Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Feb 28, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #2,463 of 2,717
I ordered a new silver Vahalla 2 this morning. I'll go with the stock tubes for a while. The Genalex Gold Lion gold pin 12ax7 is one of my favorite new production tubes available so I'll probably have to try a pair of their 6922s soon.
Congrats on the purchase! I've been a happy camper for a few years now. I have never had a chance to try the Genalex gold Lions but I can highly recommend Mullard's CV4024 (and RFT/Brimar ECC81) as somewhat affordable alternatives... (that works super well with adapters)

Feb 28, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #2,464 of 2,717
Congrats on the purchase! I've been a happy camper for a few years now. I have never had a chance to try the Genalex gold Lions but I can highly recommend Mullard's CV4024 (and RFT/Brimar ECC81) as somewhat affordable alternatives... (that works super well with adapters)
Thanks for your input. I've read the tubes that come with it are pretty good. It'll be an easy switch out with my trusty old Asgard 3.

Feb 28, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #2,465 of 2,717
Thanks for your input. I've read the tubes that come with it are pretty good. It'll be an easy switch out with my trusty old Asgard 3.
Right on.. yeah, I think the russian tubes are pretty good indeed.

I have been using the 12AT7's pretty much to "match" my power amp... and I also must confess I like the flare up while turning the Valhalla and the power amp on... Nice aesthetics help... so another reason for me to use the socket savers! :)

Mar 2, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #2,467 of 2,717

My Vahalla 2 made it in one piece. Straight out of the box I was amazed when I gave it a quick listen with my HD600's. They didn't sound this good with my Asgard 3 or Vali 2++. I also have a Drop THX789. I might as well sell those. I'm a CD spinner and use an Audiolab transport. I'm currently using the Modi Multibit 2 but kept my MM1. I sold my AKM Modius a while back. I have an old Pro-ject Dac Box FL that is a NOS DAC. It uses four of the old Philips TD1543 chips. It should be an interesting match with this amp. Can't wait to get the DT880 600 ohm headphones delivered Saturday that I ordered. I'm definitely in Schiit heaven today.

Mar 3, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #2,468 of 2,717

My Vahalla 2 made it in one piece. Straight out of the box I was amazed when I gave it a quick listen with my HD600's. They didn't sound this good with my Asgard 3 or Vali 2++. I also have a Drop THX789. I might as well sell those. I'm a CD spinner and use an Audiolab transport. I'm currently using the Modi Multibit 2 but kept my MM1. I sold my AKM Modius a while back. I have an old Pro-ject Dac Box FL that is a NOS DAC. It uses four of the old Philips TD1543 chips. It should be an interesting match with this amp. Can't wait to get the DT880 600 ohm headphones delivered Saturday that I ordered. I'm definitely in Schiit heaven today.
Have you tried your Focals? Love mine with my Valhalla, especially with the RFT ECC81 tubes.

Mar 3, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #2,469 of 2,717
Have you tried your Focals? Love mine with my Valhalla, especially with the RFT ECC81 tubes.
I sold my Focals. After owning them for two years I just could never warm up to them.
I've played music through the amp for about 11 hours now. I give it a listen once in a while and I do believe the stock tubes have smoothed out. I'm going to give the input tubes a chance before I change them out. The JJ 6922's seem to be popular. I'll check out the RFT ECC81 tubes.

Mar 3, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #2,470 of 2,717
I sold my Focals. After owning them for two years I just could never warm up to them.
I've played music through the amp for about 11 hours now. I give it a listen once in a while and I do believe the stock tubes have smoothed out. I'm going to give the input tubes a chance before I change them out. The JJ 6922's seem to be popular. I'll check out the RFT ECC81 tubes.
Those RFTs are great tubes. You will need adapters for them in Valhalla 2.

Mar 18, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #2,474 of 2,717
I liked those in Mjolnir 2, I imagine they will be nice in the Valhalla as well.

I got a Russian 6J5 quad equivalent in the mail today from Ukraine, even out of the box with no burn they are sounding great in the Valhalla with my HD6XX.

Mar 18, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #2,475 of 2,717
I liked those in Mjolnir 2, I imagine they will be nice in the Valhalla as well.

I got a Russian 6J5 quad equivalent in the mail today from Ukraine, even out of the box with no burn they are sounding great in the Valhalla with my HD6XX.
I still have the stock Russian tubes in, probably 80 hours or so on them. I like them but part of the fun with tube gear is the rolling. I have a pair of JJ 6922s on the way too. Regular pin. The orange globes seem to get favorable recognition. I have 4 Amperex 12ax7 Bugle Boys for other equipment but I'm not that fond of them. We'll see what happens. How's the mail from Ukraine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back