Schiit we'd like to see
Jan 27, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #376 of 429
Wow!

That would be interesting - though isn't there sometimes communication back from the DAC to the PC source? I forget how it works, asynchronous versus the other way of doing USB. But doesn't one of these modes put commands back through the USB to the computer, on when to send the data? And if that's the case, how would that work with two DACs sending the commands back to the computer source?

I thought the whole purpose of the USB-B connector was that communication is one-way?

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #377 of 429
I thought the whole purpose of the USB-B connector was that communication is one-way?

A link:

http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/USB.html

And a quote:
In asynchronous mode the DAC keeps its timing constant and controls the amount of data send by the PC. By design asynchronous mode eliminates input jitter.

I am by no means an expert, which is why I asked the question. However how can the DAC control the amount of data sent from the PC without sending something in the form of a command back to the PC?

And if two DACs are commanding a PC, how is the PC to respond?

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #378 of 429
I'd like to see a Bifrost with more modular inputs.

I currently have 4 devices around my Bifrost....all of which can output optical, 3 of which can output USB.
Yet my Bifrost has a Coax port that remains unused.

Either that or some kind of an input switcher so my Bifrost can process all of my audio.

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #380 of 429
  A link:

http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/USB.html

And a quote:

I am by no means an expert, which is why I asked the question. However how can the DAC control the amount of data sent from the PC without sending something in the form of a command back to the PC?

And if two DACs are commanding a PC, how is the PC to respond?

oop, I was wrong. checked Wikipedia - it's that the USB-B doesn't provide power:

"Unlike other data cables (e.g., Ethernet, HDMI), each end of a USB cable uses a different kind of connector; a Type-A or a Type-B. This kind of design was chosen to prevent electrical overloads and damaged equipment, as only the Type-A socket provides power."

re: two DACs, I WISH Windows had the ability to output two different signals simultaneously, but it does not.

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #381 of 429

oop, I was wrong. checked Wikipedia - it's that the USB-B doesn't provide power:

"Unlike other data cables (e.g., Ethernet, HDMI), each end of a USB cable uses a different kind of connector; a Type-A or a Type-B. This kind of design was chosen to prevent electrical overloads and damaged equipment, as only the Type-A socket provides power."

re: two DACs, I WISH Windows had the ability to output two different signals simultaneously, but it does not.

Actually you can do this no problem - use JRiver 
biggrin.gif

If you mean output to two DACs 
blink.gif

Jan 27, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #382 of 429
  I'd like to see a Bifrost with more modular inputs.

I currently have 4 devices around my Bifrost....all of which can output optical, 3 of which can output USB.
Yet my Bifrost has a Coax port that remains unused.

Either that or some kind of an input switcher so my Bifrost can process all of my audio.

yes need that too 

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #383 of 429
I would like to see a Fulla-sized DAC/amp with Coax and Optical inputs instead of USB, for use with TV sets. It would be similar in scope to FiiO's D03K:

Note: Strike that. For this functionality just get a modi/magni combo and be done with it.

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #385 of 429

I think it makes sense to hold on to USB, actually. 

I'm not sure about TVs & receivers, but modern game consoles will do USB DAC out.

PS4 can, X1 requires a special authorization chip inside the USB audio device.

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #386 of 429
My dream schiit amp would be fully modular like the bifrost. It will have modular input and output stages that can be swapped. This opens up alot of options to tune and tweak the sound to your liking and the stages could be either solid state or tube, mix and match. Would like Tone control options if there are tubes. Solid State Modules that are descrite and another that is op amp based so you can roll op amps or go descrite.

Customizable and tweakable such as output impedance selector, frequency band roll offs, Bass Boost and Eq adjustments, Crossfeed/soundstage, these tweaks can be on the board themselves to save money on buttons.

This schiit amp would be the amp everyone can call theirs as they can get what they want inside and tune the sound exactly how they want it. Most people are not diy savy or don't have the time to design their own amplifier so if you had a modular amplifier that is easily customizable and tweakable I am sure it will be really popular.

I was thinking this amp/preamp could also be used to go between a dac and an amplifier just to tune the sound. A swiss army knife of an amp that makes things sound how you want in a lossless way.

Feb 20, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #388 of 429
Asgard 3 with bass extension/boost, soundstage adjustments, output impedance selection, feedback or no feedback switch, just more features on asgard 3 would make this amp a great buy. I'd be happy with just bass boost and soundstage. I like ifi ican and project polaris because they have some of the said features.

Feb 21, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #389 of 429
Not only for Schiit but in general: DACs with more digital inputs than the regular 3-5 inputs. These days more and more sources are digital and dacs still have 3-5 inputs. DAC is taking over input switching from pre-amp in my opinion.

Audio Streamer
Cd-player
Blu-ray player
Tv/sat-decoder
Video-streamer
Game console

6 fairly regular digital sources

Scanspeakman

Feb 21, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #390 of 429
Not only for Schiit but in general: DACs with more digital inputs than the regular 3-5 inputs. These days more and more sources are digital and dacs still have 3-5 inputs. DAC is taking over input switching from pre-amp in my opinion.

Audio Streamer
Cd-player
Blu-ray player
Tv/sat-decoder
Video-streamer
Game console

6 fairly regular digital sources

Scanspeakman

This is why I broke down and finally bought a sound processor for my home theater system and I'm going beyond two channel, but even if you're just doing two channel, I feel like a sound processor is worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back