Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
May 11, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #2,401 of 12,196
  Greetings guys,
I have been active on computeraudiophile for many years - new member here.
I recently sold my QB-9 DSD to buy an Yggy. Took a detour and bought a Chord Mojo for fun while waiting to place my order with Schiit.
Rest of my system is Nagra/Magico.

Then there was this "huge" controversy about the "glitch" on ca in April.

Long story short, someone attributed the Yggy "Magic" to a "glitch", a little too much energy in the output...
I am not very technical. There are many pages of childish crap, then a statement by Baldur that kinda confirms the findings - this is my interpretation.
I am still planning to buy the Yggy - But I am surprised to see no echo of this other discussion here.

Just trying to get as much education as possible.

Thanks

Please excuse my delay in addressing criticism of my design choices and philosophy with respect to the Yggy. At the time they initially came off, I was in a pre hospitalization mode where I could barely walk. I then went in for some fairly major neck rebuild surgery and just now can function well – much better! I am still wearing a medieval torture device neck collar which prevents me from looking down, and for that reason may leave some typos in this missive. So now that I am healthy, please allow this retort:
1. Audio vs. Industrial DACs. Forty years ago, I designed and built the first no feedback, passive RIAA equalized, and 6DJ8 exclusively tubed audio preamplifier. At the time, the audio tubes in use were the 12A_7 family which indeed were designed to be for audio use. They were proper and inexpensive enough to be designed into the cheapest of phonographs. Although embarrassingly cheap, they were used in the finest preamps of the late first tube era, MacIntosh and Marantz. The 6DJ8 was a lower noise, far more inherently linear, and much wider audio through RF bandwidth device. Those capable of qualitative differentiation realized that the 12A_7 was a subset of the 6DJ8 – the latter featured much lower noise and much better distortion as a bonus. A total freebie was the much wider bandwidth which enabled much higher slewing rates. At the time, I was savaged by an engineering troglodyte of the day who called me out for not using audio parts and high amounts of feedback. Well, here we are 40 years later as the second tube era enters maturity. It seems the 6DJ8/6922/etc tube family has been well established – screw all of you Luddites.
Fast forward to today. We have audio DACs (largely used by engineering insophisticates or troglodytes). We also have industrial DACs which are faster, and far more accurate. Accurate you say? You bet. There are two specs that inexpensively designed audio DACs leave unspecified. DNL and INL. I don't want to turn this into a tech wiki, but those specs are less than 1LSB on both the AD5791. DACs unspecified thusly are prone to errors much higher than -110 db, possibly as high as -6db according to which code is problematical. This is why cheaply designed audio DACs are totally unsuited for weapons (missile can hit the orphanage instead of the real target) or medical imaging (Doc is going to think cancer is metastasized when it isn't or in the wrong place). Industrial DACs are just like 6DJ8s – you get faster conversions and far more accuracy. THERE IS NO INHERENT ADVANTAGE IN USING AN AUDIO DAC FOR AUDIO EXCEPT COST – PERIOD. Again, I am savaged by trogs and Luddies on using industrial DACs for all of the wrong reasons – see immediately below.
2. The alleged Yggy AD5791 glitch problem. A repro of Atomic Bob's Yggy -90db sine wave was presented characterizing the glitch as massive. A number of posters there become fully erect and piled on to the incorrect notion that the AD5791 has a glitching problem.  It is unfortunate that those accusations are not only based in bullschiit, but the accusers are so lame they are not even aware they are wrong.
The glitch referred to on the AD5791 data sheet occurs once per conversion – that's once every 2.5 to 2.8 microseconds or so. The glitch displayed on the other forum occurs every 500 microseconds. It seems these geniuses have not enough fingers and toes to count. Either that or they really cannot read sophisticated DAC data sheets.
The glitch pointed out (and agreed to by me as glitch before my surgery) is DAC glitch proper to multibit DACs driven by 2s compliment math at zero crossings, already pointed out by one poster, but ignored by many on this thread in their haste to condemn the DAC. This glitch worsens with lowering decoded output on any mb DAC.
The rest of the world deals with this zero crossing phenomenon is by adding dither, which is random noise just above the level of the glitch. This can either be done on purpose digitally or accidentally with an overly noisy analog section.
It is ordinary to employ dither. For the record, there is no dither employed in the Yggy. Then again, the Yggy in not an ordinary DAC. As of yet, I am not convinced that dither is the best to do. That is why the zero crossing is so obvious. If this changes, it is a trivial software upgrade.
I'm done. Perhaps my accusers may study 2s compliment math, dither, and R2R zero crossing glitches, and sophisticated DACs in particular before they jump on me again.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 11, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #2,402 of 12,196
  The glitch referred to on the AD5791 data sheet occurs once per conversion – that's once every 2.5 to 2.8 microseconds or so. The glitch displayed on the other forum occurs every 500 microseconds.

