Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 18, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #2,311 of 12,406
All problems fixed. Thanks

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #2,312 of 12,406
Originally Posted by davesa 

After a 4 week wait my Yggy arrived today. So far sounds great - I have it paired with my Carbon / Stax Sr-009 and so far it is an amazing combo.

Now I have to wait as it warms up but I am excited to rediscover so many of my favorite CD's over the next week or so.

Is that the liquid carbon you speak of?do you find it has enough power to drive the stax?

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #2,313 of 12,406
  Originally Posted by davesa 

After a 4 week wait my Yggy arrived today. So far sounds great - I have it paired with my Carbon / Stax Sr-009 and so far it is an amazing combo.

Now I have to wait as it warms up but I am excited to rediscover so many of my favorite CD's over the next week or so.

Is that the liquid carbon you speak of?do you find it has enough power to drive the stax?

LOL, no. It's the KGSShv Carbon, a completely different amp, and widely regarded as currently the best solid-state driver option for Stax 007 and 009. The "Carbon" in KGSShv Carbon references the cutting-edge Sic FET (silicon carbide) devices it uses. It is confusing that it shares its name with the liquid carbon, though. Other than both being solid-state, they are nothing alike. Not sure what is Carbon-y about the liquid carbon.

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #2,315 of 12,406
the liquid carbon is actually quite a nice amp...i take it with me when i travel and use it with my hugo and it drives my HE1000's or HD800S's quite nicely

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #2,316 of 12,406
First impressions of the Yiggy after listening to it for about 4 hours, playing games and music

My setup: PC > USB cable > Yiggy > Wywires Silver IC > Oppo HA-1 > Wywires Red > Ether C

i had been listening to the Oppo Ha-1 for over a year now, and for about a month with the Ether C which has been fully burned in. This would be a direct comparison between the Oppo HA-1's DAC vs the Yiggy. 

Bass:
As i played my favourite EDM tracks, the bass felt pretty tight, impactful and punchy. That being said, i still do EQ the sub bass below 125hz +4.5db  as i use my Ether C's without extra tuning pads and need abit more bass. Man... i felt a special energy when listening to Five Hours track i didn't really feel with the Oppo. There just seems to be more details in the bass, and damn it feels tight.

Mids:
The Oppo HA-1 and its Sabre DAC is very much neutral and organic. i've liked it for a long time for its ability to be neutral and sort of cost effective DAC/Amp combo, but i bought the Yiggy expecting a step up to what i had and so far without having gone through the full burn in, i think i can say that there's almost no difference for me to the mids. However, when i played around with the Phase Inverter switch, something seemed to change. The mids seemed fuller to me, the imaging and soundstage expanded, and the mids felt really smooth, full bodied and detailed.

Treble:
This is where it really is a BIG differentiator for me. Before with the Oppo HA-1, there were the odd shrills with some tracks which i've had to EQ down 2-3db at the 6-8K mark. However, when i played the Yiggy with a flat EQ with the same track, the point of where the music would have sounded shrilly with the Oppo was nicely rounded off and actually didn't make me cringe one bit! Holy cow. 
I also felt that the high notes seem to have better clarity and resolution to them

Soundstage:
Definitely much expanded soundstage compared to the Sabre DAC. This was my primary motivating factor for buying a standalone DAC and i'm really happy that this nailed it for me.

Aside from the change in DAC, i had also incorporated my interconnects so i too wonder how much of the improvement in sound would be attributed to them. Pretty damn pleased i am with the Wywires ICs, its the first time i spent so much on a cable!

i'm looking for further improvement as the Yiggy gets burned in and will post further impressions as my yiggy ages :)

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #2,317 of 12,406
I've had my Yggdrasil for a while now and I'm having a major problem getting it to work with the HiFiMan HM-901. Whether using the HM-901 with the dock or just the digital cable to the Yggy I either get the degrade light when playing back red book digital or constant clicking with no sound when trying to play back anything above 44.1. I've used optical and coax outs from the HM-901 and different cables with the same results. Does anyone have a solution or are these 2 a bad combination? Thanks.

Apr 25, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #2,318 of 12,406
In regard to the post by Essentiale  above, I would echo his comments - I do like my Oppo HA-1 and find it a good all around Amp/DAC combo. I currently have it driving my Audeze XC and I also had it driving my Stax as a DAC before my Yggdrasil arrived. I have noticed an improvement in the sound since switching  and I do not have high end interconnects. I was running balanced out of the HA-1 and I am running balanced out of the Yggdrasil also.

I also have noticed an improvement in the depth of the sound on some recordings when using the phase button - not on all but on some. I now find myself experimenting a bit to see which setting sounds better and leaving it there for that CD.

Apr 25, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #2,319 of 12,406
I find I sometimes hear a bit of muddiness in the lower regions of my HD800. Bass, I suppose, is difficult to reproduce with the air and clarity of the treble, but I'm wondering whether this is a transducer issue, a Mjolnir 2 issue, or (given that it's the weakest link in the chain) a Bifrost issue.

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #2,320 of 12,406
Have used the coax out on two DAPs cd player to yggy without any issues, especially during a couple hundred hours of burn in.   But I was using good cables which made solid connections.  Could your connections be causing the intermittent problem?

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #2,321 of 12,406
Have tested the Yggy in my system with the GS-X mk2 and HD800 for about 2 weeks now.  Bought it used and wasn't really planning to keep it.  Like my vintage DAC too much.  However, it definitely does some things clearly better than the vintage one.  Might keep it.

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #2,323 of 12,406
 Have used the coax out on two DAPs cd player to yggy without any issues, especially during a couple hundred hours of burn in.   But I was using good cables which made solid connections.  Could your connections be causing the intermittent problem?

I use the Colorfly C4 coax out with the Yggy now and no issues. I don't have any issues with the Yggy and any other transport or with the HM-901 and any other DAC, it's just when I connect the HM-901 to the Yggy I have these problems, and the HM-901 is the one I really want to use as my main transport.

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #2,324 of 12,406
  First impressions of the Yiggy after listening to it for about 4 hours, playing games and music

My setup: PC > USB cable > Yiggy > Wywires Silver IC > Oppo HA-1 > Wywires Red > Ether C

When I had the HA-1 here, I compared the SQ of its amp section, and I felt it wasn't quite able to deliver the level of detail I knew the DAC was capable of. If you can afford to do so, I'd recommend getting the Ragnarok to go with it. I really liked the whole package with the Ethers.

I find I sometimes hear a bit of muddiness in the lower regions of my HD800. Bass, I suppose, is difficult to reproduce with the air and clarity of the treble, but I'm wondering whether this is a transducer issue, a Mjolnir 2 issue, or (given that it's the weakest link in the chain) a Bifrost issue.

Ha... the old joke goes if you're not happy... roll tubes. Bass not right? Roll tubes. Treble too grainy? Roll tubes.
wink_face.gif

Joking aside, I haven't personally auditioned the Bifrost or the Mjolnir 2, but it's definitely not the HD800s.

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #2,325 of 12,406
With regards to leaving the yiggy plugged in, does it mean plugged in to power but the power switch is turned off? Or keep it turned on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back