Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 24, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #3,061 of 12,400
Aug 26, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #3,063 of 12,400
Yes, that's my configuration, a Synology NAS serving two different Sonore devices, all wired with Ethernet. In my home office I have a microRendu connected to a Bifrost Multibit. In my my living room I have a Sonicorbiter SE connected to a Bel Canto mLink USB>S/PDIF converter connected to a Bel Canto C7R integrated amp. I'm using Roon hosted on a separate computer to manage everything because I like how it organizes my music and controls play, but that's extra complication and cost. For quite a while, I just used the built-in Synology Media Server, with the Sonore devices set for DLNA/MPD streaming from the NAS via Media Server. To control play conveniently, I used the BubbleUPnP Android app on my phone and tablet, and there are similar apps for iOS and OS X. 

So do you still have to subscribe to Roon? I would rather not.
So I can stream Tidal from my MacBook Pro to a microRendu then usb it to my Yggy?
I only use streaming services for my music or do I need a Synology NAS to make this work?
Confused

Aug 26, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #3,064 of 12,400
So do you still have to subscribe to Roon? I would rather not.
So I can stream Tidal from my MacBook Pro to a microRendu then usb it to my Yggy?
I only use streaming services for my music or do I need a Synology NAS to make this work?
Confused

Get a airport express. You can stream Tidal via mbp or iphone/ipad

Aug 27, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #3,065 of 12,400
Little off topic. Can one run two Schiit dacs off one pc? I have a Yggy coming to replace my Gumby and I was planning to A/B them by using two inputs in my preamp but because of the Schiit windows drivers, I wasn't sure.

You can use asio4all and output to both or more devices using just one foobar.

Aug 29, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #3,067 of 12,400
  Guys,

I see that's not possible to play DSD files through YGGDRASIL, is it possible to play FLAC encoded files through it?

thanks,
Dmitry

Well, yes and no.

Basically you have two standards for digital data: DSD and PCM.

Things like FLAC, MP3, AAC, OGG, etc are known as container formats: they are a way to store (in this case PCM) and compress data. So no, the Yggy will not play FLAC natively. but it will understand the decoded PCM that results from playing the FLAC.

More reading: http://www.primephonic.com/audiophile-talk-flac-or-dsd

Aug 29, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #3,068 of 12,400
  Well, yes and no.

Basically you have two standards for digital data: DSD and PCM.

Things like FLAC, MP3, AAC, OGG, etc are known as container formats: they are a way to store (in this case PCM) and compress data. So no, the Yggy will not play FLAC natively. but it will understand the decoded PCM that results from playing the FLAC.

More reading: http://www.primephonic.com/audiophile-talk-flac-or-dsd

This answer is misleading, yes the Yggy plays FLACs with no problems. :wink:

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #3,070 of 12,400
  Guys,

I see that's not possible to play DSD files through YGGDRASIL, is it possible to play FLAC encoded files through it?

thanks,
Dmitry

Correct, Yggdrasil does not support DSD natively, however if you convert it to PCM on the fly using something like DOP, then it'll work just fine.
FLAC is not a problem and will play fine as mentioned above :)

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #3,071 of 12,400
Correct, Yggdrasil does not support DSD natively, however if you convert it to PCM on the fly using something like DOP, then it'll work just fine.

Just so we're clear, DSD Over PCM (DOP) is something Yggdrasill does? Somehow I doubt that to be honest but it'd be a nice suprise!

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #3,072 of 12,400
First of all, I'm a very honest person.

Second, the Yggdrasil handles PCM just fine. Transcoding DSD to PCM is no big deal with the right software. Once converted to PCM Yggy shouldn't have any problems dealing with the stream.

Seriously.... if configured properly, it will work.

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #3,073 of 12,400

Just so we're clear, DSD Over PCM (DOP) is something Yggdrasill does? Somehow I doubt that to be honest but it'd be a nice suprise!

Second, the Yggdrasil handles PCM just fine. Transcoding DSD to PCM is no big deal with the right software. Once converted to PCM Yggy shouldn't have any problems dealing with the stream.

Yggdrasil does not play DoP (DSD over PCM).  Since DoP is just a way to package DSD data in a PCM container, the actual data in this case is still DSD and Yggdrasil can't do anything with it.

You can, per your last statement, have your player software transcode DSD to PCM on the fly, but that is NOT the same as playing DoP.

It's worth noting that DSD to PCM conversions (on the fly or otherwise) are, technically, lossy.  Where as DSD transmitted via DoP is still pure DSD data.

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #3,074 of 12,400

Not saying you aren't, but DOP is not a DSD to PCM conversion technique. I was just wondering what you meant, thanks for the explanation!

Aug 29, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #3,075 of 12,400
I see that there have been divided opinions in this thread on what the best input is.

I saw the posts from Me. Moffat explaining why USB is a problem.  It seems that the data is deconstructed and then reconstructed once again unlike SPDIF or AES, and this is not a great situation.

What I don't get is that when using a computer as a source the USB output will deconstruct the signal even if you are sending it to a converter like Yellowteck or any of the others.   So at the end doesn't the SPDIF or AES converter need to reconstruct that USB signal anyway and then do another process- which is to change the data to the new SPDIF or AES format?   That sounds like it would be worse.  In addition, the yggy has that USB Gen3 clock in the dac itself reclocking right at the source which none of the other inputs have.  Therefore the other inputs will have to live with any reflections which were generated from the cable when the signal was converted until it gets to the dac.

It would seem to me that when Mr. Moffat says AES and SPDIF are better than USB he means when sent from a CD transport- and not from a computer via USB via converter- a really long chain.

Does this make any sense- or am I wrong???

If Mr. Moffat could explain I would appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back