Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 1, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #4,111 of 12,335

Is it really that much better than SPDIF coax or BNC?

I think yes but every other ear is different so I would suggest that if you are already using BNC, try this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canare-BCJ-XP-TRC-75-to-110-Digital-Audio-Impedance-Transformer-Male-NEW-/201805003610?hash=item2efc83fb5a:g:8n0AAMXQ1d1TIMKl

I think I get more apparency with AES.

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #4,112 of 12,335

I think yes but every other ear is different so I would suggest that if you are already using BNC, try this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canare-BCJ-XP-TRC-75-to-110-Digital-Audio-Impedance-Transformer-Male-NEW-/201805003610?hash=item2efc83fb5a:g:8n0AAMXQ1d1TIMKl

I think I get more apparency with AES.

Right now I am using a Singxer F-1 and SPDIF RCA coax to connect to my Yggdrasil. If I find the Singxer F-1 to be better than USB, I will probably invest in a Singxer SU-1 (or its replacement that is rumor to be coming) and use AES out put from it directly. I am still letting the Yggdrasil, the Singxer F-1, and the SPDIF cable "burn in" for a several more days before I do any critical listening.

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #4,113 of 12,335
At 120 hours of burn-in I do have to say that the my Yggy/Singxer F-1 setup is sounding fantastic. If it weren't for the lack of pops and clicks and incredibly low noise floor, I would swear I was listening to vinyl.

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #4,114 of 12,335
  Yes. As many mentioned that AES is the preferred input for the yggy. But I have bought the Mutec MC3+ USB version. (It still on the way)

I have no other source, other than my pc/laptop. I tried the toslink output from my PC sound card but I couldn't hear any difference over the usb. 
I just wanted to know if the differences are subtle or substantial and the only way of doing this is by trying out myself.

Luckily, the seller gives me 1 month return policy. :)

That brings up a good point..... With the MC3+ in-place, do also try toslink at some point.

Right now I'm doing the following: (both configs being concurrently in place)

1.  PC (On board audio) >> Toslink >> MC3+USB >> AES/EBU >> Yggdrasil.
2. PC (JCAT Femto USB Card) >> USB >> MC3+USB >> AES/EBU >> Yggdrasil.

Of the two, #1 is my favorite.  I'm not talking huge differences, but the toslink connection just sounds a bit more alive, more balanced overall.
The cable used does matter though...   That said, I'd be darn near just as happy with USB as it is too.

As for toslink direct to Yggy....  It's pretty good - something of a different presentation but I do prefer having the Mutec in the signal path.

This is with speakers of course...  With headphones YMMV.

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #4,115 of 12,335
Quoting Jason Stoddard re: XLR "being the best input" : ."..100% BS. Use the single-ended outputs if you only have single-ended inputs. It's that simple."
http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/17520#post_13290338

The idea that there is a "preferred input" is rubbish. You may prefer it for whatever reason but there is no reason to assume the others are inferior (except, maybe, USB, for well-hashed-over reasons).

EDIT: Jason was referring to the output, not input, as pointed out below by winders, so forget what I said, I guess.

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #4,116 of 12,335

That brings up a good point..... With the MC3+ in-place, do also try toslink at some point.

Right now I'm doing the following: (both configs being concurrently in place)

1.  PC (On board audio) >> Toslink >> MC3+USB >> AES/EBU >> Yggdrasil.
2. PC (JCAT Femto USB Card) >> USB >> MC3+USB >> AES/EBU >> Yggdrasil.

Of the two, #1 is my favorite.  I'm not talking huge differences, but the toslink connection just sounds a bit more alive, more balanced overall.
The cable used does matter though...   That said, I'd be darn near just as happy with USB as it is too.

As for toslink direct to Yggy....  It's pretty good - something of a different presentation but I do prefer having the Mutec in the signal path.

This is with speakers of course...  With headphones YMMV.

Thank you, will definitely try these both and post impressions. Although I have only an amazon toslink cable.

I really like my setup, really do. Anything that would make atleast 10% improvement will already be super amazing.

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #4,117 of 12,335
  Quoting Jason Stoddard re: XLR "being the best input" : ."..100% BS. Use the single-ended outputs if you only have single-ended inputs. It's that simple."
http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/17520#post_13290338

The idea that there is a "preferred input" is rubbish. You may prefer it for whatever reason but there is no reason to assume the others are inferior (except, maybe, USB, for well-hashed-over reasons).

You are quoting what Jason Stoddard had to say about the analog XLR versus SE outputs, not the digital inputs. Huge difference. Mike Moffatt has stated that the AES/EBU inputs are best to use if you can.

Also, it would be smart to use the XLR outputs if you can. There is nothing wrong with the SE outputs, as they aren't crippled SE outputs, but the XLR outputs are better if your system supports them.

