Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Nov 10, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #361 of 2,717

Thanks for sharing!  How long did they take to arrive at your house? Do they reduce the heat considerably? Did you notice any change on the sound quality? Thanks.  I'm getting my Valhalla & Modi 2 very soon.

It took them 2 or 3 weeks to arrive (to Europe) if i remember correctly. 

They did lower the heat to the point that i could place and hold my hand on the amp. 
Also noticed some heat reduction when i moved away from russian 6n1p and some 6n23p tubes to PCC88 and E88CC tubes.

They made no impact on the sound as far as i could tell.

Nov 10, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #362 of 2,717
  It took them 2 or 3 weeks to arrive (to Europe) if i remember correctly. 

They did lower the heat to the point that i could place and hold my hand on the amp. 
Also noticed some heat reduction when i moved away from russian 6n1p and some 6n23p tubes to PCC88 and E88CC tubes.

They made no impact on the sound as far as i could tell.

Good info, thanks Redshift Rider. I have not even got my Vahalla 2 and I'm already shopping for tubes.  This is going to be a good Christmas!
I need to buy some BLACK SABLE Raytheon 12AX7 Black Plate for my California Alpha DAC. About $600 for a matched pair.

Nov 15, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #363 of 2,717
I've been trying to find a link or mention of tube options for the Valhalla 2. I just got mine on Friday, out of the box it sounds amazing, but I know I can improve on it. I'm looking for tubes that will add warmth, clarity and great staging. Any suggestions?

Nov 16, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #367 of 2,717
Wow, about 25-30 hours so far on the Valhalla 2, with the Sony HAP-S1 (DSD) into Audeze LCD-2 and also Audioquest Nighthawks...the sound (warmth and spacing) sounds amazing! The stock tubes are legit, but cant wait to finally start tube rolling!

Nov 17, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #368 of 2,717
  I've been trying to find a link or mention of tube options for the Valhalla 2. I just got mine on Friday, out of the box it sounds amazing, but I know I can improve on it. I'm looking for tubes that will add warmth, clarity and great staging. Any suggestions?

I would suggest Philips/Valvo labeled E88CC. Important thing is that they are made in Harleen factory, Holland. 
(they have acid codes with delta symbol). 

Harleen made E88CCs are maybe little less warm overall, but they have greater clarity and soundstaging. 
They are also smoother and more refined across the whole spectrum.  

Stock tubes are indeed warm and glorious, don't rush 
beyersmile.png

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #369 of 2,717
Hello folk, what would be the best tube to go with HD800 and where to get it? I'm pretty new to this. (I'm using Schiit Valhalla 1 Rollable) Thanks in advance.

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #370 of 2,717
After trying some different tubes in both the output (the long in back) and input (short in front) tubes in the Valhalla 2 this is some points I came up with to those who just purchased the Val2 and/or are looking for trying new tubes:

- Don't bother try rolling output tubes( long tall ones in the back). I've tried 4 different, and while they aren't expensive they all sound the same, stick with stock.

-Around 50usd is the sweetspot for good new input tubes. It takes Val2 from being great value at 350usd to insane value. My personal recommendation is getting a matched pair of Russian 6H23p-EB before 1979. Greater sound over the whole freq. and also a bigger more hard hitting sound.

-The Val2 scales really well with input tubes, but you're gonna hit a ceiling somewhere. So before you are chasing 400usd tubes, consider another upgrade path.

-It's easy to be hooked on tubes. There's always something better with better synergy etc. Don't get too caught up in it. While tubes matter, what matter most is your system as whole. Find something that makes you tickle and stay with it.

Just some words from one who has spent maybe too much and tried a few too many different tubes.

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #371 of 2,717
I'm looking to try some tubes with my Valhalla 2 + Modi 2 Uber paired with the HD600s. I've searched around and the Amperex Bugle Boy and Amperex Orange Globe seem to be pretty popular, are they a good step up from the stock tubes or are there other recommendations? Seems right now that the stock setup sounds just a bit bright and a bit shy with the bass/lower end, a tad bit cold in overall sound for my tastes. Is there a tube that might balance things out?  Maybe it needs some "burn in" time? Don't want to go over $100 for a set of tubes, ~$50 would be even better. Links to the actual tubes for sale would be great, I've looked some up for sale and it seems like there's a lot of the same tube names with big variations in pricing, so I have no clue what is what.
confused_face_2.gif
 Some advice would be great, thanks!

Dec 17, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #372 of 2,717
I've got a perfect set of tubes for you for fixing exactly your observations: Siemens ECC85

I've posted my thoughts on this tube elsewhere in this thread.

When I had my HD800 I thought the stock set up was dry sounding. The ECC85 has much better low end than stock and a generally warmer sound. PM me, I have a pair I can part with for within your budget. No hum and not microphonic.

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #373 of 2,717
I've got a perfect set of tubes for you for fixing exactly your observations: Siemens ECC85

I've posted my thoughts on this tube elsewhere in this thread.

When I had my HD800 I thought the stock set up was dry sounding. The ECC85 has much better low end than stock and a generally warmer sound. PM me, I have a pair I can part with for within your budget. No hum and not microphonic.
Where can I get those? I'm running that setup now. I'd like to try a different tube with the hd's

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #374 of 2,717
I found mine on ebay from argentina. Took a few weeks to arive in the US, so that was a downside. I'll give sysfail a couple hours if he wants them, else I'd be happy to send them your way for a fair price.

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #375 of 2,717
I found mine on ebay from argentina. Took a few weeks to arive in the US, so that was a downside. I'll give sysfail a couple hours if he wants them, else I'd be happy to send them your way for a fair price.
Sounds great, I'll gladly take them off your hands if he doesn't respond

Users who are viewing this thread

Back