.

1. The highs are very extended.
2, There is a lot of instrument seperation, I can pick every instrument and listen to it seperately. This is amazing.

I do not hear any improvements on the lows and mids, not yet. The device is pretty new and these impressions are right out of the box. I will let them play over the night and post more in a few days. Thanks )

Which output are you using to connect to your Yggdrasil?

Mar 3, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #4,146 of 12,198

I am burning in the Yggdrasil, Singxer F-1, and the coax cable all at the same time. So I don't know if the Singxer F-1 reduces or increases the "glare" and other problems I have heard during the burn in process. The coax cable is said to need 100 hours to burn-in. The Singxer F-1 is said to need 200 hours. Finally, the Yggdrasil is said to need 300 hours to burn-in.

The "digital glare" is supposed to be some harshness, especially at the treble end of the frequency range, when the DAC is not burned in. Especially when the internal components are not up to temperature.

I am at 172 hours of burn-in and everything is really sounding great now. But I won't do any critically listening or testing until I hit the 300 hour mark.

The AES cables that I bought said 16 hours of break-in time.

Though I believe every new equipment needs a few hours of break-in time but I don't think 300 hours. I would only say if you keep listening for a longer period of time, your brain gets adjusted to the sound and you will like it. As schiit and other audio manufacturers already say, they do some burn-in to test if the product breaks. So why burn-in again? I do not count hours as I think they don't make any sense, atleast for me. 

Mar 3, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #4,147 of 12,198
100 hour burn in on a coax cable lmao.

I legitimately feel sorry for a lot of people here.

Hey, that came from the guy that made the cable. Of course you are probably one of those guys that thinks cables make no difference, right?

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #4,149 of 12,198
Mar 3, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #4,151 of 12,198
  There is a large space between both extremes.

Of course there is. I am not talking about the difference between a $5,000 cable and a $50 cable. I am talking about the cheaply made $10 cable and a $50 cable. It's the difference between quality components, quality wire, quality conduit, quality shielding, and quality construction versus cheap components, cheap wire, cheap conduit, cheap shielding, and cheap construction.

I used to run a data center with thousands of switch ports, hundreds of systems, and a score of routers. Cable quality absolutely made a difference in reliability and performance. Someone bought a batch of cheap Cat-5 cables. They were used across our systems and switches. I started to see a ton of CRC errors on a lot of switches where I seldom saw any. It ended up being these cheap Cat-5 cables. Yet these cable tested pout just fine. I replaced them all and the CRC errors went away.

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #4,152 of 12,198
Sure. Anyone that spends more than $10 on a cable is just plain stupid right?
Best not feed them : ). I have heard the difference in some cables but I'm not going to spend mega bucks myself on them. The science guys have to show me a graph that says this headphone has more soundstage than another then I'll listen to what most have to say until then I'll rely on my ears to decide. Cyro treatment is said to realign molecules so is who to say that burn in doesn't do something similar? I don't think there is a test that can tell how something sounds as frequency response graphs show just so much until they can give me a number on soundstage...

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #4,153 of 12,198

Of course there is. I am not talking about the difference between a $5,000 cable and a $50 cable. I am talking about the cheaply made $10 cable and a $50 cable. It's the difference between quality components, quality wire, quality conduit, quality shielding, and quality construction versus cheap components, cheap wire, cheap conduit, cheap shielding, and cheap construction.

I used to run a data center with thousands of switch ports, hundreds of systems, and a score of routers. Cable quality absolutely made a difference in reliability and performance. Someone bought a batch of cheap Cat-5 cables. They were used across our systems and switches. I started to see a ton of CRC errors on a lot of switches where I seldom saw any. It ended up being these cheap Cat-5 cables. Yet these cable tested pout just fine. I replaced them all and the CRC errors went away.

Well, you'll get no argument from me. All my cables are Bluejeans. I just don't worry about cables very much. So long as it's the right gauge, shielded well, and has low capacitance, and decent connectors, I just don't sweat it. I don't subscribe to the cables-as-magical-equalizers line of thought.

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #4,154 of 12,198
Sure. Anyone that spends more than $10 on a cable is just plain stupid right?

There's a variance. shielded, braided, cable of good physical quality with quality connectors aren't really a waste IMO. I'm not sure how we got from burning in a coax cable to this though. You also said your DIGITAL to DIGITAL converter needs a 200 hour burn in.

I just hate seeing stuff like this posted all over this site when people just talk out of their butts (you basically admitted you said that because the SALESMAN told you). Then the next person believe it without doing any research. Then the next. A whole horde of people just end up getting sucker'd into BS and end up spending a crap-load of money for nothing.

It's sad.

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #4,155 of 12,198
There's a variance. shielded, braided, cable of good physical quality with quality connectors aren't really a waste IMO. I'm not sure how we got from burning in a coax cable to this though. You also said your DIGITAL to DIGITAL converter needs a 200 hour burn in.

I just hate seeing stuff like this posted all over this site when people just talk out of their butts (you basically admitted you said that because the SALESMAN told you). Then the next person believe it without doing any research. Then the next. A whole horde of people just end up getting sucker'd into BS and end up spending a crap-load of money for nothing.

It's sad.

First, it's the guy that built the cable that said it needed the burn-in time. Not some sales guy.

Hardware, such as DDCs, may very well have components that benefit from burn in. How much burn-in? Who knows. It's pretty clear from most reports from people with good ears that it is more zero hours.

Yes, USB is digital so there is no way that a DAC would benefit from using any other type of connection, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back