Schiit Valhalla has been shipped......reviews, impressions and musings.
Aug 31, 2010 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 404

DoingOK

100+ Head-Fier
Like a few others here, I got the shipping notice this morning.  I'll post up a few thoughts, impressions, etc. when it arrives.   Unfortunately, I'm on the East coast so it will be a few days.  I figured it would be smart to have a separate Valhalla thread to gather everyone's questions, reviews and impressions .  The only comparison I have to offer will be against my Woo Audio WA6.   The Schiit guys have been great to work with and I've talked to them about me changing the case to a black satin anodized finish (done by another company I've picked). 

Order was placed June 16, 2010.....got the shipping notice @ 1:12am

Not sure how the amplifier will pair up with my AKG 702's........we shall soon see.

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #2 of 404

Quote:
The only comparison I have to offer will be against my Woo Audio WA6.   The Schiit guys have been great to work with and I've talked to them about me changing the case to a black satin anodized finish (done by another company I've picked).  Thanks in advance.

Hey, that's really great. Thanks for doing the leg work on finding a company to do the finish. You'll have to have your wood work guy come up with the knob like the one on your WA6. Now that would be awesome, too.

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #3 of 404

Quote:
Hey, that's really great. Thanks for doing the leg work on finding a company to do the finish. You'll have to have your wood work guy come up with the knob like the one on your WA6. Now that would be awesome, too.

I need to see how hot it will run first, but I have a few ideas on wood accents.  Thanks for the compliment.

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #4 of 404

Quote:
I need to see how hot it will run first, but I have a few ideas on wood accents.

Oh, yes. Then there's that heat issue / non-issue.
rolleyes.gif
I need more shelves!

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #5 of 404

Quote:
Like a few others here, I got the shipping notice this morning.  I'll post up a few thoughts, impressions, etc. when it arrives.   Unfortunately, I'm on the East coast so it will be a few days.  I figured it would be smart to have a separate Valhalla thread to gather everyone's questions, reviews and impressions .  The only comparison I have to offer will be against my Woo Audio WA6.   The Schiit guys have been great to work with and I've talked to them about me changing the case to a black satin anodized finish (done by another company I've picked). 

Order was placed June 16, 2010.....got the shipping notice @ 1:12am

Not sure how the amplifier will pair up with my AKG 702's........we shall soon see.

As I have had the pleasure to hear the WA6, I would love to hear your well considered opinion of the Valhalla-- and especially how it measures up to the Woo-- once you've had time to put it through its paces, DoingOK.

I wonder how the Valhalla will compare to the Asgard, when driving the Sennheisers HD600 and HD650?

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #6 of 404
Ordered 6/23, expected delivery to eastern PA is Saturday 9/4 (do they deliver on Saturday??)

Looking forward to it.  It will be my first tube product in the 15 years that I've been into this "hobby".  I went back and forth between it and the Asgard but Jason convinced me to go with the Valhalla.  I'm interested to see how it sounds with my AKG 701s since they Schiit guys said that's the primary can that was used to voice this amp.

Other equipment:
Benchmark DAC1 USB
TEC TC-7510
Sennheiser HD580 (upgraded to HD600)
Audio Technica ATH-M50

If indeed it gets delivered on Saturday I'll be sure to post pics and initial impressions after the holiday weekend.

Bill

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #7 of 404

Quote:

As I have had the pleasure to hear the WA6, I would love to hear your well considered opinion of the Valhalla-- and especially how it measures up to the Woo-- once you've had time to put it through its paces, DoingOK.

I wonder how the Valhalla will compare to the Asgard, when driving the Sennheisers HD600 and HD650?

That'll be interesting as those guys said they used the Sennheisers to voice the Asgard.

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #8 of 404

Quote:
Ordered 6/23, expected delivery to eastern PA is Saturday 9/4 (do they deliver on Saturday??)

Looking forward to it.  It will be my first tube product in the 15 years that I've been into this "hobby".  I went back and forth between it and the Asgard but Jason convinced me to go with the Valhalla.  I'm interested to see how it sounds with my AKG 701s since they Schiit guys said that's the primary can that was used to voice this amp.

Other equipment:
Benchmark DAC1 USB
TEC TC-7510
Sennheiser HD580 (upgraded to HD600)
Audio Technica ATH-M50

If indeed it gets delivered on Saturday I'll be sure to post pics and initial impressions after the holiday weekend.

Bill

Since I am in California as well my expected delivery is on Thursday. You would expect FedEx to ship within the same time frame in CONUS. But then again--it is FedEx and I guess it's traveling on wheels rather than wings.

Aug 31, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #10 of 404

Quote:
Please post up pics when you guys get them........mine won't get here until Saturday.  Pretty sure  FedEx delivers on Saturday in my area.

Most definitely. I just hope that I don't miss the delivery day as I will be at work on Thursday.

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 404
FedEx is the most frustrating delivery company I have ever dealt with.  They often estimate longer delivery times than what it really takes.  For example, they'll quote me 4 days, so I expect the package on a Friday.  I go to work all happy and ignorant on Thursday thinking the package will be delivered Friday.  Come home from work Thursday, see a note that I missed the package.  Probably my fault for not obsessively tracking it every 3 minutes on the internet.  But, other times when I do obsessively track it, I'll notice that it says estimated delivery on Friday, but it arrives in my town on Wednesday.  Rather than delivering on Thursday, it will say "Not due until Friday."

Can't win.  Very frustrating.

Quote:
Since I am in California as well my expected delivery is on Thursday. You would expect FedEx to ship within the same time frame in CONUS. But then again--it is FedEx and I guess it's traveling on wheels rather than wings.

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #12 of 404
Quote:

Oh wow, and you ordered so long ago and it will still take a week? I guess I'll be lucky to get mine in October at this rate, since I only placed my order about 1-2 weeks ago.
frown.gif

Aug 31, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #13 of 404
If the Valhall is on par with the WA3 or even stock WA6, were in for a treat.  TWO excellent american based amp compaies?  Yes please.

Also, impressions with the HD 650s are greatly appreciated
wink_face.gif

Sep 1, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #14 of 404
"Your item was processed through and left our VAN NUYS, CA 91405 facility on August 31, 2010. The item is currently in transit to the destination."

sweeeeet... cant wait.

i have serial no. 8  

hope it sounds as good as 1 - 7.... hahaha! 

Sep 1, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #15 of 404
Whoever has serial number 11 is my hero.  Yours goes to 11.

Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where? 
Marty DiBergi: I don't know. 
Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do? 
Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven. 
Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder. 

Quote:
"Your item was processed through and left our VAN NUYS, CA 91405 facility on August 31, 2010. The item is currently in transit to the destination."

sweeeeet... cant wait.

i have serial no. 8  

hope it sounds as good as 1 - 7.... hahaha! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back