Schiit Valhalla 2 impressions
Sep 3, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #91 of 306
So I just received a black Valhalla 2 used. Using stock tubes at the moment. I sold the silver one as I wanted the black instead. I'm currently pairing it with the Drop R2R DAC and it sound very good. I still may get different tubes anyways. But there seems to be an "issue" with the volume dial. It feels and sounds scratchy when I turn it. Especially around the "9 o'clock" area. Is there any way to resolve this? Otherwise the amp works fine.

Sep 6, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #92 of 306
So I was able to fix the scratchy knob issue. It was tough but I just had to pull it out a bit. I just turned the knob all the way up (no music playing) and pulled it out a bit. Now it is fine.

Also I ordered a few sets of tubes.
GE 6CG7 / 6FQ7
JJ E88CC / 6922 Gold
Brimar CV455 + adapter
Novosibirsk 6N6p / 6H6pi (although I think these are the same as what comes with the VH2) Nothing against having a spare pair.

Sep 6, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #93 of 306
So I was able to fix the scratchy knob issue. It was tough but I just had to pull it out a bit. I just turned the knob all the way up (no music playing) and pulled it out a bit. Now it is fine.

Also I ordered a few sets of tubes.
GE 6CG7 / 6FQ7
JJ E88CC / 6922 Gold
Brimar CV455 + adapter
Novosibirsk 6N6p / 6H6pi (although I think these are the same as what comes with the VH2) Nothing against having a spare pair.
Great start! When I bought my Valhalla II new, it certainly did not come with Novosibirsk 6N6Ps.

Sep 7, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #94 of 306
Great start! When I bought my Valhalla II new, it certainly did not come with Novosibirsk 6N6Ps.

I actually don't know what brand of tubes the VH2 comes with by default. There is no markings on the ones I have and I don't feel like digging out the box right now. In any case perhaps those Novosibirsk 6N6P will be an upgrade.

Sep 7, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #95 of 306
I actually don't know what brand of tubes the VH2 comes with by default. There is no markings on the ones I have and I don't feel like digging out the box right now. In any case perhaps those Novosibirsk 6N6P will be an upgrade.
Pretty sure my Valhalla came with Novobirsk 6N6P stock. I can vouch that Foton 6N6P are a slight upgrade - nothing revolutionary, but they bring a slight boost to dynamics and sharper leading edges. There are more details on this in the Valhalla tube rolling thread, FYI.

Sep 12, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #96 of 306
Pretty sure my Valhalla came with Novobirsk 6N6P stock. I can vouch that Foton 6N6P are a slight upgrade - nothing revolutionary, but they bring a slight boost to dynamics and sharper leading edges. There are more details on this in the Valhalla tube rolling thread, FYI.

Well I made mistake in how I ordered from The Tube Store. On each tube product page there is an option to "match and balance" the tubes for an extra $5. I thought by doing that I would get a pair of tubes. So when I order the three pairs of tubes (or so I thought) I only got one of each tube. So I had to place another identical order and let them know of the matching number for each tube. I should get that second order in the next day or two. Hopefully it works out.

Sep 13, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #97 of 306
So I got all my tubes from The Tube Store. I just installed the Novosibirsk 6N6p / 6H6pi and the GE 6CG7 / 6FQ7 but I am getting static in my headphones. Is that normal with fresh tubes? I think I made the mistake of swapping the tubes without first unplugging the amp. I hope that did not ruin anything. I'm also using tube risers as well. The tubes got hot very quickly.

EDIT: so I switched the tubes between left and right and removed the risers for the front tubes. At first it seemed fine but now there is no sound in the left side. Tubes are certainly a finicky thing.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #98 of 306
So I got all my tubes from The Tube Store. I just installed the Novosibirsk 6N6p / 6H6pi and the GE 6CG7 / 6FQ7 but I am getting static in my headphones. Is that normal with fresh tubes? I think I made the mistake of swapping the tubes without first unplugging the amp. I hope that did not ruin anything. I'm also using tube risers as well. The tubes got hot very quickly.

EDIT: so I switched the tubes between left and right and removed the risers for the front tubes. At first it seemed fine but now there is no sound in the left side. Tubes are certainly a finicky thing.
No, that is definitely not normal. Could be bad tubes?

Sep 13, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #99 of 306
No, that is definitely not normal. Could be bad tubes?

Perhaps. I know it's not the rear tubes as I tried both sets with the stock front tubes and there is no issues. The GE 6CG7 / 6FQ7 seems to be where the issue is. The channel imbalance switches sides when I swap them left to right. I still have yet to try the JJ E88CC / 6922 Gold tubes.

Sep 18, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #100 of 306
So I finally have my own stack of Schiit. :grin: Valhalla 2 and Bifrost 2. Currently using the Novosibirsk 6N6p / 6H6pi in the rear and JJ E88CC / 6922 Gold in front. I have received the Brimar CV455 + adapter so I will try those out at some point soon. Either way it sounds great so far. I honestly cannot tell the difference between the BF2 and Drop Airist R2R. Perhaps that is a compliment to the Airist R2R as that was half the price I paid for the BF2. I do wish the tubes had more glow but there's nothing I can do about that.

Attachments

• IMG_3613.jpg
    IMG_3613.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Oct 27, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #101 of 306
So I finally have my own stack of Schiit. :grin: Valhalla 2 and Bifrost 2. Currently using the Novosibirsk 6N6p / 6H6pi in the rear and JJ E88CC / 6922 Gold in front. I have received the Brimar CV455 + adapter so I will try those out at some point soon. Either way it sounds great so far. I honestly cannot tell the difference between the BF2 and Drop Airist R2R. Perhaps that is a compliment to the Airist R2R as that was half the price I paid for the BF2. I do wish the tubes had more glow but there's nothing I can do about that.

I wonder when Schiit will introduce a Valhalla 3? If it has the continuity circuit, balanced topology and can be purchased for $350 - $400
I'd purchase one. 😊

Oct 27, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #102 of 306
I wonder when Schiit will introduce a Valhalla 3? If it has the continuity circuit, balanced topology and can be purchased for $350 - $400
I'd purchase one. 😊
Only one? How about a Valhalla that can take 12A#7 natively and that has an external power supply?…🤔🤤😄

Oct 28, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #104 of 306
I'd purchase one. 😊
They won't. Jason has said explicitly that although Valhalla 2 is the oldest design still available they have no plans to update it, probably ever. It is what it is meant to be.

They are, however, working on a new 10-tube amp called Folkvangr that should be released soon(ish).

Oct 29, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #105 of 306

Users who are viewing this thread

Back