Schiit Valhalla has been shipped......reviews, impressions and musings.
Nov 9, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #316 of 404

Quote:
*Except in the case of orthodynamics, which typically need both high current and high voltage

Higher voltage and higher current equate to higher power.
Does this then mean that, in general terms, orthodynamics are less sensitive and hence, they need more power?

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #317 of 404
Quote:

Does this then mean that, in general terms, orthodynamics are less sensitive and hence, they need more power?

Most orthos have rather miserable sensitivity/efficiency.  IIRC the LCD-2 is actually one of the more sensitive orthos out there.

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #318 of 404
Quote:

Exactly. Orthodynamics are less sensitive, and need more power--and are unusual in needing more power at low impedance. A 4-5 watt amp (at 32 ohms) wouldn't be out of line . . . hmm . . .

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 11, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #319 of 404
I just received my Valhalla, and am very impressed.  It has only a few hours on it, and already sounds about as good as my Single Power PPX3.  The PPX3 has been my reference, and is easily better than numerous other amps I have owned, both in terms of sound quality and noise performance. 

It will be interesting to see if the Valhalla can overtake the PPX3 (as right now they seem to be neck-and-neck).  They have similar sonic signatures, and I gather this is the case because they have similar designs (single-ended, class A, and such).  At $349, I cannot imagine a better choice for a 300-ohm headphone.  The designers seem to have had the Senn 580/6xx in mind when they designed the Valhalla.

Dec 25, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #321 of 404
Time to dig this thread out of the grave: what are everyone's impressions after a month+?
Pairing with the K702?

Jan 4, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #323 of 404
I admittedly haven't spent as much time as I would have liked with my Valhalla/701 combo by now but I can tell you that when I do it's a very nice experience.  To me they seem to complement each other very well, making more for a well balanced presentation in terms of musicality and resolution.

@ VulgarDisplay - this is what piqued my interest in the company.  I found their aesthetics great and approach to the hobby refreshing as well.  After pulling the plug on an unnecessary purchase I've found their customer service top notch and their build quality excellent.  Highly recommend them.

Bill

Jan 5, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #324 of 404
I'm running the AKG 702 with the Vahalla and the Asgard. Although both sound very similar, I prefer the Vahalla /AKG combo. They have a very detailed, rich and full sound that realy pulls me into the music. If you own the 702 I would recommend you try the Vahalla. They come with a 15 day money back guarnantee . Hard to wrong here. Sounds great with all types of music.

Jan 6, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #325 of 404
So I decided it was about time I got a real amp for my headphones and ordered the Valhalla
Also, since it seems everyone recommends it, I ordered some 702s to compliment it. I'm going to have a fun time comparing them to my HD580s. Hell, I'm going to have fun in general now that my 580s have a proper amp.

Jan 6, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #326 of 404
I upgraded my HD580s to HD600s with new grilles and the HD650 cable.  They're a nice change from the AKG 701/702 when one is in the mood for such a change.  They sound good with the Valhalla as well.  To me the AKG/Valhalla just complement each other better overall.

Enjoy your new toys!

Bill

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #327 of 404
curious, but between the two which headphones which do you think would work best with the Valhalla for rock/metal music?

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #328 of 404
I don't listen to much metal these days but I prefer the AKGs for rock music.  I find the Sennheiser/Valhalla combo a bit too laid back/warm/and smooth for heavier rock.

Then again, your ears may tell you something completely different - that's the "fun" part about this hobby.

Bill

Jan 6, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #329 of 404
Rock sounds great with the Vahalla/702 combo. I recently played some of my favorite rock cd's, including From Elvis in Memphis, Roy Orison Black and White Night, Tom Petty's MOJO, and Bruce Springsteen's newly remastered Darkness on the Edge of Town. Whew, all these albums sounded superb. Bass was deep and tight, vocals were finely focused and lifelike. On Patricia Barbers Nightclub her smoky vocals put me there in the front row, while the amazing bass runs made me rethink ever investing in highend speakers again. The crack of the drum and the shimmer of the cymbals was on the money. I also recently ran thru some of the newly reissued Blue Note XRCD's. In particular Hank Mobley's Soul Station really knocked me out. I highly recommend the Vahalla/702. Enjoy the Music.

Jan 7, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #330 of 404
@macbob713,

It's funny that you highlight the bass.  Most people slag the bass on these cans and I haven't found that to be the case at all.  I've found the bass on the 701/702 to be just right on almost everything I've listened to them on.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back