Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 24, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #4,081 of 12,337
  I've got a Yggdrasil on order.  Its primary feed will be digital coax from a CD player/transport, but occasionally I'll want to feed it from an iPad via USB.

Is there any value in getting a higher-end Lightning => USB cable (e.g. Audioquest) for this application, as opposed to the cheap cord I already have (a replacement for stock).  @Baldr has expressed his frustration with USB in other threads - I'm wondering if a "better" cable will deliver any benefits in this scenario.

-- Todd

This has been discussed many times, some people say better cable, some like me say, go after the real problem with USB, and thats the noise on +/-5v leads and the so called digital noise on data leads. The Intona USB separation unit goes after all of these and you can use a nice gold terminated flexible USB cable on both sides (short one on the DAC side).

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #4,082 of 12,337
  This has been discussed many times, some people say better cable, some like me say, go after the real problem with USB, and thats the noise on +/-5v leads and the so called digital noise on data leads. The Intona USB separation unit goes after all of these and you can use a nice gold terminated flexible USB cable on both sides (short one on the DAC side).

Thanks.  I figured that there was multiple viewpoints on this - thanks for sharing that device.  I've not heard of it.

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #4,083 of 12,337

UpTone Audio will soon be announcing a new device that combines the features of the Intona and their Regen and more in a single device. I am going to hold off on purchasing anything to clean up my USB chain until I have a chance to evaluate the new device.

I am planning of feeding my Yggy via SPDIF coax or AES using either the Singxer F-1 or Singxer SU-1, respectively. But, I want to get a clean signal to the Singxer and that is where this new device may come in to play.

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #4,084 of 12,337
Does anyone pair their Yggy to speakers? I believe I have past the 200 hour mark and am floored by the sound. My 'reference' prior to the Yggy was the Triton 1 Golden Ear speakers, run through an Anthem receiver. Granted, I was only feeding the speakers Spotify music from the PS4, it still sounded so damn good compared to my then WA7+HD 800.

But now, my new reference is Utopia+Yggy+Rag using Tidal. It's astounding how good it sounds. Even the HD 800 sound much better on the setup. So I am curious, without directly running the speakers to my Rag, what is the best way to get sound to my Anthem receiver. SE output? Anyone have any experiences? I am giddy just thinking what the Yggy might do to then speakers...

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #4,085 of 12,337
Does anyone pair their Yggy to speakers? I believe I have past the 200 hour mark and am floored by the sound. My 'reference' prior to the Yggy was the Triton 1 Golden Ear speakers, run through an Anthem receiver. Granted, I was only feeding the speakers Spotify music from the PS4, it still sounded so damn good compared to my then WA7+HD 800.

But now, my new reference is Utopia+Yggy+Rag using Tidal. It's astounding how good it sounds. Even the HD 800 sound much better on the setup. So I am curious, without directly running the speakers to my Rag, what is the best way to get sound to my Anthem receiver. SE output? Anyone have any experiences? I am giddy just thinking what the Yggy might do to then speakers...
A lot of people on this thread use the Yggy exclusively on two channel gear and sing it's praises. As I don't know your gear others I bet will chime in.

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #4,086 of 12,337
My system is dedicated PC thru PUC2 USB to AES > Yggy > Freya ,> Class D Audio SDS-470 > Spatial M3 Turbo S speakers. I am not done tinkering as Schiit will come out with new products.  But music has never sounded so alive.  Yes, it's dependent on the whole system, but Schiit has played a big part and I am completely sold on their product philosophy.  Bottom line is you must hear the Yggy in a stereo speaker setup and be sure to crank it.

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #4,087 of 12,337
  My system is dedicated PC thru PUC2 USB to AES > Yggy > Freya ,> Class D Audio SDS-470 > Spatial M3 Turbo S speakers. I am not done tinkering as Schiit will come out with new products.  But music has never sounded so alive.  Yes, it's dependent on the whole system, but Schiit has played a big part and I am completely sold on their product philosophy.  Bottom line is you must hear the Yggy in a stereo speaker setup and be sure to crank it.

