Schiit Valhalla 2 impressions
Aug 6, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #76 of 306
For socket savers (tube risers but not adapters), you can go the inexpensive route [Tube Depot] or the recommended route [Pulse Tube Store]. I use the PTS socket savers when adapters are not needed.
30A9B4E8-A099-453B-9809-01F1603B3C18.png
8B70145E-348F-4C61-9BB2-B2F81F689B91.png

Aug 6, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #77 of 306
What is the difference between a socket saver and adapter? I guess with an adapter I can use tubes not designed for a particular amp right?

Aug 6, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #78 of 306
What is the difference between a socket saver and adapter? I guess with an adapter I can use tubes not designed for a particular amp right?
~ An adapter will allow the use of a tube in an amplifier circuit where that circuit may have been designed with a different tube type in mind.
~ There are limits to using an “adapted” tube in an amplifier circuit. Parameters such as ‘amplification factor’ and ‘filament current draw’ for the “adapted” tube should equal to (ideal) or be close to the values of the “native” tube being substituted.
~ A socket saver is just that. It goes between the “native” tube (or an equivalent) and the tube socket. Replacing / rolling tubes will wear out the saver rather than the socket.

Aug 6, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #79 of 306
~ An adapter will allow the use of a tube in an amplifier circuit where that circuit may have been designed with a different tube type in mind.
~ There are limits to using an “adapted” tube in an amplifier circuit. Parameters such as ‘amplification factor’ and ‘filament current draw’ for the “adapted” tube should equal to (ideal) or be close to the values of the “native” tube being substituted.
~ A socket saver is just that. It goes between the “native” tube (or an equivalent) and the tube socket. Replacing / rolling tubes will wear out the saver rather than the socket.

Is it advisable to use an adapter on top of a socket saver?

Aug 6, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #80 of 306
Is it advisable to use an adapter on top of a socket saver?
You can if you wish. The adapter, besides “rewiring” the amplifier circuit to accept the “adapted” tube, will raise the tube sufficiently that the hpa should run cooler (but still warm).

Aug 7, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #81 of 306
You can if you wish. The adapter, besides “rewiring” the amplifier circuit to accept the “adapted” tube, will raise the tube sufficiently that the hpa should run cooler (but still warm).

Okay. Well the quest for tubes seems very overwhelming. The manual does state what types of tubes I can use. However I look at ads like this which feel like a mile long. And this seller has tons of ads here. https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649522398-vintage-telefunken-6aq8-ecc85-tubes/ I don't use eBay as I do not have and do not want PayPal. Perhaps tube amps are not for me.

Aug 7, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #82 of 306
So here are my "first impressions" with this amp compared to my Marantz HD-DAC1.

I have been going back and forth between the Valhalla 2 and my Marantz HD-DAC1. I am using the DAC in the HD-DAC1 for both amps. To be honest the sound between these two is almost identical. There is perhaps a slight refinement with the Valhalla 2 and a bit more bass slam. The Valhalla 2 does seem to separate instruments a bit more compared to the DAC1. However the difference is pretty subtle. Not sure if that is a testament to the amp or DAC of the HD-DAC1 but I would not hesitate to recommend it for anyone considering it. The clarity and detail is equal in both amps with maybe a very slight edge towards the Valhalla 2. I did try the stock tubes and I didn't really notice any difference compared to the aftermarket ones.

So the question is do I keep the Valhalla 2 or stick with the HD-DAC1? If I sell the HD-DAC1 then what DAC to I get? Some have suggested the Bifrost 2 as that combined with the Valhalla 2 provides a more "analog" sound. Or what about a Topping D70S or the cheaper E30?

Attachments

• IMG_3560.JPG
    IMG_3560.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Aug 7, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #83 of 306
So here are my "first impressions" with this amp compared to my Marantz HD-DAC1.

I have been going back and forth between the Valhalla 2 and my Marantz HD-DAC1. I am using the DAC in the HD-DAC1 for both amps. To be honest the sound between these two is almost identical. There is perhaps a slight refinement with the Valhalla 2 and a bit more bass slam. The Valhalla 2 does seem to separate instruments a bit more compared to the DAC1. However the difference is pretty subtle. Not sure if that is a testament to the amp or DAC of the HD-DAC1 but I would not hesitate to recommend it for anyone considering it. The clarity and detail is equal in both amps with maybe a very slight edge towards the Valhalla 2. I did try the stock tubes and I didn't really notice any difference compared to the aftermarket ones.
Valhalla 2 is known as a less-tubey tube amp, probably due to its unique circuit design, which is probably why you don't hear a profound difference between it and your ss amp. I didn't hear a huge difference at first either, and A-B testing really didn't reveal immediately obvious differences, but over time I have come to hear a very distinct sound signature from Valhalla and the loss of that flavor IS immediately obvious to me when I switch to solid state. I think it just comes from familiarity with the sound over a long period of time. Whether that is worth it for you or not is up to you.

