Schiit Valhalla Tube Rolling thread.
Jul 3, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #1,606 of 2,717
I use VH2 with 35 ohm HFM Arya and it does extremely well. 13 ohm Aeon Flow Closed? Well not so much. After all, even VH2 has its limits. 😄

My 300 ohm HD6XX are my primary cans with VH2 and they truly hit the sweet spot. A tiny bit of EQ via Roon's PEQ and they are bliss. Can't even imagine how nice ZMF HPs must sound w/ VH2. 😍

(Arya spends most of it's time in Incubus and AFC on Ragnarok.)
I liked the HD600 and HD800 better than HD6xx with Valhalla

Jul 4, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #1,607 of 2,717
~ The Valhalla II is absolutely A-ok with the Clear. There is no impedance mismatch driven frequency response aberration to be found. The quickness and clarity of the Valhalla II is displayed with authority via the Clear. Vice versa, that of the Clear is not impeded a bit by the Valhalla II.
~ To my ears, the V-II/Clear pairing is remarkably close to that of the MJ-II/Clear pairing. I actually feel that the ambience/reverberation/soundspace is slightly better with the V-II/Clear duo: absence of solid-state output buffer + absence of output transformer? 🤷🏻
~ As for transient response, attack and decay, when using the Footscrays, the V-II is right there with the mod MJ-II. Apparent via the Clear.
~ Interestingly, when comparing the V-II to the Woo WA3 (both OTL and both with the same Footscray tubes) through the Clear, the V-II has better bass definition, extends slightly deeper, and has sharper front-to-back delineation. Could one power tube (6N6P) per channel be more musically faithful than one power tube (6080 type) shared between channels? 🤷🏻 again…
~ In all, the Valhalla II is the little OTL that could (and should?) be in your system…
I will definitely be investigating 😂

Jul 4, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #1,608 of 2,717
I will definitely be investigating 😂
I had given my initial thoughts on V-II with the Siemens 7308s (not shabby) as driver tubes. It was only fair/honest to put the V-II in the ‘fight cage’ with the same gloves (Footscray) as the contenders. The Footscrays obviously lift the V-II substantially. The V-II more than holds its own. 🏆 EDITED, thanks Ripper2860 !

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #1,609 of 2,717
7308s as power tubes? More details please. 😉

Jul 4, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #1,610 of 2,717
Jul 4, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #1,611 of 2,717
I didnt know where else to post this:

Does any one have a little bit of play in their power switch and/or gain switch on their Valhalla 2. I noticed yesterday that it kind of wiggles side to side whether it is on or off. None of my other schiit products do this, their switches are very solid.

I emailed schiit and they suggested I send it back for them to look at. Would I just be wasting my time? Is this normal? Thanks.

Jul 5, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #1,612 of 2,717
~ A highlight of this evening, after fireworks, has been listening to one of my A-list recordings: Chet Baker, My Favourite Songs (The Last Great Concert). This was through the Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM Edition driven by Valhalla II with the Brimar Footscrays CV4033 ◾️ getter: 1956.
~ To surrender myself to the musings of Chet Baker with NDR big band / Radio Hannover Orchestra so willingly and so totally is my best testament to the Gjallarhorn, to the Footscrays, AND to the Valhalla II. Bravo !!

Jul 5, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #1,613 of 2,717
~ A highlight of this evening, after fireworks, has been listening to one of my A-list recordings: Chet Baker, My Favourite Songs (The Last Great Concert). This was through the Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM Edition driven by Valhalla II with the Brimar Footscrays CV4033 ◾️ getter: 1956.
~ To surrender myself to the musings of Chet Baker with NDR big band / Radio Hannover Orchestra so willingly and so totally is my best testament to the Gjallarhorn, to the Footscrays, AND to the Valhalla II. Bravo !!
WOW! The sensitivity on the horns is 116db @ 33ohms. 😳
250mw max.
Amazing that the impedance of 33ohms works with an OTL. I suppose it's the sensitivity factoring in? I'm really interested in these cans!

Jul 5, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #1,614 of 2,717
WOW! The sensitivity on the horns is 116db @ 33ohms. 😳
250mw max.
Amazing that the impedance of 33ohms works with an OTL. I suppose it's the sensitivity factoring in? I'm really interested in these cans!
The output impedance of the Valhalla II at the low gain setting is 3.5 ohms. The sensitivity of the Gjallarhorn allows for the use of the low gain setting. 3.5 out —> 33.0 in will certainly not create impedance driven frequency response deviations. The Gjallarhorn JM Edition does not sound like a closed-back - especially with Footscrays !…PS…the Gjallarhorn headphone termination is the same 3.5mm termination that is used on the Clear. You can use your balanced cable on both Clear and Gjallarhorn!
679519F8-5806-4FC0-89D2-838F18C8A65C.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #1,615 of 2,717
I didnt know where else to post this:

Does any one have a little bit of play in their power switch and/or gain switch on their Valhalla 2. I noticed yesterday that it kind of wiggles side to side whether it is on or off. None of my other schiit products do this, their switches are very solid.

I emailed schiit and they suggested I send it back for them to look at. Would I just be wasting my time? Is this normal? Thanks.

Alright. I made a gif video of the wiggly power switch. The gain switch is about the same level of loose. Is this normal? I don't want to send it in for repair just to be told this is normal and I am OCD. Please someone who also owns this amplifier, please help me out and check your switch!

wiggle-valhalla-2-gif.gif

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #1,616 of 2,717
Alright. I made a gif video of the wiggly power switch. The gain switch is about the same level of loose. Is this normal? I don't want to send it in for repair just to be told this is normal and I am OCD. Please someone who also owns this amplifier, please help me out and check your switch!

wiggle-valhalla-2-gif.gif
Normal, not an issue.

Jul 5, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #1,617 of 2,717
Normal, not an issue.
Thank you! I just could not remember if it was always like this or if I damaged it during a move or something. I appreciate you checking very much!

Jul 6, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #1,618 of 2,717
Still torn between the Tubemonger CV4033 (KB/AD) or the CV455 (KB/FB) on ebay (not a matched pair?). Latter would be going over my budget and since its from the UK, expecting some ridiculous surprise tax/duty COD getting slapped on top...but its also highly recommended...but they're also for a daily driver...

Hardest decision in sports

Jul 6, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #1,619 of 2,717
Still torn between the Tubemonger CV4033 (KB/AD) or the CV455 (KB/FB) on ebay (not a matched pair?). Latter would be going over my budget and since its from the UK, expecting some ridiculous surprise tax/duty COD getting slapped on top...but its also highly recommended...but they're also for a daily driver...

Hardest decision in sports
Get the cv455 and be done bro. 😂

Jul 6, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #1,620 of 2,717
Or keep dragging your feet and the decision will be made for you with the CV4033 being the only available tube... 😏

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back