Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Jan 29, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #2,446 of 2,717
Hey Guys,

Decided to jump head first into the hobby. After doing some research I ordered all my gear last night. Ill be listening to mostly classical and playing FPS games. Everything will be hooked up to my PC.

AMP: Schiit Valhalla 2

DAC: Schiit BiFrost 2

Headphones: Sennheiser 800S

After tons of researching I stumbled upon this thread about "rolling tubes", pages 95-110ish have been eye opening for me to say the least! I need a bit of help from any of yall that have experience with the CV455 or the CV4033.

These are the the two tubes that I found.

CV455
https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/12at7-cv455-kb-fb-brimar-rare-triple-mica-1956-nos-valve-tube/

CV4033
https://pulsetubestore.com/products...4-12at7-factory-tested-plug-play-ready-to-use

The price difference between the 2 is huge. Money is not an issue but I don't want to be throwing away cash if the CV455 will sound just as good as the CV4033. What is yalls personal opinion on this? Which tube would you go for? Is there a noticeable difference between the 2? And lastly, I'm assuming I need an adapter for both?
Welcome to the club... I've been using this combo for a few years now... Honestly, play with the original tubes for a while.... They are quite good. :) Rolling is quite personal and I think changes are not huge. At least for my ears and headphones.

Consider adapters. Opens up a big collection of options. :wink:

I have been enjoying the RFT ECC81 mainly because it sounds great and is fairly affordable. Mullard CV4024 and Brimar are also great choices, but their prices have been raising lately. :frowning2:

From the aesthetics side, I personally enjoy the flare up when I turn on the amps, so the RFT/Mullard/Brimar fit this checkbox
:)

Jan 29, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #2,447 of 2,717
Welcome to the club... I've been using this combo for a few years now... Honestly, play with the original tubes for a while.... They are quite good. :) Rolling is quite personal and I think changes are not huge. At least for my ears and headphones.

Consider adapters. Opens up a big collection of options. :wink:

I have been enjoying the RFT ECC81 mainly because it sounds great and is fairly affordable. Mullard CV4024 and Brimar are also great choices, but their prices have been raising lately. :frowning2:

From the aesthetics side, I personally enjoy the flare up when I turn on the amps, so the RFT/Mullard/Brimar fit this checkbox
:)

Yezzir, I plan on using the original tubes for some time before swapping them out. I wound up ordering the 1956 CV455, the Brimar CV4033 57', and the RCA Clear Top 6CG7. Each one will get a few months of trial before swapping out for another pair :)

Jan 29, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #2,448 of 2,717
Yezzir, I plan on using the original tubes for some time before swapping them out. I wound up ordering the 1956 CV455, the Brimar CV4033 57', and the RCA Clear Top 6CG7. Each one will get a few months of trial before swapping out for another pair :)
That is quite a trio!

Jan 29, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #2,449 of 2,717
Good start! You're discovering the real cost of Head-Fi's free membership. :sweat_smile:

Jan 29, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #2,452 of 2,717
You blame us now. You'll thank us later.

And slightly later, blame thank us more**. Then take up vintage Alfa Romeo collecting, because it's a cheaper hobby. 🤣
** because the tubes that you just bought will cost more later. In fact, go back for ‘seconds’!

Feb 6, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #2,453 of 2,717
My CV4033s arrived today.

I don't have the knowledge to accurately describe the differences of what I am hearing from the stock tubes, but I can for sure say these 4033s, compared to sock tubes, are just plain amazing. I've listened to Hans Zimmer - Time 5 times in a row now. I'm hearing instruments that I couldn't hear with the stock tubes. No idea how that is possible, but it is. Also, the sound stage seems noticeably wider, and I don't know if this is a thing or not, but I believe the sound separation has vastly improved.

I'll be honest, when I first hooked up my system this week I wasn't massively impressed and to be honest I expected a touch more than what was actually delivered to my ears. These tubes changed everything.

I thought some of you were nutsy for taking time off work to listen to your library after installing these tubes. I understand why now. I understand.

Edit: Last thing I want to add. The detail or "sharpness" of the sound seems diminished a bit, almost slightly muddied. I'm not sure if I'm expressing that properly. The change is welcomed though. Almost like the stock tubes expressed too much detail, they sounded sharp to my ears. The new tubes take that edge off.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #2,454 of 2,717
I could not find any posts on this (or my search failed me), so if anyone else saw some of the dual 6SN7 posts and wondered, would the chassis accommodate a 6J5 quad? The answer is yes, yes it can.

It certainly looks a bit mad scientist and can have some weird lean to it from all of the connections, but dual 6J5 to 6SN7 adapter to 6SN7 to 6922 adapter to some socket savers does function and fit.

IMG_20230214_163327485_HDR.jpg

Feb 27, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #2,457 of 2,717
Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #2,458 of 2,717
Yes, however, the Valhalla 2 was also reworked to better handle low impedance headphones. If you are planning on using high impedance HPs, then either VH or VH1 should do well.

Here's some addtional info...

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones..._differences_between_valhalla_and_valhalla_2/
Thank you. The Vahalla would be for high impedance like my HD600's and HD650's. I wasn't sure if the front tubes, output I believe, were 6n1p for both the original Vahalla and Vahalla 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back