Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 22, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #3,046 of 12,400
  I am about to start using Sonos Connect as a streamer to my Yggy - I understand that the stock Connect is not the greatest sounding source due to high jitter, but that using the Wyred 4 Sound Remedy reclocker makes a world of difference. Has anyone used the Sonos through the Remedy to the Yggy? If so does it make an appreciable improvement? Thanks for any feedback
Matt

Do you really want to do this, it seems a very imbalanced setup with a superior DAC connected to a relatively low-end digital source. Sound Remedy may help, but instead why not look for a better streamer unless you are stuck with Sonos for some reason? I recommend the Sonore microRendu, but even their lower-priced Sonicorbiter SE is likely to do better. All of the Sonore streamers support a bunch of different streaming protocols. Just a very satisfied Sonore user.

Aug 22, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #3,047 of 12,400
Thanks for the suggestion Earnmyturns, I appreciate it. Sonos was highly recommended to me by a guy trying to fix my glitchy and apparently irrepairable Mac Mini (it randomly shuts off and I can't deal with that anymore) - he said said Sonos is the ultimate in simplicity for streaming and access to every streaming protocol known to man. That appealed to me because I'm about as techie as lumberjack. But, if the audio quality isn't there, I don't want to be either.

I have followed a thread on the Microrendu and am convinced it offers the highest quality audio solution but I understand I would still need an upstream source/NAS which I don't currently have. Any suggestions?

Aug 22, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #3,048 of 12,400
  Thanks for the suggestion Earnmyturns, I appreciate it. Sonos was highly recommended to me by a guy trying to fix my glitchy and apparently irrepairable Mac Mini (it randomly shuts off and I can't deal with that anymore) - he said said Sonos is the ultimate in simplicity for streaming and access to every streaming protocol known to man. That appealed to me because I'm about as techie as lumberjack. But, if the audio quality isn't there, I don't want to be either.

I have followed a thread on the Microrendu and am convinced it offers the highest quality audio solution but I understand I would still need an upstream source/NAS which I don't currently have. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, you won't be able to run a microRendu without some source (computer or NAS) on the same Ethernet to serve the music files or network (eg. Tidal) streaming audio to the microRendu. How did you plan to feed the Sonos Connect, anyway?

Aug 22, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #3,049 of 12,400
Up to now I've been playing music from a 4 Terabyte external drive through a Mac Mini using JRiver to the Yggy. Sounds pretty good.

The guy who recommended Sonos (he just happens to be a Sonos dealer) offered to feed the Sonos Connect a Synology NAS which he would configure for me and transfer my music files to the NAS. Would it be feasible to instead connect the Synology NAS to the MicroRendu? (in other words just use the MicroRendu instead of the Sonos Connect).

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #3,050 of 12,400
  Up to now I've been playing music from a 4 Terabyte external drive through a Mac Mini using JRiver to the Yggy. Sounds pretty good.

The guy who recommended Sonos (he just happens to be a Sonos dealer) offered to feed the Sonos Connect a Synology NAS which he would configure for me and transfer my music files to the NAS. Would it be feasible to instead connect the Synology NAS to the MicroRendu? (in other words just use the MicroRendu instead of the Sonos Connect).

Yes, that's my configuration, a Synology NAS serving two different Sonore devices, all wired with Ethernet. In my home office I have a microRendu connected to a Bifrost Multibit. In my my living room I have a Sonicorbiter SE connected to a Bel Canto mLink USB>S/PDIF converter connected to a Bel Canto C7R integrated amp. I'm using Roon hosted on a separate computer to manage everything because I like how it organizes my music and controls play, but that's extra complication and cost. For quite a while, I just used the built-in Synology Media Server, with the Sonore devices set for DLNA/MPD streaming from the NAS via Media Server. To control play conveniently, I used the BubbleUPnP Android app on my phone and tablet, and there are similar apps for iOS and OS X. 

Aug 23, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #3,053 of 12,400
Hello,
Did anyone have a chance to compare the Yggy wit a 'pro audio' Dac like Antelope or Prism? (At the same price range)

I keep bumping into real music producers and audio engineers that sneeze at or Dacs and swear by their pro audio ones - What do you think?

Thank you

Aug 23, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #3,054 of 12,400
Aug 24, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #3,055 of 12,400
Little off topic. Can one run two Schiit dacs off one pc? I have a Yggy coming to replace my Gumby and I was planning to A/B them by using two inputs in my preamp but because of the Schiit windows drivers, I wasn't sure.

Aug 24, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #3,056 of 12,400
Little off topic. Can one run two Schiit dacs off one pc? I have a Yggy coming to replace my Gumby and I was planning to A/B them by using two inputs in my preamp but because of the Schiit windows drivers, I wasn't sure.
My guess is yes even though I haven't tried it . You would just go to control panel to switch them I don't think both will work at the same time but I have been wrong before.

Aug 24, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #3,057 of 12,400

Windoz driver only allows one audio device to be driven at a time.  You will have to switch 'em in the control panel.

Aug 24, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #3,058 of 12,400
I thought that was the case .

Aug 24, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #3,059 of 12,400
Windoz driver only allows one audio device to be driven at a time.  You will have to switch 'em in the control panel.

One other scenario. I use Jriver and have the ability to switch sources (dacs) directly in Jriver. This worked when I had a Zdac and Gumby last month. I'm just curious if it will with two dacs by Schiit:)

Thanks for your help thus far!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back