Mar 1, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #4,118 of 12,335

Yeah but there are times when hearing is believing. I had Gungnir running SE using TOTL interconnect ($1500) from JPS labs and since I never used balanced on my amp, just to satisfy my curiosity I connected balnced out from Gungnir to balanced in my amp using Mogami Gold interconnects ($80) and the entire presentation became relaxed (more natural). And, since then, I think I have a phobia...lol...that I cannot go back to SE anymore. My only advice is that if your equipment have balanced in and out (both source and target) do not ignore them. So, this was for analog. As for digital, AES is sounding the best and then BNC.

omg...this hobby is scary (read insatiable) ...I thought digital was 0 and 1s but not anymore. I think there are secrets behind all these protocols/topologies that controls emotions in the recording. 

Mar 1, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #4,119 of 12,335

You are quoting what Jason Stoddard had to say about the analog XLR versus SE outputs, not the digital inputs. Huge difference. Mike Moffatt has stated that the AES/EBU inputs are best to use if you can.

Also, it would be smart to use the XLR outputs if you can. There is nothing wrong with the SE outputs, as they aren't crippled SE outputs, but the XLR outputs are better if your system supports them.

You are right re: what Jason was referring to, and I have modified my original post to reflect the above.

Mar 1, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #4,120 of 12,335

omg...this hobby is scary (read insatiable) ...I thought digital was 0 and 1s but not anymore. I think there are secrets behind all these protocols/topologies that controls emotions in the recording. 

I think we're all mostly full of Schiit regarding most of these things and that most of these differences we hear are all in our heads. But that's no fun, right?

Unless I get a Freya (another possibility) I'll be single ended and I'm not going to worry about it. Same goes for the digital in, my transport is a Squeezebox Touch and I'll be using the S/PDIF coax output and just calling it a day. From what impressions I've heard here Yggy sounds mighty fine on all inputs and outputs, which really makes the most sense anyway. Avoiding Audiophilia Nervosa is a neverending process for me. I just refuse to accept some things make a difference even if I hear them... too many times I've heard day-to-day differences on my unchanged system that are more likely due to what's going on between my ears, not outside of them. YMMV of course.

Mar 1, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #4,121 of 12,335
  I think we're all mostly full of Schiit regarding most of these things and that most of these differences we hear are all in our heads. But that's no fun, right?

Unless I get a Freya (another possibility) I'll be single ended and I'm not going to worry about it. Same goes for the digital in, my transport is a Squeezebox Touch and I'll be using the S/PDIF coax output and just calling it a day. From what impressions I've heard here Yggy sounds mighty fine on all inputs and outputs, which really makes the most sense anyway. Avoiding Audiophilia Nervosa is a neverending process for me. I just refuse to accept some things make a difference even if I hear them... too many times I've heard day-to-day differences on my unchanged system that are more likely due to what's going on between my ears, not outside of them. YMMV of course.

Not sure if you saw my message above but there is no harm spending little and trying yourself. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canare-BCJ-XP-TRC-75-to-110-Digital-Audio-Impedance-Transformer-Male-NEW-/201805003610?hash=item2efc83fb5a:g:8n0AAMXQ1d1TIMKl

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #4,123 of 12,335
  What is the best way to go from my USB C MacBook Pro to the AES input on Yggy, I am a little confused... help would be appreciated!

You would need a DDC (Digital to Digital Converter) between the MacBook Pro and Yggy. It would be best if the DDC had AES/EBU out instead of using SPDIF coax out and using a converter.

For example, I am using a Singxer F-1 DDC that outputs SPDIF coax (RCA) and plugs into Yggy via its SPDIF coax (RCA) port. I could add a converter to convert the SPDIF coax to AES/EBU. I may sell the Singxer F-1 and buy a Singxer SU-1 which has an AES/EBU out.

If you are content with the sound you are getting now, there is no need to do this. Some of us are just crazy and willing spend small fortunes for ever so slightly better SQ.

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #4,124 of 12,335

All my gear is single ended I'm afraid (Van Alstine Insight + SL pre, Decware Mystery Amp, Bifrost Multibit). Only my sub (SVS PB 12 Plus) has a balanced option. I'm not sure that connector would help me much.

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #4,125 of 12,335
  All my gear is single ended I'm afraid (Van Alstine Insight + SL pre, Decware Mystery Amp, Bifrost Multibit). Only my sub (SVS PB 12 Plus) has a balanced option. I'm not sure that connector would help me much.

You are confusing the digital and analog sides again.

All we are saying is that the AES input is supposed to be the best input on the Yggdrasil and to use it if you can. It being balanced is possibly one of the reasons why it is the best input. The output you use is immaterial to that.

One of your posts made it sound like you might have an Yggdrasil. I believe that is why hifimckinney suggested using that adapter. If you have a Bifrost and don't have an Yggdrasil, the AES talk is moot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back