Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Jun 12, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #331 of 2,717
First of all thanks a lot to feilb for helping me to get a basic understanding of all this. 
Since I had defective 6n6p tubes I replaced them with a 1980s batch (also a recommendation of feilb) and not only is the channel balance back, the slight buzz also went away and I seem to have a clearer background now, some may call it blackground.

Second:

I rolled the ECC85 in the last few days and it tends to give the HD 800 a dark character with a more hefty low ned, however the rolloff removes noticable more "air" than the standard 6N1P. So far they are not to my liking. 

Next up: EC88 (pretty expensive though) and? I'm up for a new ideas.

Jul 9, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #332 of 2,717
Next week I should come by Valhalla2. I Decide what to buy tubes of Russian 6N1P place. It may well be that I'll defective tubes. I own headphones Beyerdynamic T1 @ 600 Ohms, but I do not know what manufacturer will have high quality and cheap tubes. (JJ, TESLA, Harmonix, TAD, Telefunken, Genalex ....) Of course, to put tubes pair with T1.

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/index.php?language=en

Beyerdynamic T1 + Schiit Valhalla2 + Stock 6n1p/6n6p Tubes

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #333 of 2,717
Hey Guys, 

Selling out a bunch of tubes from my stock - e188cc's, e88cc's, CCa's, Mullard Blackburns, rb2013's HG's & Voskhod rockets... Link is below: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/774707/tubes-for-sale-cca-hg-e188cc-e88cc-ecc88

Sep 4, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #334 of 2,717
Yesterday my Valhalla2 came in,
So far I've noticed more details in vocal and guitar and background noice kinda,

Who regularly rolls their tubes?
Where and what are some good tubes?

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #336 of 2,717
I am relatively new to rolling.
Played around with russian 6n1p family for a bit and enjoyed the 60's novosibirsk 6n1p-e the most. Smooth, good detail and good soundstage.

Right now i'm experimenting with PCC88 tubes.
70's Valvo PCC88 (made by philips harleen) rocks very hard. Great thundering bass, colorful mids and little bit of sparkle at the top. Very, very musical. More transparency than 6n1p-e, just as good soundstage but better imaging (and larger instruments) with a bit more of "3D" effect. Very nice step up.
Grabbed a pair for 30$ (with shipping) at ebay. Highly recommended.

Also have Telefunken PCC88 made by Siemens which i've been listening for a week. More neutral than Valvo PCC88, and it has a bit larger images and a bit better resolution. Highs are more "true" :) . Soundstage size seems about the same, but with pinpoint instrument placing. Smoothest tube i have heard yet. Paid 50$ for a pair.

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #337 of 2,717
I've now used my new Valhalla2 a handful of times now (possibly about 3 hours or a little over) and vs my magni and modi, the V2 seems more of a open farther away sound (good) and not as upfront loud as the magni and modi. It seems like I can go louder with the V2 and it dosnt fatigue my ears as much and I hear more detail. I would always end up not hearing well after listened to the magni + modi, for some reason I'm not wanting to turn the volume up allot on the V2.
(A tube keeps being loose after I turn it off tho basicly everytime, the 2 short tubes are fine)

I'm wanting tubes latter on that give more of a warm sound

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #340 of 2,717
Yes, why? Is that ok vs the bifrost? I like the bifrost but I'm not too sure when I'll get it if I do

Ha! Funny, I was gonna ask you the same question. Using the modi 2 with the V2 and was wondering if you had a comparison of the 2. Already decided on the Bifrost but the Canadian dollar is in the crapper right now so actively looking for one (new or used) in Canada.

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #341 of 2,717
Aw sorry, yea I think I'll get it at some point, but, I wish it had more inputs or out puts or support more channels because I would like to use it with my marantz. I like more then using 2 speakers for what Schiit supportes and like more of a surround.
Ha! Funny, I was gonna ask you the same question. Using the modi 2 with the V2 and was wondering if you had a comparison of the 2. Already decided on the Bifrost but the Canadian dollar is in the crapper right now so actively looking for one (new or used) in Canada.

Sep 9, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #343 of 2,717
Are these the correct socket savers for the Valhalla?

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/9-pin-socket-saver

Also, how do you guys remove the socket savers? I can't imagine it being easy.

Sep 9, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #345 of 2,717

Users who are viewing this thread

Back