Schiit we'd like to see
Aug 29, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #361 of 429
I'd love a Schiit preamp with at least 1 XLR input and maybe some RCA inputs, XLR out, balanced toplogy, and analog bass management with subwoofer output. The Parasound P5 comes very close but it is not balanced internally.

Aug 31, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #362 of 429
A preamp that can function as an RCA to XLR converter and vice-versa would be nice. A lot of active monitors used balanced connections, like the JBL LSR305, and an affordable preamp to fill that role would be great. I know the Mjolnir2 can do this but at $850 it's a bit too rich for driving $500 speakers.

Aug 31, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #363 of 429
As I'm currently looking for amps I've noticed....You go Magni or Asgard for your first...I suppose people have went Magni to Asgard but with the introduction of the M2U there seems to be less reason for that. Especially if your looking to power some high impedance stuff..their difference in power is there but its not huge.

The next logical step in power is Lyr but then that brings tubes into the equation and not everyone wants that. So what ID like to see and it seems it been asked a few times already is a full SS somewhere between Asgard and Lyr. I wouldn't necessarily need 6w into 32 ohms, but I definitely want more than 190mw into 600. So yeah basically Lyr power but in an SS only amp....maybe something that pushes more power to high impedance stuff but still has enough to power the 32 and 60 ohm phones. It would be nice if it was priced right around the Valhalla too.

Lyr with LISST "tubes" should get you there right now, it's a fully SS amp. Though, the price is higher than what you're thinking.

Oct 20, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #364 of 429
I just thought of something I really want that doesn't exist. I would like a standalone box that can do crossfeed. Sort of like the Schiit Loki except it's for crossfeed instead of DSD. As a separate box it can be used with any of the Schiit amps as well as non-Schiit amps, even speakers if someone wants to experiment with that.

Ideally I would want it as part of some preamp with multiple inputs and two outputs for headphone amps and speaker amps, but a single purpose product would work great as well.

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #365 of 429
All the accessories seem to come in small silver boxes the size of a Magni/Modi (i.e. Sys, Mani, Wyrd). My Ragnarok is inbound, and the only thing I would be missing completely is an FM tuner. I actually do have an FM tuner - Parasound TDQ-1600. But it is a big, ugly black box.

Before saying "a tuner would be nice", what are the implications of putting a tuner into a small silver box the size of a Magni/Modi?

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #366 of 429
  All the accessories seem to come in small silver boxes the size of a Magni/Modi (i.e. Sys, Mani, Wyrd). My Ragnarok is inbound, and the only thing I would be missing completely is an FM tuner. I actually do have an FM tuner - Parasound TDQ-1600. But it is a big, ugly black box.

Before saying "a tuner would be nice", what are the implications of putting a tuner into a small silver box the size of a Magni/Modi?

You can get an FM tuner on a chip. Digital read-out and up-down tuning. No sweat.

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #367 of 429
Dec 6, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #368 of 429
I hope all Schiit products can provide a 110V/220V switch so that people will have no trouble traveling with them. It also brings more value to users, as they can sell it to anywhere around the world.

Most WooAudio amps come with a 110V/220V switch. I hope Schiit can also provide this function, or at least in Schiit's mid to high-end products.

Dec 6, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #369 of 429
  I hope all Schiit products can provide a 110V/220V switch so that people will have no trouble traveling with them. It also brings more value to users, as they can sell it to anywhere around the world.

Most WooAudio amps come with a 110V/220V switch. I hope Schiit can also provide this function, or at least in Schiit's mid to high-end products.

this

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #371 of 429
I've love a PC case to match the Bifrost and sit at the bottom of my stack.
Should be large enough to fit a nano ITX motherboard.

Might be a good DIY project if I had an empty bifrost case laying around.

Jan 20, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #372 of 429
Personally I'd love to see a Schiit SYS-like ABX comparator, i.e. a double-blind listening test switcher, which would help people test DACs by themselves without the usual accusations of bias/sited testing/non-verbal cues/etc. Automatic level matching within 0.1 dB would be an incredibly useful feature.

I know Mike Moffat home-brewed a similar device in the 1970's and found it useful, but something like this would be just as useful today. Especially with the "objectivist"/"subjectivist" craze swirling around, this would allow people to bring forth home-grown but reliable evidence much simpler than getting yourself tested in crazy-expensive studio under the X-ray eyes of the local "objectivist" sceptic.

Software ABX is cheap and widely available, but hardware ABX is tougher to find. With all the running controversy of "a DAC is a DAC" or "R2R vs DS", I suspect there is demand for inexpensive random switcher from just about anyone involved in these terapixel debates. People who do reviews and like to compare gear would probably love to have one handy, too. But just about anyone who wants to test audio gear, including cables, would find such a switchbox useful.

The current market for good, inexpensive ABX devices seems non-existent. The QSC ABX comparator is no longer in production, while the AVA ABX comparator sells at 1000$ a pop, which is in ridiculous-pricing land. I find it hard to believe that the cost of the components in the AVA ABX comes anywhere close to the cost of the tech inside a Gungnir DAC... Added ABX functionality and level-matching might justify the cost of making a SYS-like switchbox in a bigger chassis (Bifrost size) and with more input options than just 2.

PS As an example, look at all the hoops one must go through just to set up something resembling double-blind ABX testing at home, for the mundane task of comparing Modi & Mani vs Bifrost & Asgard:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/643368/schiit-modi-and-magni-comparison-to-bifrost-and-asgard
"The Blind A/B Test
I had my wife help me with this, our methodology was as follows:
She would pick a song from my test tracks and play it on one of the two stacks (unplugging and plugging in the headphones each time regardless of whether she switched them on me). She then would switch (or not) the stack that it was plugged in to four or five times, playing the same section of music each time. I recorded which I thought I was hearing and she kept track of what she had it hooked up to. I was in the same room but facing away, and the amps were volume matched using pink noise and a sound recorder I have that has a decibel indicator."

Jan 27, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #373 of 429
I'd like to see a Wyrd 2, with two USB output or more...
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT 1 : because I have two dacs from the same computer in my living room.
 > One for my speaker system inside the receiver
 > One for my my headphones system, which is far away

EDIT 2 : I had also approached the subject on this thread.

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #375 of 429
  I'd like to see a Wyrd 2, with two USB output or more...
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow!

That would be interesting - though isn't there sometimes communication back from the DAC to the PC source? I forget how it works, asynchronous versus the other way of doing USB. But doesn't one of these modes put commands back through the USB to the computer, on when to send the data? And if that's the case, how would that work with two DACs sending the commands back to the computer source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back