Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Aug 4, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #678 of 2,717
Thanks guys, I will try those, price is very reasonable... telefunkens are 400-500 USD on ebay for ‘matched’ pair...

I’m very curious (regarding all positive comments here) about ’75 voskhod 6n23p also; price is ‘round 100 USD on ebay …

Did you hear ’75 voskhod on your systems? Can you tell me difference between JJ’s and ’75 HG?

What’s bothering me (I have HD 650; pretty warm, thick sound+ MARANTZ SA player - also very ‘warm’ sound) is: will get some clarity and space, more details with those tubes.

When I played ‘easy’ jazz on this system (with stock Russian tubes) sound is very pleasant, but when I put some classical music- all ‘picture’ become very blurred, ‘heavy’…

Or should I just buy HD800 for classical and more dynamic music?

Agree with those that have said you don't need to spend a lot of money for tubes that give high level performance. And note, all of these comments are IMHO/YMMV.
Can't help with the JJ's, I have some of the other current production but none that I would recommend before the NOS options. Don't know what your reference to the '75 HG is, if it is the '75 Voskhod 6N23P then I would say it's a good tube not a great tube.

TL;DR version: The Reflector 6N3P-E is an excellent high quality/low cost choice.

The Telefunken you mention, assuming you are referring to the E88CC, is one of the very good tubes, certainly one that would put you into high level SQ. Nice tube to have in your collection as a benchmark comparison, but you can do better for less. They can be found for less than $400 on eBay but you do take your chances. Unless it's Langrex (UK), they have an eBay store. They are one of the reliable, high quality sources for the Tele E88CC. About a year ago you would have paid over $300, still a good price for the quality, but at the moment they have them listed at 190GBP or $248 USD. They show only 1 pair available, but their stock list actually shows more than that, may be that the offer page refers to already matched sets. Compare this with the Upscale price at $418 for top grade.

However, back to best sound at best price. For me this would be the Reflector 6N3P-E (adapter required). I have heard these from the years '74 through '88, and they are consistent in SQ, although the '80s are easier to find. I prefer these above every small format 9 pin tube I have purchased and compared. Comparisons include several $$$K worth of the usual top tier Euro/USA from the '60s.
These use the same adapter as the 396A and 5670, both very good tubes but not at the level of the REFL 6N3P-E. Cost is the most reasonable you will find for tubes, matched pairs for ~$20, singles at just a few dollars in small batches of 4 or 8. Do not take this ridiculous low price as a measure of quality, they have been ignored and are still selling at surplus levels.

If this tube interests you and you want additional information and/or sound comparisons, you can search my post history. I started experimenting with these tubes in early 2016 and did post in several different threads. I discovered these while I was doing an extensive comparison of the REFL 6N23PS, which would be my second favorite tube.

The Reflector 6N23P is a great tube, but not quite up to the SQ of the REFL 6N3P-E. The REFL 6N23P has a slightly increased mid bass which may be favored in a headphone like the HD800, or not so favored in something like the HD650, although it does also have very good sub bass. The extra dimension at the low end, while maintaining good performance through the rest of the range, is the reason that this tube, for me, surpasses tubes like the Telefunken E88CC and others in that high cost library. There was considerable interest in these in recent years, especially the '74 and '75. My exploration of the years '68 through '73 easily matched the expensive '74s and '75s I had purchased. Easiest years to find are the early '70s at ~$50 for a matched pair. Note: my sample set on these tubes was considerable, not just a few pairs.

Quick note: my early impression was that if you took the best quality of the Telefunken E88CC and the Reflector 6N23P and combined them, that would be a good starting description of the Reflector 6N3P-E. Remember to SPL match if you do comparisons, the 6N3P-E require just a slight bit more power, about an 1/8" to 1/4" turn on the volume.

BTW, this would be on the Valhalla but also the Mjolnir2, Lyr1/2, and Vali2. For a DAC I'm using the GungnirMB.

A few other points on moving toward the goal of best clarity and 3D experience in complex orchestral passages: At some point you will need to go beyond the HD650. Of course, the HD800/s is a great choice, in a lower price range you can consider the Aeon ($799). You will also want to consider the DAC built into your Marantz. The power tube design for the Valhalla doesn't offer much in the way of tube rolling for the power tubes, but there is the FOTON from the '60s that you can consider at ~$40 a pair. Then there is the amp, if want to move up from there, one easy choice would be the MJ2, or for all-tube options you could look at the larger and more expensive offerings.

Again IMHO. Hope it was helpful. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #679 of 2,717
Power tubes fellas. What do you do about the power tubes?

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #681 of 2,717
$40+$10 shipping for 5$ worth of tubes. No thank you.

I don't need input tubes, so no need to buy a 4x set from Schiit. I emailed them if they would just sell power tubes and its been 10 days. They never got back to me. I take that as a no.

I am just curious what you guys think about power tube matching? Like I said in an earlier post Schiit supposedly matches ALL the tubes they provide, but from what I understand only some amps required matched power tubes.

