Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 31, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #3,091 of 12,484

I don't actually own a Sonos Connect - my local tech urged me to buy one and have him configure it for me using Synology NAS. He insists it's the simplest and most effective way to stream music and get access to all the apps (Tidal, etc). This approach is very appealing to me only because I have no networking skills, I am a plug and play guy.

Does the Yggy really need a high quality signal to perform at it's best, or could it be that the Yggy's reclocker cleans incoming jitter like a washing machine cleans clothes? whether my clothes are filthy or just a little soiled going in, they come out of the washing machine in the same condition - clean.

I'm glad your Connect sounds great hooked up to the DAC. Whether the Wyrd4Sound reclocker will make any difference, or whether you need a higher quality source to get the true potential out of the Yggy, it's hard to say. Let us know if you decide to try something other than the stock Connect.

By the way, your Yggy will continue to improve for a few more days/weeks as it breaks in, if you love it now you are in for even more love!

Aug 31, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #3,092 of 12,484
My Yggy will be arriving in a few days and I am now wondering whether I will need a Wyrd as well. Along with digital input from my CD player, I'll be feeding USB input from a Surface Pro 3 (probably Pandora and/or iTunes Music) and I'm wondering whether decrapification will be necessary or beneficial with this setup. I've read some of the answers on this and I gather that the amount of benefit depends on the crapiness of the source, so I'm particularly interested in experience with this source, but all opinions are welcome. My backup plan is a 15-day trial (after the Yggy has been running for a while, of course).

Aug 31, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #3,093 of 12,484
Regarding inputs to the Yggy: if your source engages the DAC in VXCO all is well. I can't speak to any specific mod, but if the 'get better gear' light didn't light up then you were already in the clear.

To mttbsh's point, USB from a Mac mini is clean – always – without a hub or Wyrd. By contrast, optical from an Airport Express ****s the bed 70% of the time.

(geesh... c'mon Apple)

Aug 31, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #3,094 of 12,484
  And how do you play the music stored on your local drives or computers with the microRendu?

I'm currently using Roon running on a dedicated small server (Intel NUC), accessing my music library on a NAS, using the microRendu as an endpoint. Before that, my microRendu accessed my NAS directly with UPnP/DLNA. I like Roon for the overall experience, handling of metadata and easy control of multiple endpoints with mobile devices, but there are cheaper options with various other software packages on a computer that has access to your music library and to the microRendu. 

Aug 31, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #3,095 of 12,484

Good points. Avoiding ground loops should be a matter of sensible wiring, and PS noise over USB is often the fault of a poorly-designed PC. I would certainly agree that spending large sums on 'decrapification' is a waste of $$...even Schiit admits a good USB hub can serve the same purpose as a Wyrd. As for jitter, this is solved. Any modern DAC offers locking and re-clocking ability; for Sabre-based units this lives directly on the DAC chip.

I like the idea of dedicated audio streamers but fear losing flexibility in the software realm. I'd love to know how the microRendu working out. Can it work if you want your playback software to covert and stream DSD ISOs to a PCM-based DAC? What about running AudioUnit or VST plugins for headphone crossover or room correction?

I'm very happy with my microRendu, but I've only used it in very simple setups, first as a UPnP/DLNA renderer, now as a Roon endpoint, no DSD, so I don't know how far it can go. It's a pretty small, low-powered computer, so heavy DSP stuff is best relegated to a more powerful server. I know that quite a few microRendu users use HQPlayer on its own or with Roon on a server to drive their microRendu. Of course then one asks why not connect your DAC directly to your server. In my case, I like to have my servers and storage well away from my DACs and listening, so having a Roon server and a NAS sitting in a closet and serving Roon endpoints throughout the house via Cat 6 is very attractive.

Sep 1, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #3,097 of 12,484
  How long have you waited for your yggdrasil, or when did you order  it?

Absent a quote, I'm guessing that you are asking me. I ordered it on 18 July. On 28 July I saw the SchittShow 2 announcement and asked them to put my order on hold until after 27 August. On 29 August, I had them release the hold and I got the shipping notice from FedEx a day later. HTH.

Sep 1, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #3,098 of 12,484
Absent a quote, I'm guessing that you are asking me. I ordered it on 18 July. On 28 July I saw the SchittShow 2 announcement and asked them to put my order on hold until after 27 August. On 29 August, I had them release the hold and I got the shipping notice from FedEx a day later. HTH.

Thanks. I don't know they allow you to do that, seems like a good strategy. I might try it on yggdrasil and the always out of stock gungnir.

Sep 1, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #3,099 of 12,484
ordered my DAC a week ago and it arrived Saturday.

It's now Monday yggy has been burning in for 48 hours. This is the real deal. ...

After 48 hours it is this good. ....

