Schiit Valhalla 2 impressions
Aug 1, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #61 of 306
How does the Magnius compare with the Valhalla 2? What should I be looking for if I wanted to get other tubes?
If you asked me this when I first got the valhalla, I'd say: the magnius is great for my EDM, the Valhalla2 is great for vocals/classic rock. At this point, I don't plug into the magnius all that much as I dig the way the valhalla2 affects soundstage for any type of music. I'm questioning whether to even keep the magnius at this point, and use proceeds to upgrade to the bifrost2.

Aug 1, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #62 of 306
If you asked me this when I first got the valhalla, I'd say: the magnius is great for my EDM, the Valhalla2 is great for vocals/classic rock. At this point, I don't plug into the magnius all that much as I dig the way the valhalla2 affects soundstage for any type of music.
Same. Even though you lose a tiny bit of sharpness and definition the soundstage and imaging you gain is worth it almost all the time. At this point, the only reason I still have a ss amp is because Valhalla doesn't quite have the power to drive Arya all that well.

Aug 1, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #63 of 306
You will love Senn & ZMF on Valhalla 2. I'd recommend Bifrost 2 for your DAC - it's good enough to be most people's endgame and it complements Valhalla's strengths beautifully.

Does it matter that the Bifrost is balanced and the Valhalla is not? I'd feel like I was not getting my money's worth if I'm not using the balanced output of the DAC. Also it seems like the Valhalla 2 can be used as a preamp. I'm interested in using it with my 2 channel stereo amp to add some tube flavour to my speakers.

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #64 of 306
Does it matter that the Bifrost is balanced and the Valhalla is not? I'd feel like I was not getting my money's worth if I'm not using the balanced output of the DAC. Also it seems like the Valhalla 2 can be used as a preamp. I'm interested in using it with my 2 channel stereo amp to add some tube flavour to my speakers.
I don't think it matters, I hear no difference between Bifrost's balanced and unbalanced out, though testing that with any degree of accuracy is admittedly difficult. Personally, even if the unbalanced were handicapped vs the balanced, I would still take unbalanced on Bifrost over balanced on a run of the mill delta sigma DAC any day. The draw of Bifrost is Schiit's multibit r2r tech and proprietary DSP.

And yes, Valhalla is also a capable preamp.

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #65 of 306
I don't think it matters, I hear no difference between Bifrost's balanced and unbalanced out, though testing that with any degree of accuracy is admittedly difficult. Personally, even if the unbalanced were handicapped vs the balanced, I would still take unbalanced on Bifrost over balanced on a run of the mill delta sigma DAC any day. The draw of Bifrost is Schiit's multibit r2r tech and proprietary DSP.

Yes, I'm in this boat. I'm an amateur radio operator and balanced lines are great (required) for LONG runs from the attic to the radio, via a balun. I'm talking 100ft of line from dipole to my antenna tuner. In fact, it is required for old houses like mine where RFI is harsh with older wiring. For short runs between amp/dac/phones, balanced are likely unnecessary. (hat tip to @chrisnyc75 and his comment on power via bal)

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #66 of 306
Yes, I'm in this boat. I'm an amateur radio operator and balanced lines are great (required) for LONG runs from the attic to the radio, via a balun. I'm talking 100ft of line from dipole to my antenna tuner. In fact, it is required for old houses like mine where RFI is harsh with older wiring. For short runs between amp/dac/phones, balanced are likely unnecessary.
Yeah, I think the only practical advantage of balanced in a head-fi setup is the higher power delivery a balanced connection can deliver to power hungry cans. For the connection between DAC and amp, I'm not sure it makes any difference, and tbh I'm not even sure Bifrost is actually internally balanced at all or if the connections are just there for convenience's sake, though I'm sure Schiit would tell you if you called up and asked them.

Aug 2, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #67 of 306

Isn't DSP kind of a bad thing? Perhaps an unnatural tweaking of the sound? I have been eyeing something like the Denefrips Ares II or Topping D70S.

Aug 2, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #68 of 306
Isn't DSP kind of a bad thing? Perhaps an unnatural tweaking of the sound? I have been eyeing something like the Denefrips Ares II or Topping D70S.
No, you're thinking of a dsp plugin in a software application. All DACs have DSP, it's a necessary part of producing analogue sound.

Aug 2, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #69 of 306
No, you're thinking of a dsp plugin in a software application. All DACs have DSP, it's a necessary part of producing analogue sound.

