Schiit Valhalla has been shipped......reviews, impressions and musings.
Feb 24, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #361 of 404
iTumes FAR from sucks as far as sound quality goes.  I use it with my AIFF rips from CDs and it's great.  When people say source they mean a DAC in the case of computer-based audio.  I'm using a cheap TEC-TC7510 DAC via an Airport Express to my Valhalla and it sounds phenomenal.

Is there better?  Sure!  But does that setup's sound suck?  Absolutely not!

Bill

Feb 25, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #362 of 404
Hi,

So this should be my first post here. I have own Valhalla over 4 months now and I've been very pleased. Headphones that I use are AKG K-601 and Sennheiser HD650 with APS cabling. Both sounds spectacular! I've been using Beresford TC-7520 as a source. I like it but maybe in the future I replace it with something else.

Here's few pics.

Quick pic that I took at the time when the amp arrived.

If you want to try how hot this amp runs, please don't. Or if you like to leave nice fingerprints to your amp like I have done.
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #363 of 404
oh man, so itunes sucks as a player now? what do you mean by decibel being better? (i guess this is similar to others using foobar)

if I buy the udac 2 right now (or should I get something else in the 130-150 price range??) do I need to buy this special usb cable? I figured digital wouldnt need 'special' cabling like analog, but at this point I just want to get this setup done right

No you don't need a special USB cable. Even the few who believe in high end USB cables probably wouldn't recommend it for a DAC in that price range. Just get a monoprice or use one that is laying around.

Feb 27, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #364 of 404
Sorry to be so late in responding. Here's what is said about Decibel; "Decibel processes all audio using 64-bit floating-point precision, providing the highest possible playback quality for files sampled at all bit depths." To really notice a difference, your source music should be High Res; (24/96 or similar). 24/96 audio -> Decibel -> 24/96 async capable dac (better jitter control) ->amp -> headphones == WOW. I can't speak to the udac, but I have a couple of Music Streamer dacs. They have a model for $150 that's supports 24/96 and runs in async mode that's a fantastic value. Re: cables - I really can't say. Seems like that's one of those audiophile religion arguments - the one's I like to stay out of :) I've spent just enough on cables to have reasonable confidence that I'm not paying too much of a penalty sonically. 

You're definitely gonna want a dac. Re: players, try out a handful of the good audio players. I like both Decibel and Fidelia - with Decibel getting a slight edge to my ears. You don't have to spend alot of money to get really good sound, but it my opinion it's better to address the whole 'chain' with decent equipment, then part of it with great equipment. My two cents.

Mike

Mar 15, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #365 of 404
Well I should have my UDAC-2 in the mail tomorrow, so hopefully I can give a legit review soon

edit: Ends up I only have cheapo RCA cables lying around to connect the DAC to the Valhalla. Should I be buying something better, and if so, what/where?

Mar 31, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #366 of 404
Quick question, I haven't yet read this entire thread yet (but I will
smile_phones.gif
), but I did read Skylab's review where he somewhat touches on this:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/516551/review-schiit-audio-valhalla-tube-headphone-amplifier

Quote:
 when I first plugged it in and put on some music, I was not too impressed.  It sounded bright and veiled.  However, I know that TUBES need a good few hours of burn-in for sure, let alone amps.  So I played music on it for about 12 hours, and then tried again.  Things were quite different.  The sound was already really very good after this period.  By 20 hours, it had basically settled in.  It might have improved a little more as I went along, but I wouldn’t swear to that.  Certainly I noticed no change past 50 hours or so.

And then after burn in:

Quote:
 The treble is a touch on the sweet side, but again, not much. 

I just got a Valhalla, I've had it powered up about 20 hrs now, with about 12 of those with music playing.

I like it so far, plenty powerful enough for Grado's, but it seems a little on the bright side.  (I have the Valhalla paired with the HRT MS2, and my other combo is AMB/MrX's y2 + CKKIII.)

Is that common out of the box, a little brightness?  Does that settle down with more time/music on the tubes?

I know it's not the HRT MS2, because I had that paired with the Fournier HTA-1 prior, and that pair was a little more forgiving than the y2 + CKKIII.  But the Valhalla + HRT MS2 is just plain brighter at the moment than the AMB pair.

??

thanks !!

Apr 7, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #367 of 404
I just wanted to post a follow up.  Been running the Valhalla the last week or so.  It has settled in quite nicely.  I remember it being bright initially, but it's mellowed out so much so gradually that I can't even remember what it sounded like when I thought it was too bright originally, if that makes sense.

I am aware of all the reasons why an amp like this should not sound good (or "work") with low impedance cans like Grados, but I'm tellin' ya, this guy and any of the MS2i, HF2, and RS2i makes for an extremely listenable combination. 
smile_phones.gif

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #368 of 404
I have just got a demo unit here and it goes from EMU1616M to Valhalla to K701.

Is there something right here as I find I need to crank the volume to the very maximum to match my usual listening volume? (For info, I currently own a headfive and the volume is at about 12 o clock when I listen.

Thanks.

May 6, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #369 of 404
just got my valhalla in the mail

when I plug it into my computer (directly into my x-fi prelude) I get a chirping sort of sound going on. I tried connecting it to a portable player and there was nothing so it's definitely something about the connection between the two.

I'm pretty new to this, is there anything obvious it might be? it happens whether music is playing or not.

May 6, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #370 of 404
My money is on the card picking up some interference inside your PC.

I've been chasing this problem around since I started hearing my mouse wheel through my Cambridge PC Works speakers back in '03.

Common solutions include usb-based dacs and soundcards, or using an optical connection if available to circumvent the issue.

edit:
Check out this thread which relates to your card.  The whole computer audio forum is pretty swanky--lots of people with tons more experience than me regarding noise and external equipment.

May 6, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #371 of 404
I guess the amp is amping it, heh, because I never heard it before. 

I can live with that, I'll work on getting a usb dac next I suppose. although my card has an optical out I believe, would just need a connection from the valhalla.

I see a dac mentioned above, maybe I'll look into that. just something cheap so I don't have interference to deal with.

thanks a lot!

May 6, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #372 of 404
No problem.  Don't forget to check the for sale forums here, you should be able to get something to try for a good deal.

Enjoy your tubes!

May 6, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #373 of 404
using it with the 0404 USB (family member had one) and it still has the same problem. 

May 9, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #374 of 404
Bummer.

If it's an interference issue and it isn't coming from inside your pc, then it might be a ground loop problem, or there might be something running near the amp causing it.  Fluorescent lights, dimmer switches in the house, your fridge, etc. can sometimes cause RF.

If you can't chase it down by isolating the amp from other devices I'd call Schiit and they'll probably have some suggestions for you.  If worse comes to worst you can take them up on their 14-day money back offer.

Jun 20, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #375 of 404
Saw a basically new one on ebay today and pulled the trigger. A complete impulse buy. Huzzah!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back