Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 3, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #4,171 of 12,314
  What is the best way to go from my USB C MacBook Pro to the AES input on Yggy, I am a little confused... help would be appreciated!

I see you have responses here, but I run the following.

You need a USB-C to USB-B cable. If you follow my approach (I don't have USB-C on my computer):
- Connect this cable to the iFi Audio Micro iUSB 3.0 (active power cleaner/regenerator).
- From the iFi Audio Micro iUSB 3.0; connect via normal USB-A to USB-B cable to Audiobyte Hydra-Z (with Hydra-ZPM linear power-supply). Hydra-Z is a USB=>SPDIF/i2S converter
- From the Hydra-Z, i connect the Yggdrasil via AES/EBU.

Result; magic :)
if you want to go the cable route; main place to put a good cable is between iFi Audio Micro iUSB 3.0 and the Hydra Z, and make sure you are running a 110 Ohms cable for AES/EBU to the Yggdrasil. You could (like me) go wild and go for the expensive cables all the way (they make a difference; digital signals are in fact analog signals while in cable, and keep in mind: time is _not_ digital). 

I have the following setup.
iMAC 27" => Nordost Heimdall2 USB => iFi Audio Micro iUSB 3.0
iFi Audio Micro iUSB 3.0 => Nordost Heimdall2 USB => Audiobyte Hydra-Z
Audiobyte Hydra-Z => Nordost Heimdall2 AES/EBU => Schiit Yggdrasil
Schiit Yggdrasil => Nordost Heimdall2 XLR => Moon 430HAD
Moon 430HAD => Nordost Heimdall2 balanced headphone cable => Audeze LCD-4 (rev2)/Audeze LCD-XC

Nordost Heimdall2 power cables all around (not the PC); and everything gets power from the ISOTEK Sigmas EVO3; which again is connected via a Nordost Heimdall2 power cable

This is pure magic; all parts have an effect - I tested for free and just ended up buying the whole cable-mess and power conditioner :wink:

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #4,172 of 12,314
Regarding which output is best for the Yggy (I also asked the guy behind Audiobyte and Rockna, and his input was according to my my conclusion after testing - of course based on which output from the Hydra-Z should be used if you have support for all of them)

i2s (not available on the Yggy) / AES / BNC / Coax / optical
I will place the USB port between coax and optical.

USB implementation on the Yggy is really good (but not the best out there; MSB is _much_ better; and Audiobyte is very close to the MSB Quad USB interface).

In my opinion, you have not heard the Yggdrasil if you only have tried it with a direct connection via USB to the computer. AES/EBU is so much better. I managed to test through all inputs with same brand/type of cables from Hydra-Z (which supports sending SPDIF to all outputs at the same time; so I could just switch through them with the same music). I hooked up Yggy USB by binding Hydra Z and Yggy USB in macOS; playing to the new device containing both devices. Hence I could test all output at the same time; with same source.

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #4,173 of 12,314
  Regarding which output is best for the Yggy (I also asked the guy behind Audiobyte and Rockna, and his input was according to my my conclusion after testing - of course based on which output from the Hydra-Z should be used if you have support for all of them)

i2s (not available on the Yggy) / AES / BNC / Coax / optical
I will place the USB port between coax and optical.

USB implementation on the Yggy is really good (but not the best out there; MSB is _much_ better; and Audiobyte is very close to the MSB Quad USB interface).

In my opinion, you have not heard the Yggdrasil if you only have tried it with a direct connection via USB to the computer. AES/EBU is so much better. I managed to test through all inputs with same brand/type of cables from Hydra-Z (which supports sending SPDIF to all outputs at the same time; so I could just switch through them with the same music). I hooked up Yggy USB by binding Hydra Z and Yggy USB in macOS; playing to the new device containing both devices. Hence I could test all output at the same time; with same source.

How much better did you find AES/EBU over RCA coax? Do you think was due to the AES/EBU on Yggy being that much better than RCA coax or could it be that the Hydra-Z is better at AES/EBU than it is RCA coax?

I ask because I am trying to find a good reason to not pursue a DDC that supports AES/EBU.....but I may not find it!

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #4,174 of 12,314

How much better did you find AES/EBU over RCA coax? Do you think was due to the AES/EBU on Yggy being that much better than RCA coax or could it be that the Hydra-Z is better at AES/EBU than it is RCA coax?

I ask because I am trying to find a good reason to not pursue a DDC that supports AES/EBU.....but I may not find it!

I wondered the same myself; that is why I asked Nicolae Jitariu (founder of Rockna/Audiobyte). His reponse was that there were technical reasons for this (according to how the different interfaces were defined initially). If I understood correct; this applied for all units regarding SPDIF transfer; AES/EBU was always the best (except i2S)). 

Edit:
How much better; depends on the rest of your setup of course - but for my gear I could clearly hear the difference (and I really wanted the coax to be just as good; since I had cable for that in place already). We are not talking night/day difference of course, but more the smaller things (more transparency; better positioning etc... think if you have +1 on both your eyes; you can still look fine without glasses, but with glasses you see everything clearer. The same happened for the audio via AES/EBU vs Coax. 

Edit2:
But I have to say that the quality level you can squeeze out of Yggdrasil is fantastic; I wouldn't trade it with a MSB Analog DAC (even with fancy power supply). In my experience you need to put som effort into getting the best out of it. It is absolutely easiest with a high quality transporter; or a network player. With computers it is more tricky (since USB Audio in fact was more a "addon-feature" to the USB 2.0 standard to support async USB audio. It was not done right in USB 1.0; and still not good enough in USB 2.0). SPDIF implementation can also be messy - there is a reason most good dac's cost a bunch of money, except for Yggdrasil).

