Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 9, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #2,281 of 12,398
would someone be able to post their impressions of the Yggy as it plays piano pieces?

preferably jazz by Thelonius Monk or some Classical  (for example by  Chopin, Satie, Bartok or Lizst , it doesn't have to be any one of these but I'm just remembering these 4 as i type)

I'm looking for tonal/timbre descriptions and  impressions, as well as transient speed in addition to the sustain and decay of notes.

TIA

Apr 9, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #2,282 of 12,398
  would someone be able to post their impressions of the Yggy as it plays piano pieces?

preferably jazz by Thelonius Monk or some Classical  (for example by  Chopin, Satie, Bartok or Lizst , it doesn't have to be any one of these but I'm just remembering these 4 as i type)

I'm looking for tonal/timbre descriptions and  impressions, as well as transient speed in addition to the sustain and decay of notes.

TIA

Are you familiar with Equinox by Thelonius? The starting bass line is either mic'd bad or mastered poorly, as there is a small static burst at every twing of the bass string. I guess that tells you something about the Yggy's resolution. Tonality and Timbre seem great, but I don't have any baselines for comparison, so it's a pretty useless data point.

edit:
I guess you spelled "Thelonius" wrong (I've never heard of the artist so I didn't know). It's "Thelonious" and that other song I talked about I guess is a different artist maybe? It's still jazz so I'm not sure.

Apr 9, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #2,283 of 12,398
  Are you familiar with Equinox by Thelonius? The starting bass line is either mic'd bad or mastered poorly, as there is a small static burst at every twing of the bass string. I guess that tells you something about the Yggy's resolution. Tonality and Timbre seem great, but I don't have any baselines for comparison, so it's a pretty useless data point.

edit:
I guess you spelled "Thelonius" wrong (I've never heard of the artist so I didn't know). It's "Thelonious" and that other song I talked about I guess is a different artist maybe? It's still jazz so I'm not sure.

yes, i did spell it incorrectly, thank you for pointing it out.

i believe you are referring to John Coltrane's Equinox, . But equinox is jazz, and i believe McCoy Tyner was part of Coltrane's quartet at the time as his pianist, but i could be wrong . So lets use that piece,  how does the piano sound in terms of glassiness , i think you should be able to describe that without a reference point. 

Apr 9, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #2,284 of 12,398

TIA

I've had Vladimir Horowitz over on occasion to perform in my living room. Right now Red Garland is here with Miles Davis and the boys. That's how well Yggy reproduces the recorded piano.

Apr 10, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #2,285 of 12,398
I've had Vladimir Horowitz over on occasion to perform in my living room. Right now Red Garland is here with Miles Davis and the boys. That's how well Yggy reproduces the recorded piano.

Hmm that's quite interesting however I was looking for a more descriptive explanation of the actual sound of the piano on a chosen piece. Too often I have heard what you have just claimed, went over to another's home to listen only to leave scratching my head wondering if that person has actually heard live music

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #2,286 of 12,398

Hmm that's quite interesting however I was looking for a more descriptive explanation of the actual sound of the piano on a chosen piece. Too often I have heard what you have just claimed, went over to another's home to listen only to leave scratching my head wondering if that person has actually heard live music

I am sorry that my explanation didn't meet your needs. The primary memory I carry of a live piano comes from listening to a colleague play some solo pieces on a 1912 Steinway in his living room. Given that no transducer will sound exactly like said piano, all I can offer is that based on this experience, and many other live music references, Yggy makes a piano sound like a piano. Forgive the lack of detail regarding the sustain of the metal frame and wood cabinet, comments on pedal technique, the delicacy of felt hammers coaxing sound from metal strings, and so forth. I was tired last night when I responded.

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #2,287 of 12,398

TIA

A while after I got my Yggdrasil, I received a brief letter from my baby-grand; it read:

“For so many years you would come home to me and the very first thing you would do, even before removing your shoes, was to come and sit with me, softly caress my, now so well fingered and colored, keys.

You would lose yourself in me, losing track of time, sometimes playfully, sometimes tenderly, sometimes with not-quite veiled aggression, but always with reverence, passion and love.

What happened?  I don’t understand …”

I responded:

“It’s not you; it’s me.

I can’t play piano … I never could.

At best I’m a ten-thumbed, tone-deaf, talentless noise-polluter.  That you have always been so completely enamored with, and tolerant of, the attention that accompanied my clumsy, ham fisted interference with your majestic splendor is more flattering than I deserve.

And … I met someone.  They’re not you.  But they have inspired me to want to learn to do your ample talents and magnificence justice.

I will be back, if you will have me, and we’ll make sweeter music than we ever have before, but first I have to finish l what I started here and learn enough that, when I next let my hands alight upon you, and lose myself in your sonorous embrace, it’ll be to make true music and not to subject you to the sticky fumbling of an unworldly, uneducated, adolescent.”

--

Yggdrasil renders piano so beautifully that it has inspired me to learn to play properly.  Even my girlfriend (it’s actually her piano, her parents played – she doesn’t), is impressed with how good it sounds.  She grew up around her parents playing it.  She came home one day when I had some music playing … I stopped it, greeted her, and was met with her saying “I didn’t know you could play so well!”

More than that … Yggdrasil is so good that, if the information is in the recording, I can easily discern, spatially, the difference between the notes that are being played.  It takes a good speaker rig or headphones like the HD800S or Abyss to measure up to that kind of resolution and imaging … but it’s a very obvious placement of every key and string.

