Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Oct 25, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #991 of 2,717
Can anyone offer any opinions on a pair of tubes that will bring out a little more weight and lushness to the Valhalla 2. I've not felt the need to change the sound since May but I recently picked up a liquid spark and while the v2 is a better amp I want more of that fun mid range sound and a little more weight if possible. Cans are HD600/HD6xx.
I’ve had the Valhalla 2 for about 2 years now. I’m using it with a Bimby Gen 5 and Senn HD700 and Focal Elear headphones. TBH, I really don’t go back to the Senns much anymore since getting the Elears.

Anyway, my first affordable tube upgrade was to a pair of JJ E88CC Gold Pins from The Tube Store. Affordable and they had a noticeably pleasant impact on mids and lows.

Then I bought a pair of NOS Russian 6N23P-EV tubes on eBay from VivaTubes. Long story short, JJ Gold Pins sounded better in my setup but I felt these sounded better than the stock tubes.

Finally, given the rave reviews of the 396a tubes in the Valhalla 2 (need adapters), I bought some adapters and some NOS Russian 6N3P equivalent tubes but I haven’t taken the time to swap out the JJ’s. I went with the Russian versions because, frankly, the Westinghouse 396a tubes are not cheap, and neither are the c251 equivalents. But if cost were no object, I’d buy the made in the USA adapters listed a few posts above and a pair of 396a tubes for the best performance.

Oct 25, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #992 of 2,717
C95AC656-C4AF-42C2-9C5E-6176AEFCFCB1.jpeg
Reporting in as a very happy Valhalla2 owner. I have dabbled with head-fi in the past, but never really got into it as I have had the freedom and luxury of a very good near field system. Anyway, the hd650 hooked me and now I am appreciating great tunes late at night in a full house.

Rolled in Genalex 6922 up front, these are not a romantic sounding tube at all but they are also never harsh and extremely resolving. I think I will settle on something else as a daily driver but for now I am having a great time.

I am looking forward to following this thread.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #995 of 2,717
On a last-minute decision, I ended up ordering the very last B-stock Valhalla 2 from Schiit last week...needless to say, it was quite a step up from the Vali 2 (with a standard EH6CG7) I've been using for the past year or so.
With the crappy Canadian Dollar exchange rate, I don't think I would have been able to afford it at full MSRP (~$460ish CAD without shipping).
I think it complements the big stack of little Schiit(s) on the desk!

20181110_123849.jpg
20181110_123932.jpg

Dec 4, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #1,001 of 2,717
Dec 8, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #1,002 of 2,717
New Valhalla 2 owner and wanted to drop in and say hello. Before I even received my VH2 (used but very well maintained), I ordered a matched pair of Foton triple mica 6N3P input tubes and garage adapters. Also ordered a matched pair of Foton gold grid 6N6P output tubes. The sound is wonderfully smooth with bass far more extended than with the stock tubes. I may have found my end-of-the-line tubes right out of the chute. Wish I'd been so lucky with Lyr 3. :D

Anyhow -- I'll be watching closely and if the tube-rolling bug bites, I'll be ready!!

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #1,003 of 2,717
Just ordered one myself this AM to try with my HD600/800, lots of reading to do on this thread.
On back order to 1/24, gives me time to read on future rolling.

Jan 6, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #1,004 of 2,717
Urgent question guys to close a deal.
I’m being told by the current owner of a Valhalla 2 that the 6n6p tubes lasted him between 400 and 800 hours.
Is this normal? Further, I n another email, he told me he has been using it as a preamp with the volume maxed out a lot of times. Can this be the reason ?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #1,005 of 2,717
Urgent question guys to close a deal.
I’m being told by the current owner of a Valhalla 2 that the 6n6p tubes lasted him between 400 and 800 hours.
Is this normal? Further, I n another email, he told me he has been using it as a preamp with the volume maxed out a lot of times. Can this be the reason ?

hey! i’ve been using a valhalla 2 as a headphone amp and a pre amp as well... and i believe it’s been close to a year with the same tubes... sometimes they are on overnight, especially over weekends... :) so to be honest i think the tubes will last a good while.... but yeah, i don’t crank it up though.
cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back