Schiit Valhalla has been shipped......reviews, impressions and musings.
Sep 3, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #61 of 404
I noticed a circuit board in the Valhalla,not point to point soldering, would this be a sub class implementation.

Also do we know what brand resistors and caps are used.

Sep 3, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #62 of 404
You aren't going to get point to point at this price point.

Sep 3, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #64 of 404
True. Labor here is too expensive.

Sep 4, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #67 of 404
This is just my opinion, but I fail to see why PCB vs. PTP is important here.  You can have a poorly made PTP that won't sound as good as a well made PCB, and vice versa.

How many DACs, even the ones that cost $1000+, have PTP?  Exactly.

Sep 4, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #68 of 404
Agreed - some much pricier tube amps have used PCB's.  The quality of the PCB itself is important, but if that's good, then who cares. 

Really the only thing I worry about with tube amps and PCB's is the surface mounted tube sockets not causing traces on the PCB to break when the board flexes as you tube roll - but since this is not a tube-rolling amp, that really shouldn't be an issue either.

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #70 of 404

Quote:

Really the only thing I worry about with tube amps and PCB's is the surface mounted tube sockets not causing traces on the PCB to break when the board flexes as you tube roll - but since this is not a tube-rolling amp, that really shouldn't be an issue either.

That was what I noticed while inserting the 4 tubes into its sockets--no flexing whatsoever. As if the bottom of the sockets were resting solidly against the bottom of the chassis.

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #71 of 404

Quote:
any impressions yet?

So far I am very impressed by the sound it produces. I haven't had time to sit down and seriously listen to the Valhalla since I plugged it on Thursday after work. Its been on and I periodically pick up the headphones and give a listen. Since they sounded a little to bright with my Beyedynamic DT990 / 600 ohm, I connected the Sennheiser HD650 to the amp and that combo is wonderful. Usually the highs of the HD650 is slightly muddled to my ear but now it is almost just right--at least where I like it. I'm not so good at describing subtleties.

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #72 of 404

Quote:
So far I am very impressed by the sound it produces. I haven't had time to sit down and seriously listen to the Valhalla since I plugged it on Thursday after work. Its been on and I periodically pick up the headphones and give a listen. Since they sounded a little to bright with my Beyedynamic DT990 / 600 ohm, I connected the Sennheiser HD650 to the amp and that combo is wonderful. Usually the highs of the HD650 is slightly muddled to my ear but now it is almost just right--at least where I like it. I'm not so good at describing subtleties.

interesting. so too bright with the beyer huh? thank you very much. i hope to hear more impressions very soon.

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #73 of 404

Quote:

interesting. so too bright with the beyer huh? thank you very much. i hope to hear more impressions very soon.

A little too bright with the DT990. Just a tad. Nothing bad. The amp is still young and the Beyers are always brighter.

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #75 of 404

Quote:
Icic. Jason told me they tested with a 600 ohm beyer so I an pretty interested to see how it sounds with the t1

The Valhalla has great bass response and it is also able to render, in wonderful detail, Peter Frampton's guitar work on his Thank You Mr Churchill release. Yes. The T1. That's one headphone I'm considering as well as the Audez'e LCD-2. I can't decide on which to get let alone a place to audition either one of them.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back