Well I'm thinking of DSP like there is in powered bookshelf speakers. For example I have the Fluance Ai61 which have "DSP enhancement". They claim that they can play down to 32Hz which I doubt any bookshelf speaker with a 6.5" driver can do.

Aug 3, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #70 of 306
Does it matter that the Bifrost is balanced and the Valhalla is not? I'd feel like I was not getting my money's worth if I'm not using the balanced output of the DAC. Also it seems like the Valhalla 2 can be used as a preamp. I'm interested in using it with my 2 channel stereo amp to add some tube flavour to my speakers. In the Bifrost 2 the single ended and balanced out both receive the same signal outputs for the left and right channels.
It doesn't really matter. The XLR out receives the same pair of signals as the RCA out. Most of the extra cost of the Bifrost 2 goes towards the two multibit DACs. If it's any consolation, Jason likes to pair the Bifrost 2 with an Asgard 3 for everyday listening.

Aug 3, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #71 of 306
It doesn't really matter. The XLR out receives the same pair of signals as the RCA out. Most of the extra cost of the Bifrost 2 goes towards the two multibit DACs. If it's any consolation, Jason likes to pair the Bifrost 2 with an Asgard 3 for everyday listening.

Okay thanks. I have been curious about the Asgard 3 also. I wonder how it would compared sound wise to the Valhalla 2? I was comparing my current HP amp the Marantz HD-DAC1 to the headphone out on my Marantz PM7005 stereo amp. They sound very close to each other if not identical. I know they are from the same company but I don't think there is an actual HP amp inside the PM7005. I'd say the DAC1 is a bit more refined but that's it. But I think the DAC inside the DAC1 is very good. I'll keep an eye out for a Bifrost 2 on the used market though.

Aug 5, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #72 of 306
Okay thanks. I have been curious about the Asgard 3 also. I wonder how it would compared sound wise to the Valhalla 2? I was comparing my current HP amp the Marantz HD-DAC1 to the headphone out on my Marantz PM7005 stereo amp. They sound very close to each other if not identical. I know they are from the same company but I don't think there is an actual HP amp inside the PM7005. I'd say the DAC1 is a bit more refined but that's it. But I think the DAC inside the DAC1 is very good. I'll keep an eye out for a Bifrost 2 on the used market though.
All Schiit HPAs I've listened to have a similar sound. I've never listened to the Asgard, but I have a Jot 2 and I would say that the Valhalla 2 is like a tube version of the Jot 2. I think the kind of headphones you have/like will end up shaping the amps you use. Low impedance or planar cans will nudge you towards amps like the Asgard or Jotunheim. I have an HD6XX and T1.2 so I like OTL tube amps.

Aug 5, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #73 of 306
I just received my Valhalla 2. A few days earlier than anticipated. Tried it with the stock tubes and now trying it with the aftermarket tubes. To be honest I don't notice a big difference between them. I'm listening with my HD6XX currently. The amp does get quite toasty. For now I am just using the DAC in my MacBook Pro. But tomorrow or Saturday I will change to the DAC in my Marantz HD-DAC1. Right now it's connected to my two channel stereo setup and I don't feel like unplugging everything. Given how short the front tubes are it was pretty annoying to swap the tubes. So I will be looking for some tube risers/socket savers.

Aug 5, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #74 of 306
I just received my Valhalla 2. A few days earlier than anticipated. Tried it with the stock tubes and now trying it with the aftermarket tubes. To be honest I don't notice a big difference between them. I'm listening with my HD6XX currently. The amp does get quite toasty. For now I am just using the DAC in my MacBook Pro. But tomorrow or Saturday I will change to the DAC in my Marantz HD-DAC1. Right now it's connected to my two channel stereo setup and I don't feel like unplugging everything. Given how short the front tubes are it was pretty annoying to swap the tubes. So I will be looking for some tube risers/socket savers.
If you use socket savers or adapters for the front tubes, you might consider them also for the back tubes. The Valhalla II will definitely run cooler but still warm. This is from the Valhalla Tube Rolling thread:
C35C37E7-C7F9-48B5-9405-128286A99EEB.jpeg

Aug 5, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #75 of 306
If you use socket savers or adapters for the front tubes, you might consider them also for the back tubes. The Valhalla II will definitely run cooler but still warm. This is from the Valhalla Tube Rolling thread:

Yeah it would be nice to have them for both sets. But I have no idea where to find them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back