Thanks for sharing... never heard of Class D Audio, but they seem very reasonable and hate to use the word, but not like they are trying to rip you off?
Have to do more research into them!

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #4,088 of 12,337

The Spatial M3 Turbo S speakers seem to be great. Would they work with a dual Vidar amp setup in dual mono mode?

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #4,089 of 12,337
Trivial Crankypost:

I keep seeing, on HeadFi, the phrase "two channel" used as if that means a loudspeaker based system. So what are my headphones -- mono, 3, 5, 7 channel? LOL, nonsensical buzzwording! All one has to say is speaker or headphones.

OK! That's done.

Now on to something important for this evening. A/B-ing the classic Newcastle Brown Ale (UK) vs. Moose Drool Brown Ale (Montana) while listening to Francesco Diodati, great Italian guitarist's 'Need Something Strong' via Dante >uDO>Yggy.

Crankiness gone. :D

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #4,090 of 12,337
Trivial Crankypost:

I keep seeing, on HeadFi, the phrase "two channel" used as if that means a loudspeaker based system. So what are my headphones -- mono, 3, 5, 7 channel? LOL, nonsensical buzzwording! All one has to say is speaker or headphones.

OK! That's done.

Now on to something important for this evening. A/B-ing the classic Newcastle Brown Ale (UK) vs. Moose Drool Brown Ale (Montana) while listening to Francesco Diodati, great Italian guitarist's 'Need Something Strong' via Dante >uDO>Yggy.

Crankiness gone.
biggrin.gif

Heh, I like both of those, but tonight its Wild Turkey 101... FTW.
beerchug.gif
 Hic..

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #4,091 of 12,337
Trivial Crankypost:

OK! That's done.

Crankiness gone. :D

but headphones have speakers :wink:.

I prefer headphones, 2 channel (or 2.1), 5.1, etc etc

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #4,092 of 12,337
Originally Posted by Kamb1ng 

Does anyone pair their Yggy to speakers? 

Yggy>XLR>Hegel H360>KEF Reference 1s with floor stands + REL T7i subwoofers. Have had this setup since late 2016, still gives me the shivers, like now listening to Nuru Kane's West African classic "Sigil." His guitar and voice are right there 10 feet from me as if I was in the front row next to the stage.

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #4,093 of 12,337
Yggy>XLR>Hegel H360>KEF Reference 1s with floor stands + REL T7i subwoofers. Have had this setup since late 2016, still gives me the shivers, like now listening to Nuru Kane's West African classic "Sigil." His guitar and voice are right there 10 feet from me as if I was in the front row next to the stage.

Interesting stuff, thanks. I was grabbed by the bluesy Goree, Nabi, and the intense Mami.

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #4,094 of 12,337
Quite difficult to spot used in EU, I am considering buying new, but will probably post a WTB first... My other option is to upgrade a Gungnir to Gumby, which (depending on how much I use on a new amp - thinking about EC or Cavalli stuff), could be a way to go.

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #4,095 of 12,337
I don't have a headphone setup at all and go strictly 2-channel speaker with the following chain: PC(lossless WAV or Tidal)>Yggy>Freya>NAD 356>Legacy Classics. It is a great setup and I am very happy with it. Even at this level I'm noticing that a lot depends on source material (the more revealing the system it seems the more crappy recordings are out there, even ones I thought were good... funny how that works) and room- big time! I've rearranged my system 5 times in the last 2 weeks and I haven't made a purchase since Freya in December... the biggest improvement I think I can make right now is room. I'm discovering how truly critical it is!

Now Yggy I think is the second most revealing component in my system next to the speakers and while I haven't heard it on a headphone setup it is critical for my main system. I also struggled between Yggy and Gumby but after reading tons of reviews and a thread in particular on a similar but different forum site(that details detailed extensive testing between The two) I had to go with Yggy. Especially with the notion of upgrading the system down the road I didn't want to wonder what could have been. Once and done was the plan and I'm happy with the decision!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back