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #4,175 of 12,314
  I wondered the same myself; that is why I asked Nicolae Jitariu (founder of Rockna/Audiobyte). His reponse was that there were technical reasons for this (according to the different interfaces were defined initially). If I understood correct; this applied for all units regarding SPDIF transfer; AES/EBU was always the best (except i2S)). 

Edit:
How much better; depends on the rest of your setup of course - but for my gear I could clearly hear the difference (and I really wanted the coax to be just as good; since I had cable for that in place already). We are not talking night/day difference of course, but more the smaller things (more transparency; better positioning etc... think if you have +1 on both your eyes; you can still look fine without glasses, but with glasses you see everything clearer. The same happened for the audio via AES/EBU vs Coax. 

Damn.....

Did you ever try any of the Singxer products? The Hydra-Z is more than double the price of the Singxer SU-1 which has the same out puts as the Hydra-Z.

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #4,176 of 12,314

I was the one that said the cable maker told me to let the coax cable burn in for 100 hours.

However, I went back and re-read the email thread. I was wrong. He said it takes "about 100 hours" for the XLR headphone cables he makes to burn in. My mistake.

You can speed the process up with a blowtorch.........  
L3000.gif

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #4,178 of 12,314
Yes I have tested; Hydra-Z is brett

Damn.....

Did you ever try any of the Singxer products? The Hydra-Z is more than double the price of the Singxer SU-1 which has the same out puts as the Hydra-Z.

A have tested SU-1 XMOS USB Audio Bridge (built on the same principle as Hydra Z; except Hydra-Z have splittet out power supply in different unit (the Hydra-ZPM).

I really think Audiobyte Hydra-Z shines when you combine it with Hydra-ZPM. If you have no plans to buy the Hydra-Z+Hydra-ZPM (only the Hydra-Z alone), I think you should go for the SU-1 XMOS USB Audio Bridge (from Singxer).

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #4,179 of 12,314

In my testing using AOIP as a source, AES was markedly 'better' than SPDIF, which was 'better' than my modded USB source. And that was using commercial grade 110Ω (aes spec) wire vs the audio grade SPDIF cable I had at the time.

IOW even with the AES feed 'handicapped' so to speak when compared to the SPDIF feed, AES provided a 'better' acoustic experience.
I have since upgraded the AES feed using the same audio grade cable, which elevated the performance yet again.

JJ

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #4,180 of 12,314
  Yes I have tested; Hydra-Z is brett
A have tested SU-1 XMOS USB Audio Bridge (built on the same principle as Hydra Z; except Hydra-Z have splittet out power supply in different unit (the Hydra-ZPM).

I really think Audiobyte Hydra-Z shines when you combine it with Hydra-ZPM. If you have no plans to buy the Hydra-Z+Hydra-ZPM (only the Hydra-Z alone), I think you should go for the SU-1 XMOS USB Audio Bridge (from Singxer).

Is the power supply a big problem for the Singxer SU-1? Doesn't using AES/EBU isolate the DAC from any upstream contamination? In fact, doesn't Singxer say there is some level of galvanic isolation inherent to the SU-1?

If the power supply is a problem, I can always bypass it and use a low noise LPS to power the board instead.

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #4,182 of 12,314
  In my opinion; The Audiobyte Hydra-Z with the Hydra-ZPM is one of the (if not the) absolute best USB=>SPDIF converter out there

That setup costs about $1500 here......ouch. I can do the Singxer SU-1 and UpTone LPS-1 for about half that. 

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #4,183 of 12,314

Is the power supply a big problem for the Singxer SU-1? Doesn't using AES/EBU isolate the DAC from any upstream contamination? In fact, doesn't Singxer say there is some level of galvanic isolation inherent to the SU-1?

If the power supply is a problem, I can always bypass it and use a low noise LPS to power the board instead.

I don't think the SU-1 is galvanic isolated (not sure) ?

The SU-1 uses an ordinary linear power supply. Audiobyte Hydra-ZPM uses a ultracapacitor bank consisting of 2 x 310 Farards (1 Farad equals 1.000.000 uF); which changes the game completely when it comes to clean power

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #4,184 of 12,314

That setup costs about $1500 here......ouch. I can do the Singxer SU-1 and UpTone LPS-1 for about half that. 

It is expensive (I bought 2 of them; one for home and one for the office).

If money is an issue (it usually is); go with the Sigxer SU-1. My advise :)

Edit:
Just keep in mind that you can not use the Uptone LPS-1 for the Singxer SU-1 (no place to plug in).  But you can run the Hydra-Z with the UpTone LPS-1

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #4,185 of 12,314
  I don't think the SU-1 is galvanic isolated (not sure) ?

The SU-1 uses an ordinary linear power supply. Audiobyte Hydra-ZPM uses a ultracapacitor bank consisting of 2 x 310 Farards (1 Farad equals 1.000.000 uF); which changes the game completely when it comes to clean power

I found this:

"Singxer's remaining board is a 4-layer PCB with lots of good things to offer. A pair of Crystek CCHD-575 "femto" clocks handle timing, while two ISO7641 digital isolators provide galvanic isolation to keep noise separated."

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back