Schiit we'd like to see
Mar 30, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #332 of 429
Not just a switch like the Sys, but a mixer might be cool. I like listening to music while running a keyboard through at the same time, so I need two inputs at once with proper grounding and attenuation/ mixing.

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #333 of 429
@jodgey4 I gotta Agree. I just think they should at least TRY branching into other things. I'd like a few products for speakers like dedicated speaker amps, preferably mono-blocks.

what if they tried their hands at some headphones or speakers?
"I'm going to grab my schiits real quick, wait for me in the car." or "Dude, take a listen to my schiits."
"Cans O` Schiit"

have a "experimental" section on their page, and see how people respond to their tests.

Actually a bit of an idea, Four Headphone Chassis, over-ear(open&closed) or on-ear(open&closed). and you can select drivers that come from other headphones that they could fit into it. with some restrictions due to size. also paired with what companies would be willing to make deal for supplying matched drivers.

Cause you know that textured metal look on headphones... *throws money at screen*
but considering the drivers are likely to sound different in a different chassis, it would take some time to adjust particulars for each set of drivers. like mufflers, air flow, Dampening, ETC.

Like the HD600s sound really good but i dont like the look. If I could get the sound or simular sound in a grilled, textured metal style... *throws moar money at screen* oh god... i might have to ready my wallet if they actually try this.

------------

Well I'm done spewing fantasies. the only thing I'd actually expect is dedicated speaker amps.

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #336 of 429

That's fine of course. I use bluetooth headphones on my bike. But I wonder what Schiit in particular would add in that space.

Yes, there are other products that already do that, but call me superficial, I just would like something in a chassis that matches my other small Schiit equipment and at a good price (which Schiit always does).

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #337 of 429

That's fine of course. I use bluetooth headphones on my bike. But I wonder what Schiit in particular would add in that space.

Bluetooth IEMs??

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #338 of 429

Bluetooth IEMs??

Yea, the Jaybird Bluebuds X. Isolation is decent and they are the only ones i've used that don't break from sweat.

Yes, there are other products that already do that, but call me superficial, I just would like something in a chassis that matches my other small Schiit equipment and at a good price (which Schiit always does).

I totally get it. Here's the thing though - I'm pretty sure aluminum isn't radio transparent.
So Schiit's unit would have to have plastic strips for the antennas....which I guess is fine (iPhone / HTC phones do it) but you're inherently limiting the range of the device. The ideal chassis for a wireless thing is all plastic, which just doesn't work with Schiit's aesthetic. 

Also, I don't know that there's any magic they could do to improve the bluetooth spec, even with their no-BS engineering approach. 
You might be best served with a SYS, running it backwards, and having the secondary output go to a bluetooth transmitter thing.

My personal experience with bluetooth in my home is that the connections always suck too much for audio; I would guess it's an interference issue.

Even out on the bike, in nature, with my headphones 2 feet from my phone, the connection isn't always perfect.

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #339 of 429
Yea, the Jaybird Bluebuds X. Isolation is decent and they are the only ones i've used that don't break from sweat.

I need to try the JayBird Bluebuds X, for light jogging and walking outside. Thanks for your impressions.

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #341 of 429
@cspirou that would basically be turning a dac into an dac/amp with limited power. volume control should be an amp's job.

Though what I can say, some HW soft compression for when you use speakers at night, so you can hear quiet scenes in movies. could be small module that you can put inline, with a bypass.

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #342 of 429
  @cspirou that would basically be turning a dac into an dac/amp with limited power. volume control should be an amp's job.

Not if DAC and amp are integrated into a Direct Digital design. Instead of simply cramming both into a single chassis and board, direct digital eliminates the DAC output stage and the amp input stage - DAC output basically goes straight into the amplifier output stage. The potentiometer thus eliminated, it became necessary to control the volume in the digital level, which also eliminates channel imbalance issues with even the best analog potentiometers. The Wadia 151 is a great example of all the features for the digital side, however anyone planning on using larger speakers before it hits a lot of its Class D amp distortion don't like its amp side; when that part is important, there's the NuForce DDA-100 or better, the NAD M3 Digital.

I don't see Schiit using Class D and I'm not sure if this kind of design has issues with anything other than Class D (or the fact that since these were initially for speakers manufacturers can spend a lot less on the chassis size, heatsink, and power supply capacity relative to the given output power by using Class D).

Apr 13, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #344 of 429
@ProtegeManiac
Ohh i learned something new. But it still makes it into a Dac/Amp. and Schiit loves their separate components.

It wouldn't be a dac/amp. If anything it would be a dac/preamp. While digital volume control wouldnt benefit the headphone amps, it would be useful when the dac is plugged directly into powered speakers or when plugged into a power amp. Since its digital control they would mainly just make changes to the firmware with minimal hardware changes. Probably an IR sensor for a remote but thats it.

Apr 13, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #345 of 429
  @ProtegeManiac Ohh i learned something new. But it still makes it into a Dac/Amp. and Schiit loves their separate components.

They already clarified that this isn't topological absolutism but because the discrete analog components they use for amplifiers pick up noise from the other hardware.* If anything, I don't see them using Class D, at least not current tech - a lot of them have higher THD at the same output level as Class A/B amps, so they basically trade switching distortion for a lot more of other distortion types. 

*Seriously, near the beginning of this thread I just said I'd like to see a single chassis DAC-HPamp when possible, and everybody jumped in to bite heads off for several pages - Jason had to get in and clarify what I already interpreted for every other zealot here because apparently when you don't pay attention to details you get the right to be angry. Kind of like in the Sound Science thread where somebody brings up something related to social science, I contribute what social science knows about it, and the "hard science" people ridicule all of social science when I'm the one with degrees in it and some of them aren't even real EE's.

It wouldn't be a dac/amp. If anything it would be a dac/preamp. While digital volume control wouldnt benefit the headphone amps, it would be useful when the dac is plugged directly into powered speakers or when plugged into a power amp. Since its digital control they would mainly just make changes to the firmware with minimal hardware changes. Probably an IR sensor for a remote but thats it.

Like the DACcord? Yeah, I get it. The thing is most manufacturers prefer putting the preamp on the amps for the simple reason that it would have a potentiometer anyway; personally, unless it works as a passive preamp (not sure if they do), I'd also prefer a preamp on the DAC - that way I won't have to switch on the HPamp and just toggle an output switch on the DAC if I'm using the speakers.

Still, from a business standpoint though, I won't hold my breath - not only for the reason already mentioned, but they've already put in the preamp feature on every amp including the Magni2U. And Schiit has to be efficient at this especially when they aren't using cheap labor and relying on volume sales as much as when one does so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back