Schiit Valhalla has been shipped......reviews, impressions and musings.
Sep 24, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #271 of 404

Quote:
Have you tried blueberry pancakes yet? They're eally great. Maybe a bit of Benihana action while listening to music would be equally as entertaining as well!

The onion volcano is particularly effective on the Valhalla. In fact it's the Schiit. 
wink.gif

Sep 25, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #272 of 404

Quote:
That will be highly dependent on type of headphones used (resistance and sensitivity), musical tastes, and general volume preferences. That said, most stick around the 12:00 mark on most amps, or at least never need to exceed 1/2 a turn of the knob, past this point.

I guess I listen to it at a relatively low volume, then. At about the 8:30 position, this isn't even a 1/4 turn from the zero position.

Sep 25, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #273 of 404
I have just jumped to the end of this thread...can someone tell me how it pairs with the K701's. Im looking to get a Heed Canamp but would like the tubes! Sorry its a bit off the topic!

Sep 28, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #275 of 404

Quote:
Valhalla compared to DV337 anyone?

That would certainly interest me =D

I'm considering one of these for a work amp.

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #276 of 404
Has anyone tried the Valhalla with a pair of DT880/600 ohms? I'm in desperate need of an amp since i haven't made up my mind yet and would like to know if the Valhalla or the Asgard would be a better match. Thanks

Jason

Sep 28, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #277 of 404
I would try the Valhalla with the DT880/600.
I tried them with the Asgard, and I felt that it did not drive them very well.
There was sufficient volume, but they sounded too soft in the mids, and the highs to a certain extent, and lacked dynamics, especially compared to the Matrix M-stage that I owned and through the headphone jack on my Harman/Kardon HK3490 receiver, IMHO.

Sep 28, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #278 of 404

Quote:
Has anyone tried the Valhalla with a pair of DT880/600 ohms? I'm in desperate need of an amp since i haven't made up my mind yet and would like to know if the Valhalla or the Asgard would be a better match. Thanks

Jason

I don't remember anyone comparing with DT880, but someone, I think is Clayton SF compared with DT990 he said is a little too bright due to the nature of Beyer (a little too bright) + Valhalla (a little bright), but he mentioned, Valhalla and HD650 (a little dark) matched quite nicely

Sep 28, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #279 of 404

Quote:
I have just jumped to the end of this thread...can someone tell me how it pairs with the K701's. Im looking to get a Heed Canamp but would like the tubes! Sorry its a bit off the topic!

It pairs very well IMO.  Listening again to familiar music and switching between the  Sennheiser 600s and the AKG 701s I still think that the AKGs get the overall sound more "right" as far as balance goes from top to bottom.  They've been an absolute joy to listen to through the Valhalla.  More time is needed with the Sennheisers but I've found them to apply the same sound signature to all recordings (not that that sound signature is "bad") rather than letting me hear each recording for what it was meant to sound like.

The Valhalla also does not seem to have any issues driving the 701s at all.  I can't go much further than 12:00 on the volume knob before my ears beg for forgiveness.

Bill

Sep 29, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #280 of 404
Thanks for the replies.  It's much appreciated, as i know the thread has many various people requesting for certain pairs and matchups.  I don't know if i've explained, but as of now i don't have an amp and truly have seen the word "bright" thrown around many times in with regards with the DT880.  If someone could so kindly explain this term, as i'm having a very hard time grasping this issue.  Could it possibly mean.. too trebley? too loud? vice versa.. "dark" being too bassy?

And as redbull discerned, with a DT880 and Valhalla both being "bright" i can't help but jump to the conclusion it would be "super bright"

And as dalton's.. it's not enough to drive them

Oh.. my newbness is just off the charts. Thanks for any futue responses.

Sep 29, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #281 of 404
Hey jehsunk, DT 880 (250 ohms) owner chiming in here. Yeah, "bright" usually means more treble or greater emphasis on treble, relative to how the rest of the frequency ranges are being represented. "Dark", therefore, is usually used to describe headphones/amp/source/whatever with a greater emphasis on the bass. The DT880 can be guilty of drawing a listener's attention to the treble, and it can be a bit shrill at times. That's my experience anyhow, and I don't know if I've just never used the right amp or if the recordings I listened to were poorly mastered, but it's just something to bear in mind.

Loudness is independent of bright/dark sonic signatures. Loudness would be dependent on sensitivity (or "SPL" or "Sound Pressure"), and to a lesser extent, impedance. 

Quote:
...have seen the word "bright" thrown around many times in with regards with the DT880.  If someone could so kindly explain this term, as i'm having a very hard time grasping this issue.  Could it possibly mean.. too trebley? too loud? vice versa.. "dark" being too bassy?

Sep 29, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #282 of 404
I'm kind of surprised that more reviews and impressions haven't been popping up, other than the initial unboxing impressions.

Sep 29, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #283 of 404
Me too, but I always keep in mind the vast majority of forum posts tend to be about getting recommendations or a solution to a problem.  Or, perhaps to vent about a problem.  Not many people chime in to say, "Hey, my new widget works great!"  They post saying, "My crappy widget crapped out, please help me!"

Quote:
I'm kind of surprised that more reviews and impressions haven't been popping up, other than the initial unboxing impressions.

Sep 29, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #284 of 404
Well, here's hoping I like this Schiit.  Just ordered a B-stock today.  Will be pairing it with my BD 880 250ohms and my Eastern Electric DAC.  Secretly hoping it will wow me compared to the Emotiva USP1 can jack I'm using now.  If not, I guess it will make a nice unit for upstairs listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #285 of 404

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.  It's much appreciated, as i know the thread has many various people requesting for certain pairs and matchups.  I don't know if i've explained, but as of now i don't have an amp and truly have seen the word "bright" thrown around many times in with regards with the DT880.  If someone could so kindly explain this term, as i'm having a very hard time grasping this issue.  Could it possibly mean.. too trebley? too loud? vice versa.. "dark" being too bassy?

And as redbull discerned, with a DT880 and Valhalla both being "bright" i can't help but jump to the conclusion it would be "super bright"

And as dalton's.. it's not enough to drive them

Oh.. my newbness is just off the charts. Thanks for any futue responses.

Hi jehsunk,
I did NOT say that the Valhalla is not enough to drive the Beyerdynamic DT880/600 ohm headphones.
I have NOT tried the DT880/600 with the Valhalla at all.
I did try my DT880/600's with the Schiit Asgard. It did drive them ok, and to fairly high volumes, but they sounded alittle soft and lacking dynamics with the Asgard, overall, IMHO.
I do believe that the Valhalla would drive them better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back