Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
May 6, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #2,566 of 2,717
Ok, my über neophyte-ness is going to be blazingly obvious here. When I just Googled this tube, it says it's a ballast/current regulator. I see them on ebay for around a hundred bucks. My 10 second search didn't show any datasheets to help me understand what this is used for. I'm definitely not trying to rain on Bill's parade because he obviously knows more than me about what makes this so special. Could someone explain what this is used in and why you should want it so badly?

Oh, and congratulations Bill on what must be an amazing find! :astonished:
Yes, it's a current regulator used in the Weston 981 Type 3 tube tester. Pretty funny that as soon as I grabbed this one on Etsy for $49, four of them pop up on Ebay. I've had an Ebay watch on this particular tube for over 2 years now, and for 2 years....nada, except for one that popped up a year or so ago for $300. As soon as I finally find one, pow -- they're suddenly plentiful! Such is tube life, I suppose. The one in the tester works fine now, but you know how I am about backups. 🤣

Weston Finished.jpg

May 6, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #2,568 of 2,717
I'm struggling to understand the 6n6p tube, Can you guys tell me proper replacement for it that works for the valhalla II?
There is no direct substitute for a 6N6P.

May 6, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #2,570 of 2,717
I'm struggling to understand the 6n6p tube, Can you guys tell me proper replacement for it that works for the valhalla II?
Some (or one) people will substitute a 6N30P or ECC99 or E182CC for a 6N6P... probably same people who sub CV4062s for 6080s on weekends... If you're listening to some Pete Seeger, it's close enough for folk music 🤣

May 6, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #2,571 of 2,717
And if (a) you seek a Foton 6N6P, (b) your surname =/= cowen, none are available 😲🤣.

May 6, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #2,572 of 2,717
May 7, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #2,573 of 2,717
Yes, it's a current regulator used in the Weston 981 Type 3 tube tester. Pretty funny that as soon as I grabbed this one on Etsy for $49, four of them pop up on Ebay. I've had an Ebay watch on this particular tube for over 2 years now, and for 2 years....nada, except for one that popped up a year or so ago for $300. As soon as I finally find one, pow -- they're suddenly plentiful! Such is tube life, I suppose. The one in the tester works fine now, but you know how I am about backups. 🤣

Weston Finished.jpg
Ah, gotcha! For a minute I thought you were getting into retro night lights. Bet if you had a half-dozen of them all plugged in and glowing in a dark room, you could just stare at them for hours. Well, you could do that with just about any tube now that I think about it! Nice and shiny tester by the way! :astonished: I just got a refurbed TV-7D/U, mostly for my old radios.

May 7, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #2,575 of 2,717
The power tubes (rear) have relatively little impact on sound when compared to the driver tubes (front), however, if you can find a pair of 6N6P FOTON Gold Grids, I highly recommend them. :wink:

May 7, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #2,576 of 2,717
Ah, gotcha! For a minute I thought you were getting into retro night lights. Bet if you had a half-dozen of them all plugged in and glowing in a dark room, you could just stare at them for hours. Well, you could do that with just about any tube now that I think about it! Nice and shiny tester by the way! :astonished: I just got a refurbed TV-7D/U, mostly for my old radios.
See, that was my thought too. Steampunk discoball!

May 7, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #2,577 of 2,717
Sweet! Those are great testers, although I hate to work on them because everything inside is super cramped due to their (intentionally) compact size Great that you got it already refurbed!

May 8, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #2,578 of 2,717
Hello!
I have been using Soviet tubes for more than 40 years and I want to share some of my comments.
6N6P began to be produced in 1956-57 in Fryazino. Pairs from these years are very rare and I saw an listings on the US market for over $1000 a pair.
Since 1962, they began to be made in Tashkent at the PHOTON plant.
In 1965-1966, NEVZ began to make the same model of tubes.
A lot of different parts of the same model before 85 differ in construction and therefore (probably) can have a different sound (not explored so far)
All these modifications had a filament current of 0.75 A (as I understand it, Valhalla is designed for it)
And if the filament current of these tubes is powered separately, it is clear why the Schiit does not recommend using 6N6P-IR (0.9 A) and most importantly 6N6P-DR (0.85 A)
which in other respects correspond to 6n6p
I had to change 6N6P to 7044 with a converter for the owner of an expensive phono stage and he really liked it
I am carefully studying this thread and have only read half of it so far (about 6 years), but I have already seen a request to replace 6N6P several times
I want to collect more information on this subject and will try to post it on this thread! Maybe this will help someone!
An example with 6N23P-75 Reflector (NG) is not the only possible one, as it seems to me now.

May 8, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #2,579 of 2,717
Hello!
I have been using Soviet tubes for more than 40 years and I want to share some of my comments.
6N6P began to be produced in 1956-57 in Fryazino. Pairs from these years are very rare and I saw an listings on the US market for over $1000 a pair.
Since 1962, they began to be made in Tashkent at the PHOTON plant.
In 1965-1966, NEVZ began to make the same model of tubes.
A lot of different parts of the same model before 85 differ in construction and therefore (probably) can have a different sound (not explored so far)
All these modifications had a filament current of 0.75 A (as I understand it, Valhalla is designed for it)
And if the filament current of these tubes is powered separately, it is clear why the Schiit does not recommend using 6N6P-IR (0.9 A) and most importantly 6N6P-DR (0.85 A)
which in other respects correspond to 6n6p
I had to change 6N6P to 7044 with a converter for the owner of an expensive phono stage and he really liked it
I am carefully studying this thread and have only read half of it so far (about 6 years), but I have already seen a request to replace 6N6P several times
I want to collect more information on this subject and will try to post it on this thread! Maybe this will help someone!
An example with 6N23P-75 Reflector (NG) is not the only possible one, as it seems to me now.
Posted a pic of a '58 6N6P Fryazino on page 31 in the Feliks Echo tread. The Fryazino's are the 6N6P Holy Grail. Lucked out a year ago and bought a matched pair from an Ukrainian seller on Ebay for $30. After 15 min listening i promtly bought the 3 pairs he had left. Best sounding 6N6P by far. Exeptional clarity with a warm and natural tone.

May 9, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #2,580 of 2,717
Sweet! Those are great testers, although I hate to work on them because everything inside is super cramped due to their (intentionally) compact size Great that you got it already refurbed!
In my best Mr. T voice...I pity the fool who nicks a wire inside my tester and causes a short!

Oh, and in the manual I love the section on how to prevent it from falling into enemy hands in case an expeditious retreat is necessary.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back