Probably still not what you’re looking for, but I’ve never heard a more realistic portrayal from any DAC.

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #2,288 of 12,398

Please take this as a request for more information and not as being argumentative.  I am fairly ignorant of a lot of these matters.

I am curious as to how/what kind of piano you are trying to describe playing through the Yggy.  It could be different kinds of piano in different kinds of venues (living room, small club, large hall, etc).  You could even mean as someone sitting at the instrument playing it.

I think you said Jazz so you are not talking steinways or the other large pianos?  Maybe you intend/include those uprights like played by the guy in Casablanca?

Personally I'm a fan of stringed instruments like guitar, violin, viola, cello so that is what I would listen to.  I'm even trying to find a good example of the Japanese koto!

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #2,289 of 12,398
  Please take this as a request for more information and not as being argumentative.  I am fairly ignorant of a lot of these matters.

I am curious as to how/what kind of piano you are trying to describe playing through the Yggy.  It could be different kinds of piano in different kinds of venues (living room, small club, large hall, etc).  You could even mean as someone sitting at the instrument playing it.

I think you said Jazz so you are not talking steinways or the other large pianos?  Maybe you intend/include those uprights like played by the guy in Casablanca?

Personally I'm a fan of stringed instruments like guitar, violin, viola, cello so that is what I would listen to.  I'm even trying to find a good example of the Japanese koto!

thanks i appreciate you trying and answering, at least the enthusiasm you have for the Yggy can speak volumes

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #2,290 of 12,398

oh, i though that mentioning someone like Thelonius Monk might be helpful, if someone listened and tried to describe what they heard for a small portion on a particular piece. Difficult for sure, but certainly helps even the listener is attaching differences to all the pieces of musical gear they listen to for enjoyment or  impressions.  Words like "better", IMHO i find meaningless, but words like attack, sustain, decay, timbre, i find  more useful, and words like weight, glassiness, woody, brassy, blatty, speed as additional descriptors of sonics very helpful as well as being able to talk about the melody or harmony that the individual or groups of instruments (or voices) add.

I too love violin, viola and cello !

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #2,291 of 12,398

A while after I got my Yggdrasil, I received a brief letter from my baby-grand; it read:

“For so many years you would come home to me and the very first thing you would do, even before removing your shoes, was to come and sit with me, softly caress my, now so well fingered and colored, keys.

You would lose yourself in me, losing track of time, sometimes playfully, sometimes tenderly, sometimes with not-quite veiled aggression, but always with reverence, passion and love.

What happened?  I don’t understand …”

I responded:

“It’s not you; it’s me.

I can’t play piano … I never could.

At best I’m a ten-thumbed, tone-deaf, talentless noise-polluter.  That you have always been so completely enamored with, and tolerant of, the attention that accompanied my clumsy, ham fisted interference with your majestic splendor is more flattering than I deserve.

And … I met someone.  They’re not you.  But they have inspired me to want to learn to do your ample talents and magnificence justice.

I will be back, if you will have me, and we’ll make sweeter music than we ever have before, but first I have to finish l what I started here and learn enough that, when I next let my hands alight upon you, and lose myself in your sonorous embrace, it’ll be to make true music and not to subject you to the sticky fumbling of an unworldly, uneducated, adolescent.”

--

Yggdrasil renders piano so beautifully that it has inspired me to learn to play properly.  Even my girlfriend (it’s actually her piano, her parents played – she doesn’t), is impressed with how good it sounds.  She grew up around her parents playing it.  She came home one day when I had some music playing … I stopped it, greeted her, and was met with her saying “I didn’t know you could play so well!”

More than that … Yggdrasil is so good that, if the information is in the recording, I can easily discern, spatially, the difference between the notes that are being played.  It takes a good speaker rig or headphones like the HD800S or Abyss to measure up to that kind of resolution and imaging … but it’s a very obvious placement of every key and string.

Probably still not what you’re looking for, but I’ve never heard a more realistic portrayal from any DAC.

Helpful for sure, because its described in the way you are probably best at describing and certainly 'paints' a picture for me. Thanks !!!!

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #2,292 of 12,398
I just received my Yggy today and can't get Usb to work with two Pc's and a Macbook Pro anybody else have this problem ? I contacted Schiit but seeing if there is something I'm missing. Tried two cables but still no go. I sold my Teac but I have an old HiFiMan EF2A that has a dac on it and it found it right away. I would think they tested it before they sent it out but I can't get it to work.The optical works out of my Mac Book but not Usb on anything . Let me know what else to try.

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #2,293 of 12,398
  I just received my Yggy today and can't get Usb to work with two Pc's and a Macbook Pro anybody else have this problem ? I contacted Schiit but seeing if there is something I'm missing. Tried two cables but still no go. I sold my Teac but I have an old HiFiMan EF2A that has a dac on it and it found it right away. I would think they tested it before they sent it out but I can't get it to work.The optical works out of my Mac Book but not Usb on anything . Let me know what else to try.

did you install the Schiit drivers?
http://schiit.com/drivers
also, did you read their help page?
http://schiit.com/faq/dac-problems

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #2,294 of 12,398

Some USB 3 ports on newer Macs don't like the Gen 3 USB it seems.  Try through a USB 2 hub.

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #2,295 of 12,398

I had problems with both Gumby and yggy. After a lot of frustration it turned out to be an issue with noise over usb. I have a high end custom built pc but apparently that doesn't always absolve you of usb problems. The answer for me came in the form of a $99 Wyrd. Plugged it into the chain and I've not had another problem. 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back