Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
May 4, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #2,371 of 12,305
  Does the wiring from the power station to the transformer to your residence to your circuit breakers to your outlets matter? Or is it just the last 2.5 meters that matters?

Having done some tests and accumulated some results based upon the branch circuit from the panel in my house, and other peoples and places, branch circuits as well, I can say that the feed from the breaker box to the equipment is important.
So can the first, (or last), 6' depending upon which way you look at it, be any less important?
Again from my measurements, it is as important as well, as is the duplex receptacle, etc.

Each of these portions of the power feed can act as a 'choke point' either separately or in combination with each other.

I use an ASCC tester to measure instantaneous current delivery and have correlated these measurements with improvements in SQ.
I also hope to continue this investigation now that I have a decent scope to use.
This is gunna be great… 
atsmile.gif

JJ

May 4, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #2,372 of 12,305
  Based on previous experience, before getting the Yggy, a typical powerstrip from a DIY store will degrade the sound compared  to direct to wall socket. And a carefully chosen posh power conditioner will improve the sound compared to direct to wall socket. And when I say posh, I'm talking about conditioners that typically cost more than the Yggy itself. 

I haven't directly tried my Yggy with/without power conditioner, but I did try different power cords, and for me, that is well worth it for the Yggy. As always, these differences are probably objectively small, but somehow it subjectively matters. I've long given up trying to work out why.

My power conditioner came in at around the same money as Yggy. Being that it powers my whole system, not just the Yggy, I found it a worthy investment given the improvement in sound it provides.

May 5, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #2,373 of 12,305
Any suggestions for some upbeat classical or otherwise piano?

Looks like you had many posts, which I hope all helps. I delayed mine until I had time to listen. Sorry for my days of delay.
This song always brings me up:

Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-flat major, "Emperor", Op. 73: II. Adagio Un Poco Moto / III. Rondo.Allegro

May 5, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #2,374 of 12,305
  Does the wiring from the power station to the transformer to your residence to your circuit breakers to your outlets matter? Or is it just the last 2.5 meters that matters?

The reason quality power cords have an audible effect on the gear they are plugged into is because they tend to act as a noise filter of sorts. This is both from AC line noise and from external EMI/RFI producing sources - Wall socket to audio equipment - (which is pretty much all around us to some extent).

Most people don't realize that even the most expensive audio equipment pollutes the power grid - - So in actuality you are not only fighting noisy in-coming power,  but outgoing as well...
Better power cords simply do a better job at filtering the noise in both directions.

May 6, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #2,375 of 12,305

The reason quality power cords have an audible effect on the gear they are plugged into is because they tend to act as a noise filter of sorts. This is both from AC line noise and from external EMI/RFI producing sources - Wall socket to audio equipment - (which is pretty much all around us to some extent).

Most people don't realize that even the most expensive audio equipment pollutes the power grid - - So in actuality you are not only fighting noisy in-coming power,  but outgoing as well...
Better power cords simply do a better job at filtering the noise in both directions.

I agree.
But there is also the ability of better cables to deliver greater amounts of current quickly.

I have found that the more the cable can provide this capability the better everything sounds.

JJ

May 6, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #2,376 of 12,305
  I agree.
But there is also the ability of better cables to deliver greater amounts of current quickly.

I have found that the more the cable can provide this capability the better everything sounds.

JJ

This is true, but I would word it a little differently...

All power cords are limited by the current coming from the wall, so it's probably better to say that: "a quality power cord is likely less current limiting than a stock (in-the-box) cable".

May 6, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #2,377 of 12,305
Yes.
I measured several different cables, from the same duplex receptacle that feeds my system.

The differences were significant.

But my measurements were aimed at the ability to deliver current quickly (as in 8ms) which isn't a 'usual' measurement mode that most are used to.

JJ

May 7, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #2,378 of 12,305
FWIW, on the advice of many Head-Fi friends, and over the years, I upgraded every cable from my wall outlet to the cans.  I did notice a SQ improvement with every step.  The cables are listed in my profile.  I recommend them, especially the Wywires.

I'm not looking back.  The next upgrade may be from the breaker panel to the wall outlet, or a power conditioner, but not too likely to happen :).

Cheers,
RCB

May 7, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #2,379 of 12,305
  FWIW, on the advice of many Head-Fi friends, and over the years, I upgraded every cable from my wall outlet to the cans.  I did notice a SQ improvement with every step.  The cables are listed in my profile.  I recommend them, especially the Wywires.

I'm not looking back.  The next upgrade may be from the breaker panel to the wall outlet, or a power conditioner, but not too likely to happen :).

