Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Jan 14, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #1,021 of 2,717
Sorry, your right, those are for my LYR3. I copied the wrong picture. I believe this is what you need.
This is what I use in my MJ2 and will use in Valhalla 2, currently out of stock at Tubemonger but I contacted them yesterday and should be building them and back in stock early Feb

Plug Play NOVIB Socket Saver©-1960s NOS British McMurdo Phenolic socket on Top plus Vibration Reduction Base - 9-pin B9A NOVAL -( NOT MADE IN CHINA) - NEW VERSION
NOVIB-McMurdo-2.jpg

https://www.tubemonger.com/NOVIB_Socket_Saver_1960s_NOS_British_McMurdo_B9A_p/novib-mcmurdo.htm

I would double check with whoever you order from, these are lifters only not adapters which I also have on order for my Valhalla, gets confusing.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #1,023 of 2,717
Jan 14, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #1,024 of 2,717
Welcome to the group!

Hi guys, I am finally a Valhalla owner.
For my Hifiman 400i I have chosen this upgrade from the Asgard 2 and first of all I am assembling an appropriate power cable.
But before starting rolling tubes I d like to try some tweaks like the socket saver.
I am a noob, so which kind of socket and materials should I choose?

There are a few older posts talking about socket savers.. I ended up getting mine through tubemonger... thought it wouldn't "hurt" to pay a bit more and minimize the risk of screwing things up down the road BUT, honestly, good old ebay might be a good friend too... :) :) :)

I am far from an expert myself, but If you're "just" starting... my recommendation is to listen a while with the stock tubes... and the socket savers are "cool" as looks "better" and it helps drop the temperature... so that is a great way to start fine tuning your system...

NOS might be cool avenue, BUT they tend to be more expensive, so you'll get into a rabbit hole... so that might be dangerous.. be aware of that! :)

cheers!

Jan 17, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #1,026 of 2,717
Welcome to the group!

There are a few older posts talking about socket savers.. I ended up getting mine through tubemonger... thought it wouldn't "hurt" to pay a bit more and minimize the risk of screwing things up down the road BUT, honestly, good old ebay might be a good friend too... :) :) :)

I am far from an expert myself, but If you're "just" starting... my recommendation is to listen a while with the stock tubes... and the socket savers are "cool" as looks "better" and it helps drop the temperature... so that is a great way to start fine tuning your system...

NOS might be cool avenue, BUT they tend to be more expensive, so you'll get into a rabbit hole... so that might be dangerous.. be aware of that! :)

cheers!
Thank you very much for your advices, I have just bought the https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-9pin-G...385728?hash=item1ee022a500:g:UmwAAOSwgFJa1V70 so until I will get it I can enjoy the plain Valhalla and hopefully I will hear all the upgrades.

Jan 17, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #1,027 of 2,717
hey! Hope all is well!

Thank you very much for your advices, I have just bought the https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-9pin-G...385728?hash=item1ee022a500:g:UmwAAOSwgFJa1V70 so until I will get it I can enjoy the plain Valhalla and hopefully I will hear all the upgrades.

Right on! Maybe Schiit will place the tubes higher up in a future generation, hehe, but in the meantime, it definitely looks nicer with a lil part of the tubes sticking out of the chassis... and also, I do think it helps cool off as well...

Here's an "old", but probably still accurate article:
http://wallofsound.ca/audioreviews/vacuum-tube-shootout-6dj8-types-part-1/

I am currently using the JJ E88CC (new stock), and I am pretty happy. it ain't that expensive either, so that is a great bonus. I might down the road try to find an "affordable" NOS, but for now... I am pretty happy...

cheers!

Jan 17, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #1,030 of 2,717
I find they are helpful when it comes to getting tubes out of the valhalla. The 6N1P in particular can be a challenge to remove. Socket savers push them up, and aesthetically, I kind of like seeing more of the tubes. Aurally, I did not notice a difference, but I also did not expect a change there.

Jan 17, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #1,031 of 2,717
I am sorry for the noob question, so the jj E88CC are a replacement for the 6N1P, the input tubes?

do you have these with the gold pins? https://www.thetubestore.com/jj-e88cc-6922-gold

Yes, and no, hehe.

I believe they have a slightly different SPEC BUT they can be used as replacement to the stock tubes.

BTW, I got the "regular" JJ's... don't think my "speakers/headphones" and the other devices and therefore, my ears, would allow me to hear a big difference when it comes to the type of "pin"...

I honesty believe in hearing the whole equipment as a "unit", so I wouldn't waste my money picking minute details unless there are super "reference" devices already in the chain... which is NOT my case...

Even listening to music for me is something that I love doing as a relax time and not to "chase" the holy grail... so I don't really mind imperfections here and there... :) I am happy NOT listening via crappy earbuds and/or crappy 10-buck computer speaker, but that doesn't mean I will never be happy if I do not have a super high end set of speakers and headphones...

cheers!

Jan 17, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #1,032 of 2,717
Hi there!

Are socket savers worth the investment, are they needed?

I believe they are an "upgrade" in terms of aesthetics and might help cool down a bit the temperature, as there is a larger area of "hot glass" exposed... If you are more worried about "sound" itself as you might be rolling tubes every now and then... it might help too as "access" might be easier as well.. so yeah, it all depends on your own goals... :)

Jan 18, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #1,033 of 2,717
I'm not using the Valhalla 2 right now (though I probably will again at some point) but it did indeed run significantly cooler when I used socket savers (like others, primarily for aesthetic reasons) or similarity sized adapters for 2C51 tubes. Frankly, I don't understand why Schiit designed the amp with the tubes so low in the chassis since the amp runs much hotter, the tubes are more difficult to insert/remove (once or twice I ended up with a tube rolling around inside the chassis), and the amp is more attractive with the tubes higher (the last is, of course, entirely subjective, but I gather most agree).

Jan 18, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #1,034 of 2,717
hey folks! hope all is well! Happy Friday!

I'm not using the Valhalla 2 right now (though I probably will again at some point) but it did indeed run significantly cooler when I used socket savers (like others, primarily for aesthetic reasons) or similarity sized adapters for 2C51 tubes. Frankly, I don't understand why Schiit designed the amp with the tubes so low in the chassis since the amp runs much hotter, the tubes are more difficult to insert/remove (once or twice I ended up with a tube rolling around inside the chassis), and the amp is more attractive with the tubes higher (the last is, of course, entirely subjective, but I gather most agree).

Hmmm, I think it might have been one of those "design flaws" that no one really spots until it was too late into production... hehe :)

Talking about 2C51... how does an adapter work? are the tubes only "physically" different and then the adapters "hook up" the right "pins" only? or do they have any components to "convert" voltage/current/capacitance/resistance or whatever is needed to make them compatible?

cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back