48hrs is nothing...
The real majic starts after a week burn in when everything inside settles.

Agreed, to tack on another impression. Unfortunately Schiit decided to power the USB hub within the Yggdrasil with power from the USB. This can cause 2 things, #1 if your PC etc.. is delivering dirty power, #2 it creates the possibility of ground potential mismatches. If you galvanically isolate the USB power, I've found it does help. 

They needed to isolate this power and I am not sure if they did or not.
One thing for sure you will get sonic differences when using other inputs, and every system being so different, will achieve optimal results differently..

I bought a Wyrd.  Problem solved.

I sold my Wyrd..
Problem solved!

Just an example they every setup will be different.

My guess is that the new slim laptops don't have same type power or issues that desktops do,
Especially laptops with SSD drives an low power CPU's..

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #3,100 of 12,484
I sold my Wyrd..
Problem solved!

My guess is that the new slim laptops don't have same type power or issues that desktops do,

What did dumping the Wyrd do for you?  

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #3,101 of 12,484
I sold my Wyrd..

Problem solved!

What did dumping the Wyrd do for you?  

Actually it was not an elimination, as the Wyrd made benefits with my older systems...
It was replaced with a Regen,
Which basically the same thing except I have option to use choice of linear PSU to attach.
So I end up with a more linear PSU which replace USB power.

USB dirty power is probably the most noticeable thing to fix.

Sep 1, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #3,102 of 12,484
When I first plugged it in I was about to hunt each of you down and punch you in the nards. After two weeks of up time and playing my yggy since I got it......When I listen I'm now like.....

After 100 hours or so was the biggest difference. Then it keeps refining after that. I also went and bought the ifi ipower 9v for my USB regen. It's incredible when you're at a certain level and you add something that makes it even better. And yes this stuff makes a big different even with the yggy. Even more so maybe since it takes something to a whole other level that was already ridiculously high. My chain is now a USB 3.1 add in card --> With a SOTM Sata filter so the entire USB cards power is totally filtered before even getting to the USB card in my computer ---> out to the carbon usb wire ---> to the USB regen that is filtered power by the IFI Ipower 9v ----> another carbon USB wire. My USB is so insanely clean at this point. In my opinion this is one of the best set ups and a must for world class sound. A DAC this good deserves the best and cleanest signal. Thinking about trying out that intona too though. 

I'm really proud of my entire system. Not just the yggy. But the yggy really finished it all off to another level. The sound I get from the speakers is just insane. Like you really just sit there and laugh in disbelief at the realism and massive massive sound stage and huge floating 3d instruments and vocals and massive depth. I've never heard a better system. Although I don't get out much anymore to listen to other systems. But I've been an audiophile for 20 years now. Wish I had audiophile friends to hear it. 

One thing that hit me though is once I got it all going was how much it reminded me of my old DAC I had a long time ago. I had a resolution audio quantum DAC and the matching transport. I think back then the stuff cost like $6000 or more together (I bought used though). Today with inflation and higher costs that would be like a $10,000 combo. While not as good as the yggy of course I'm amazed at how close it was and the memories it brought back of listening to music with that combo. Incredible what was accomplished way back then, and would still blow away most DAC's until you get to the yggy and higher up. Wonder why I ever sold that thing. I had a phase where I really simplified my system for a while, should have never got rid of that though. 

What stands out dramatically with the yggy is the incredible accuracy. It is super clean and tight sounding. You realize that you are for the first time hearing true accuracy  that the new DAC chip brings. And that all those other types of DAC chips previously that have to guess and fill in information just cause a slight blurriness to the sound. They never really nailed it perfectly. It's like looking at a photo with each pixel exactly where it should be, where as previous DAC chips were JPG's that look real but it's never perfect and exact. The yggy is the original RAW picture exactly how it should be.

I can't wait to some day build a huge stereo room. My next house after I sell this one I'm going to have the perfect room. I mean I have a dedicated room now but the new one will be like an entire top floor of the house and ideal in every way for sound and atmosphere and experience. I want a huge open area that goes very far back so all the sounds are floating in the middle of the room and not behind a wall. Getting excited thinking about that. Wish it was sooner than next year.

Sep 1, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #3,103 of 12,484
  I'm really proud of my entire system. Not just the yggy. But the yggy really finished it all off to another level. The sound I get from the speakers is just insane. Like you really just sit there and laugh in disbelief at the realism and massive massive sound stage and huge floating 3d instruments and vocals and massive depth. I've never heard a better system. Although I don't get out much anymore to listen to other systems. But I've been an audiophile for 20 years now. Wish I had audiophile friends to hear it. 

What are you running downstream from the Yggy?

Sep 3, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #3,104 of 12,484
Get a used Mac mini for the price of a connect and use iTunes remote if you have a iPhone or iPad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back