Cheers,
RCB

Hi RCB
I too have done something similar. I did run a dedicated BX 110 volt wire from the box to the wall outlet, then used a standard 20 amp outlet. Can't say i noticed any difference with that. Essentially i wanted to make sure i had a good ground as I was dealing with a Naim amp with a hum. I did notice a moderate difference with a modestly priced (98.00) power bar/ filter. I used a brand from Jenving in Sweden marketed under the Supra brand. I bought a length of cable and plugs  and made all my own custom length power cords.  Made a nice difference. I use their speaker wire as well, the Quadrax. and their balanced interconnects. Best I've found so far.  Prices are all reasonable.  My point i'd like to make is I've found that you don't need to spend the big bucks on power conditioners any more.  Brands like Vinny Rossi are building in AC wire noise filters right in the amps and they specifically do not recommend spend the money on power filters as they do it for you. . The actual cost of parts is not much at all.  Supra built in a AC noise filter in their power bar and I found it very effective.  Some companies seem to know how to do this well for not much $$$. Others not so well. I have a Furman power conditioner that costs about $275 and it pales in comparison to the $100 dollar Supra power bar.  I also tried a $1,800 power bar and id sounded the same as the Supra.   Go figure.  I also bought some Nordost power cables and they are for sale as I wouldn't give you a penny for them, they made every thing sound high pitched and thin.
After installing the supra brand cables ( which you can buy off their eBay store) I now focus on building my music library as I don't think i can make the sound any better for reasonable costs.

May 7, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #2,380 of 12,305
Too funny., Whenever conversation goes to cables, DIY modifications, power supply, "caps", and even to "this brand vs. that brand" .... me as as "audiophile" OR me as "a guy with upgradeitus" is motivated to think and rethink - and sometimes spend money. It's natural, I guess, that people think, have greed, and are frequently irrational (even in the name of being rational).  But all this brain work makes threads like this quite funny at times. Funny how? Well, I"m laughing at me mostly. I know that I have spent much money to test out what other people claim makes a difference in sound quality. And, my results vary. Sometimes I'm sure I've made an expensive mistake (and sometimes that opinion falters regularly while other times it remains intact endlessly). Sometimes I think I've added the "last 5-10% of improvement" but still this may just be a convenient interpretation that matches a rationalization (due to the money spent, or the good mood I was in listening the first time, etc.) But seriously, can we really "hear 5%" improvement? Other times I'm SURE that sound has improved dramatically!!! (and yet I will question it later). All in all, I'm laughing. Sadly, at myself.

May 7, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #2,381 of 12,305
  Too funny., Whenever conversation goes to cables, DIY modifications, power supply, "caps", and even to "this brand vs. that brand" .... me as as "audiophile" OR me as "a guy with upgradeitus" is motivated to think and rethink - and sometimes spend money. It's natural, I guess, that people think, have greed, and are frequently irrational (even in the name of being rational).  But all this brain work makes threads like this quite funny at times. Funny how? Well, I"m laughing at me mostly. I know that I have spent much money to test out what other people claim makes a difference in sound quality. And, my results vary. Sometimes I'm sure I've made an expensive mistake (and sometimes that opinion falters regularly while other times it remains intact endlessly). Sometimes I think I've added the "last 5-10% of improvement" but still this may just be a convenient interpretation that matches a rationalization (due to the money spent, or the good mood I was in listening the first time, etc.) But seriously, can we really "hear 5%" improvement? Other times I'm SURE that sound has improved dramatically!!! (and yet I will question it later). All in all, I'm laughing. Sadly, at myself.

I tend to be a believer in the Jason Stoddard "Scotch mod", or in my case the "craft beer" mod, whenever I feel like spending money on something that probably won't make a shred of difference in the sound.  I've saved a lot of money and it almost always provides an increase in sound quality... ha.

May 8, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #2,382 of 12,305
I've always been curious at how many people drink during their listening sessions.  Everything sounds worse to me when I'm under the influence, in a variety of different ways that I'm somehow always perfectly well aware of despite the situation.  Evidently I'm in the minority.

May 9, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #2,383 of 12,305
  I've always been curious at how many people drink during their listening sessions.  Everything sounds worse to me when I'm under the influence, in a variety of different ways that I'm somehow always perfectly well aware of despite the situation.  Evidently I'm in the minority.

Agree with this.
In a way its sort of logical - your brain/perceptions are not functioning optimally.
When I'm tired/fatigued I often find the same - probably for similar reasons.

.......on the other hand if I'm listening to rubbish equipment maybe being inebriated could make it sound more satisfactory.
confused_face_2.gif

May 9, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #2,384 of 12,305
Well, 'optimal' is often the net product of multiple factors, many acting against each other.

I used to find drinking - up to a point - slowed my chattering mind and relaxed me too. As I found myself much more receptive to music it is possible to infer the benefit of the drinking outweighed the presumed negative effects.

Beyond a certain amount - well, the music didn't seem to matter much :wink:

Tiredness...yes I agree. Listening to (most) music is pretty much a waste of time for me in this state.

your brain/perceptions are not functioning optimally.
When I'm tired/fatigued I often find the same - probably for similar reasons.

.......on the other hand if I'm listening to rubbish equipment maybe being inebriated could make it sound more satisfactory.:confused_face_2:  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back