Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
May 9, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #2,386 of 12,305
Ah yes, that too. Though of course I didn't inhale :evil:

May 9, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #2,387 of 12,305
  Too funny., Whenever conversation goes to cables, DIY modifications, power supply, "caps", and even to "this brand vs. that brand" .... me as as "audiophile" OR me as "a guy with upgradeitus" is motivated to think and rethink - and sometimes spend money. It's natural, I guess, that people think, have greed, and are frequently irrational (even in the name of being rational).  But all this brain work makes threads like this quite funny at times. Funny how? Well, I"m laughing at me mostly. I know that I have spent much money to test out what other people claim makes a difference in sound quality. And, my results vary. Sometimes I'm sure I've made an expensive mistake (and sometimes that opinion falters regularly while other times it remains intact endlessly). Sometimes I think I've added the "last 5-10% of improvement" but still this may just be a convenient interpretation that matches a rationalization (due to the money spent, or the good mood I was in listening the first time, etc.) But seriously, can we really "hear 5%" improvement? Other times I'm SURE that sound has improved dramatically!!! (and yet I will question it later). All in all, I'm laughing. Sadly, at myself.

I certainly hear what you're saying, and appreciate the post.  I agree despite posting about my upgraded cables.  I understand the concept of buyer's appreciation and lack of remorse for the purchase. Just IMO, every upgrade I've made (and I'm about done with them) has improved the SQ of my home rig.  The cables had smaller improvements.  The most dramatic was the MB Schiit technology in the Gumby.  I've heard the Yggy and want it - maybe in the future.  It's smoother and more resolving than the GMB, to my ears.

Anyway, be sure to listen at a reasonable pressure level, so you can continue this wonderful hobby long into your years.

Best regards,
RCB

May 9, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #2,388 of 12,305
  I've always been curious at how many people drink during their listening sessions.  Everything sounds worse to me when I'm under the influence, in a variety of different ways that I'm somehow always perfectly well aware of despite the situation.  Evidently I'm in the minority.

Just for me, YMMV, it's my relaxation time.  Various libations, quiet time to enjoy the music, and fooling around posting on Head-Fi.  Learning about new music and gear from my Head-Fi friends.  I've always thought the libations make the music sound better to me, but it probably relates more to comfort level than to SQ.  I'm not trying to A/B any equipment or perform critical listening during these periods.  And, good scotch is really good.  IMO, y'all.

May 10, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #2,389 of 12,305

When I first began to listen to music back in the 70s I felt that being in an altered state greatly enhanced the enjoyment, so it was almost a prerequisite for serious listening. My rationale was, a favorite piece of music you've heard a hundred times loses it's novelty and its power to transport you, and in an altered state all things are new, you kind of "forget" the music and get to rediscover it, which is wonderful. Of course I left those altered states behind me decades ago, but I've found in recent years that turning down the lights and sipping an ice cold gin martini helps shut down the noise in my brain and let me focus on and savor the music. I agree though that overindulging will ruin the effect and make listening impossible.

May 10, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #2,390 of 12,305

Only just got my Yggy - but even with very few hours playing it's sounding pretty special.
Lovely timbral complexity and clarity - the fine textural detail of instruments and voices really draws you into the music. 
I was worried after reading some comparisons that the sound might be a bit 'dry' - but instruments have a wonderfully natural reverberation/decay into space. Great dynamic liveliness too. 
Actually, it even sounds excellent with material sourced from Spotify. 
It really plays to the strengths of my Harbeth speakers - wow, I'm gonna lose a lot of sleep listening to this thing!

May 10, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #2,392 of 12,305
  How did you get a black one?

Luck of the draw- that's what came (ordered thru my dealer in Australia).
bigsmile_face.gif

May 10, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #2,394 of 12,305
  When is the last time Schiit did a run of black Yggdrasil's?  I'm going to hold out for one.  Maybe this spring...

That was from December ...I'm still holding out...  I'd take a black Gumby too.  With these perpetual back orders, I think all I can hope for is a metal screw-up from the supplier that requires a black powder coat to fix.  

May 10, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #2,396 of 12,305
Greetings guys,
I have been active on computeraudiophile for many years - new member here.
I recently sold my QB-9 DSD to buy an Yggy. Took a detour and bought a Chord Mojo for fun while waiting to place my order with Schiit.
Rest of my system is Nagra/Magico.

Then there was this "huge" controversy about the "glitch" on ca in April.

Long story short, someone attributed the Yggy "Magic" to a "glitch", a little too much energy in the output...
I am not very technical. There are many pages of childish crap, then a statement by Baldur that kinda confirms the findings - this is my interpretation.
I am still planning to buy the Yggy - But I am surprised to see no echo of this other discussion here.

Just trying to get as much education as possible.

Thanks

May 10, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #2,399 of 12,305
  Greetings guys,
I recently sold my QB-9 DSD to buy an Yggy. Took a detour and bought a Chord Mojo for fun while waiting to place my order with Schiit.

Long story story, someone attributed the Yggy "Magic" to a "glitch", a little too much energy in the output...
I am not very technical. There are many pages of childish crap, then a statement by Baldur that kinda confirms the findings - this is my interpretation.
I am still planning to buy the Yggy - But I am surprised to see no echo of this other discussion here.

Thanks

Hmm   not sure about any of that,, CA can be really good and other times it seems like a bunch of dudes that like to argue rather than listen to music.  I've had a Yaggi for about 6 months and am building a system around it. I could never say enough good about it shy of one lazy comment that i wish it had a remote for the input switching function. And i did cover the lights with silver dimmers cause i don't like bright lights on my gear.  I run a Apple TV through the Toslink input, I run a moon mind 180 via AES / EBU input, and a TV converter via the Co Ax input.  FYI I prefer my stereo through the AES / ABU over the USB input ( although marginally)  I make good use of the phase invert button when playing back ripped CD's. It doesn't seem to help when playing 24 bit files. 
FYI a big decision for me prior to buying was  to do to not do DSD.  I haven't missed it one iota and in the long run saved me a sh.. ton of money as i had / have an extensive Cd collection which is slowly getting ripped on to my server. I only buy downloads for music i want and don't have. Even Tidal is sounding pretty good!!!   No regrets..  

May 11, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #2,400 of 12,305
  Greetings guys,

Long story short, someone attributed the Yggy "Magic" to a "glitch", a little too much energy in the output...

Thanks

I read through most of that controversy, seems to be based on one persons comparisons to the rather unusual Phasure NOS 2 dac.
Appears to be pure conjecture by that person regarding cause and effect (of something only he apparently hears)
confused_face_2.gif

Bob Katz and Tyll Hertsens didn't comment on any anomalies with the Yggy when they did some blind comparisons with another (more expensive) dac - and Bob was using recordings he mastered and knows intimately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back