I'm glad you are doing better after neck surgery, and well enough to provide this valuable explanation. One question: if the 2s complement glitch happens at zero crossings only, wouldn't it happen just once per half-cycle, rather than once per sample? That is, a glitch every 500 usec would happen for a 1 kHz sine wave. Or am I getting this wrong? I'm asking because interested in the technical reasoning, not because I presume to be able to hear something so close to the noise level. I'm a very happy owner of one of your multibit designs (Bifrost) and planning to get a G. or Y. for my speaker system once I find the right analog stage(s) to pair it with.

May 11, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #2,403 of 12,196
Okay.... So some people seem to think the glitch is what gives Yggy it's magic.
....Well in that case, I'll gladly take some more glitching! 
tongue_smile.gif

May 11, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #2,405 of 12,196
Ain't that the truth!

May 11, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #2,407 of 12,196
Over the years I've come to rate audio gear according to how good a job it does of NOT tickling my OCD nerve.  Based on that metric Yggy is the best piece of gear I've ever owned.  It just works and I have zero reason to question that it may be contributing anything negative to the signal chain so I just don't think about it.

I think it's probably pretty darn hard to design a piece of gear that's easy to 'make friends with' like this, given the proclivities of the audiophile type personality.  As rewarding as tubes have been, they've also been a royal PITA on numerous occasions.  It's nice to have something on the rack that can be the "rock" for the whole setup.

May 11, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #2,409 of 12,196
All I can say, Mike, is that you and your technology enabled my GMB to make this music come alive in my ears w/o having to visit either Cuba or the Lincoln Center (both of which I would love to visit)...not to mention New Orleans but that a different genre :wink:.  I am glad to hear you are well.  Rock on, my friend!

All the best,
RCBinTN

May 11, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #2,410 of 12,196
  I'm glad you are doing better after neck surgery, and well enough to provide this valuable explanation. One question: if the 2s complement glitch happens at zero crossings only, wouldn't it happen just once per half-cycle, rather than once per sample? That is, a glitch every 500 usec would happen for a 1 kHz sine wave. Or am I getting this wrong? I'm asking because interested in the technical reasoning, not because I presume to be able to hear something so close to the noise level. I'm a very happy owner of one of your multibit designs (Bifrost) and planning to get a G. or Y. for my speaker system once I find the right analog stage(s) to pair it with.

That is exactly it!!

May 11, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #2,411 of 12,196
  All I can say, Mike, is that you and your technology enabled my GMB to make this music come alive in my ears w/o having to visit either Cuba or the Lincoln Center (both of which I would love to visit)...not to mention New Orleans but that a different genre :wink:.  I am glad to hear you are well.  Rock on, my friend!

All the best,
RCBinTN

It is great to be back!!

May 12, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #2,412 of 12,196
I don't feel like joining CA just to say this, but it seems like Mani could listen to a Theta Gen Va with the PCM 63 DAC to see if his issue is with the "megaburrito" filter/Mike's implementation or the AD5791 DAC itself. Of course, this assumes the Gen V and the Yggy have roughly the same design, but I suspect it would be very telling about the difference between the PCM 63 DAC and the AD5791. Feed all the DACs from the same source using the same input (if using USB, use a separate DDC), volume match, etc.

Of course, I doubt such a test will happen. Mani will probably continue to say he can hear the "glitch," Mike will say that's absurd, and the world will keep spinning.

May 12, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #2,413 of 12,196

Omg I'm so jealous now!!!!

Only just got my Yggy - but even with very few hours playing it's sounding pretty special.
Lovely timbral complexity and clarity - the fine textural detail of instruments and voices really draws you into the music. 
I was worried after reading some comparisons that the sound might be a bit 'dry' - but instruments have a wonderfully natural reverberation/decay into space. Great dynamic liveliness too. 
Actually, it even sounds excellent with material sourced from Spotify. 
It really plays to the strengths of my Harbeth speakers - wow, I'm gonna lose a lot of sleep listening to this thing!

May 12, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #2,414 of 12,196
...Mani will probably continue to say he can hear the "glitch," Mike will say that's absurd, and the world will keep spinning.

Gapers are numerous in audiophiledom, it's more forgiving than mountains.  Too bad Pat Keane and Mike Moffatt never got together, PMGear would be humming like Schiit! 
                       Greetings from the whippersnapper

May 12, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #2,415 of 12,196
Hi All, 

I just want to give my 2p worth of comment on the Yggdrasil :)

The Yggdrasil is hooked up on my week since last Wednesday  I left it on for 2 days with music playing through it ...

Than on Friday morning started to listen to some music and ... It's simply sensational!!!! I really can't believe the difference, difference that has been immediately noticed even by my wife !!!

My wife said "It's like having the singer(s) and/or concert here!!!" .

The sound really is like night and day!!!
anyway here are two picture of the Yggdrasil hooked up into my system :

"Your account does not have the required permissions to access this page."

Unfortunately it seems that I can't add any pictures :frowning2:

Anyway have a nice day, 

Ben

Users who are viewing this thread

Back