Besides is matching just snake oil anyway?

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #682 of 2,717

I don't need input tubes, so no need to buy a 4x set from Schiit. I emailed them if they would just sell power tubes and its been 10 days. They never got back to me. I take that as a no.

I am just curious what you guys think about power tube matching? Like I said in an earlier post Schiit supposedly matches ALL the tubes they provide, but from what I understand only some amps required matched power tubes.

I cannot hear difference from a matched pair and an unmatched pair.

Aug 5, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #683 of 2,717

Triodes that are within 20% of each other are considered matched. This does not seem very close to me. I have not heard any difference between matched and random tubes from same seller either.

If you can get the power tubes for less from a reputable seller, please share! I found $34 for a matched pair and figured I could take the preamp tubes for the extra $4

Aug 5, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #684 of 2,717
Is this discussion about matched triodes within each tube or matching between tubes?

Some amps may need matched triodes while others may need matched tubes and some both.
Amp design may also make matching less important.

What about the Valhalla 2?
I am sure I read about it somewhere, I seem to remember that tubes should be a reasonable match with each other, otherwise channel imbalance could result.

It is easy to hear when a triode is weak/bad within the one tube of a Vali 2.

r2

Aug 5, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #685 of 2,717
Is this discussion about matched triodes within each tube or matching between tubes?

Some amps may need matched triodes while others may need matched tubes and some both.
Amp design may also make matching less important.

What about the Valhalla 2?
I am sure I read about it somewhere, I seem to remember that tubes should be a reasonable match with each other, otherwise channel imbalance could result.

It is easy to hear when a triode is weak/bad within the one tube of a Vali 2.

r2

My understanding is that every triode in Valhalla has to be within 20% of each other or they are mismatched. There are 4 preamp triodes and 4 power triodes. Obviously the preamp and power triodes cannot mesdure the same.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #686 of 2,717
Yes, pre amp tube to preamp tube and power tube to power tube.

Some made up numbers:

Tube 1
Triode 1 = 20, Triode 2 = 24
Tube 2
Should be within 20% of Tube 1 thus Triode 1 16 to 24 and Triode 2 at 19 to 29? Or should all Triodes be within the 16 to 24 range?

Does it matter if Tube 2 is Triode 1 = 24 and Triode 2 = 20? In the Valhalla 2 are both Triodes within a tube summed or do they work independently?

r2

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #687 of 2,717
Yes, pre amp tube to preamp tube and power tube to power tube.

Some made up numbers:

Tube 1
Triode 1 = 20, Triode 2 = 24
Tube 2
Should be within 20% of Tube 1 thus Triode 1 16 to 24 and Triode 2 at 19 to 29? Or should all Triodes be within the 16 to 24 range?

Does it matter if Tube 2 is Triode 1 = 24 and Triode 2 = 20? In the Valhalla 2 are both Triodes within a tube summed or do they work independently?

r2

My interpretation would be all triodes should be from 20 to 24. Everyone is free to disagree with me.

Aug 6, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #688 of 2,717
I live in Japan and oddly enough Amazon Japan had some. only 1400 yen for a pair.
That is the cheapest I have seen anywhere. They don't say matched though. Amazon Japan does sell a surprisling large number of tubes and they do indeed sell "matched" pairs on there. But like I said... we have no idea what matched means. And even if a person puts 5% or 1% we just have to take their word for it, and agian I have only seen ONE website say they match the triodes AND paired tubes. http://www.thetubestore.com/
They are also one of the FEW places I seen carry the 6N6P, but for 18$ each, plus 5$ matching charge, then 5$ PER tube to match a pair, plus about 9$ shipping is their cheapest option, $61 for matched triodes and matched pair.

Ebay has TONS. Tons and tons. All around 20-30$ on average going up to 100$ for the "famous Foton factory". Which I Really don't think means sqauit for 6n6p power tubes. Example 25$ set.

What does Gold grid mean. I see a lot of sellers mention that.

I just find it strange there is so little talk about the 6N6P tubes here, when people are talking about spending 300 or even 600$ for the input tubes. Like.... if a 61$ matched pair of 6N6P improved sound a few percentage points... It seems that it would be worth it to those of you willing to fork out more than 100$ for input tubes.

Aug 15, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #689 of 2,717
My Valhalla2 arrived here today. I'm happier than a pig in Schiit. Unbelievable sound for $349.00. I've already rolled in some Reflektor NOS tubes that came out of my preamp Let the tube rolling begin. :D But honestly, its all about the music isn't it.

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #690 of 2,717
Not sure if that is the right thread for my question, so apologies if not.
I am looking into buying a Valhalla 2 amp, and most of my amps are plannars or low impedance (sub-80 ohms. most around 30-40).
I understand the Valhalla 2 is good for those, but coming from SS amp - I am looking for a "tubey" sound (most reviewers keep claiming the Valhalla 2 does not have "tubey" sound).
Any recommendations for tubes to give it a "dreamy" / "euphoric" / "tubey" sound?

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back