If you want something with a more immediately obvious "tubey-ness", try a DarkVoice.

Aug 7, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #84 of 306
Valhalla 2 is known as a less-tubey tube amp, probably due to its unique circuit design, which is probably why you don't hear a profound difference between it and your ss amp. I didn't hear a huge difference at first either, and A-B testing really didn't reveal immediately obvious differences, but over time I have come to hear a very distinct sound signature from Valhalla and the loss of that flavor IS immediately obvious to me when I switch to solid state. I think it just comes from familiarity with the sound over a long period of time. Whether that is worth it for you or not is up to you.

If you want something with a more immediately obvious "tubey-ness", try a DarkVoice.

I was considering a Darkvoice for a while. There is one for sale here with extra tubes. Price seems a bit high even with those extra tubes. Keep in mind the price is in Canadian dollars. https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649686361-darkvoice-336se-w-upgraded-tubes-bundle/

Aug 8, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #85 of 306

~ The Valhalla II certainly does not have a ‘tubey’ sound signature: dripping liquid midrange, soft plump bass, slightly rolled off highs.
~ The Valhalla II also does not have the glaring, upfront, whitish sound of some ‘perfect measurement’ solid-state gear.
~ What, to my ears, the Valhalla II has is a serendipitous mix of: bass control and extension, full dimensionality in the midrange, ethereal openness in the treble, and lifelike rendition of ambience and reverberation. Plus, vocals come across beautifully.
~ The Valhalla II, as do well-designed tube h/p/a in my experience, reproduces the air between instruments / singers without ‘electrically energising’ it. To my ears, even the best solid-state ‘electrically energises’ that air. In real life, that air is ‘electrically’ inert while sound moves through it. [I surmise that this is part of what @chrisnyc75 hears when he switches from Valhalla II to solid-state.]
~ Lastly, the Valhalla II can reveal sonic differences between tubes and tube types: for the 6N6Ps, Foton and NEVZ vs the rest; for the driver tubes, 12AT7 (w/adapter) vs 7308 vs 6DJ8. That, however, is for the “Valhalla Tube Rolling” thread…

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #86 of 306
So I have sold the Marantz HD-DAC1. Now I am looking for a new DAC to pair with the Valhalla 2. I am considering the Bifrost 2 but it's about a two month wait if I buy new. A used one seems scarce to find. Any other quality considerations? Preferably under $800 Canadian.

Aug 19, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #87 of 306
A question for Valhalla II owners. Has anyone tried using the Valhalla II as a preamplifier to the Jotunheim II, as a ‘Frankenstein’ way to synthesise a Mjolnir II?

Aug 27, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #88 of 306
~ Quite the duo: Schiit Valhalla II and the Audeze LCD-X. It is funk/R&B night chez moi.
~ The music menu this evening features Brass Construction, Stephanie Mills, MFSB, Ohio Players…
~ The Valhalla-LCD-X duo pumps out the music with authority! Linear response, ☑️; wide dynamics, ☑️; ambience/reverberation, ☑️; palpable soundscape/imaging, ☑️; great vocals, ☑️. Who could want more?
E69A808C-8D57-4A2D-8939-D26D47275014.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #89 of 306
~ Quite the duo: Schiit Valhalla II and the Audeze LCD-X. It is funk/R&B night chez moi.
~ The music menu this evening features Brass Construction, Stephanie Mills, MFSB, Ohio Players…
~ The Valhalla-LCD-X duo pumps out the music with authority! Linear response, ☑️; wide dynamics, ☑️; ambience/reverberation, ☑️; palpable soundscape/imaging, ☑️; great vocals, ☑️. Who could want more?
Hi how good does the valhalla 2 drive a low impedance planar cans compared to some similar priced solidstate amps? I read that it puts only about 180mW into 50ohms load. Tks

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #90 of 306
Hi how good does the valhalla 2 drive a low impedance planar cans compared to some similar priced solidstate amps? I read that it puts only about 180mW into 50ohms load. Tks
I wish that I could answer your question. The only ss h/p/a that I own is the Violectric V280 and it is not priced similarly to the Valhalla II. It is about 3x the price of the Valhalla II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back