Schiit Valhalla 2 impressions
May 18, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #136 of 306
You may be correct but I believe the computer will have a very minimal impact on the final sound quality. If a computer made a significant difference wouldn’t the modem and wiring to the modem also matter?
There is a thread in Head-Fi that may be of interest to you. The thread is not that long (yet?):
4828C6EE-6052-453A-BBCC-30E25D2D58CB.jpeg

May 19, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #137 of 306
I also didn't find a big difference between the Valhalla 2 and the Jot 2. And like you I also use a Bifrost 2 as my DAC with a Macbook or Allo Usbridge. When I got a WA2 I finally understood what "tube sound" meant. Here are some suggestions:
  • The Vali 2+ gets you a decent amount of tube sound at a great price and takes a wide variety of tubes
  • The Feliks Echo takes the same tubes as the Valhalla, but I've never used one so I can't tell you how tubey it sounds
  • Pretty much everyone loves the Bottlehead Crack so can't go wrong there
  • The WA3 will def give you some tube sound and they pop up every now and then on the classifieds for a good price
  • I've never listened to a Darkvoice, but I have a kneejerk dislike of them. Something from deep inside me says don't buy that dumb amp :)
Best of luck!

What about the Vali 2+ as a pre-amp into the Jot 2? I think I've seen some people doing that.

May 19, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #138 of 306
What about the Vali 2+ as a pre-amp into the Jot 2? I think I've seen some people doing that.
I had this set up for a little while. It did sound good, particularly for adding some tube flavor to the chain while still driving planars with the Jot. It was interesting to easily A/B test between volume matched Vali preamp and balanced input from a DAC. I'm not a tube expert, but to me, it only added a little "tube magic". But that might be what you're after.

May 19, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #139 of 306
I had this set up for a little while. It did sound good, particularly for adding some tube flavor to the chain while still driving planars with the Jot. It was interesting to easily A/B test between volume matched Vali preamp and balanced input from a DAC. I'm not a tube expert, but to me, it only added a little "tube magic". But that might be what you're after.
That's a good point about easily A/B testing with a Jot and Bifrost. Did you set the Vali to high gain? I've heard that setting to low gain gives less of a tube sound, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to have it set to high when using as a preamp.

May 19, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #140 of 306
That's a good point about easily A/B testing with a Jot and Bifrost. Did you set the Vali to high gain? I've heard that setting to low gain gives less of a tube sound, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to have it set to high when using as a preamp.
I did use high gain on the Vali. That was the only way to get in the right range to match the Bifrost balanced out to Jot volume without having to switch the Jot gain.

I think the output impedance on the Vali is a bit higher in high gain, though I couldn't really tell a difference when using as a preamp. Maybe a slight difference with certain headphones plugged into the Vali, but nothing substantial in my experience.

Edit to add:
I'll say I prefer my Senns and ZMFs on the Valhalla 2 over the pre-Vali and Jot.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #141 of 306
To be honest I'm pretty hesitant to buy more tubes for either my Valhalla 2 or Lyr 3. I don't really hear a noticeable difference between the tubes. But I do know that Schiit does not market the Valhalla 2 as "tubey" tube amp and the Lyr 3 is a hybrid. I'm sure there are other tubes which would be great to listen through but I'm sure I'd notice the differences more on other tube amps.

May 28, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #142 of 306
To be honest I'm pretty hesitant to buy more tubes for either my Valhalla 2 or Lyr 3. I don't really hear a noticeable difference between the tubes. But I do know that Schiit does not market the Valhalla 2 as "tubey" tube amp and the Lyr 3 is a hybrid. I'm sure there are other tubes which would be great to listen through but I'm sure I'd notice the differences more on other tube amps.
going from the stock tubes for the valhalla2 to tungsram was a pretty big change in a good way.

May 28, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #143 of 306
going from the stock tubes for the valhalla2 to tungsram was a pretty big change in a good way.
If those are / were the Tungsram E88CC, I absolutely 👍.

Jun 17, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #144 of 306
I've really been enjoying the Valhalla 2. Terrific unit. Great value. But, when comparing it to another OTL amp, my Feliks Audio Espressivio, I felt that it was often times lacking that tube warmth. Today I received a match pair of RU-6N6P Novosibrirsk. I don't have any experience with tube rolling but thought I start here. Oh my gosh! It's a completely different Amp. The sound is exactly what I would expect from an OTL tube amp. Warm, lush, great bass, better sound stage (both vertical and horizontal). I have to say, that it's as good or better than the Espressivio.

Tubes aren't that cheap so I probably won't be doing any tube rolling soon, but I'm definitely feeling very good about this development right now!

Leo

Jun 17, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #145 of 306
I've really been enjoying the Valhalla 2. Terrific unit. Great value. But, when comparing it to another OTL amp, my Feliks Audio Espressivio, I felt that it was often times lacking that tube warmth. Today I received a match pair of RU-6N6P Novosibrirsk. I don't have any experience with tube rolling but thought I start here. Oh my gosh! It's a completely different Amp. The sound is exactly what I would expect from an OTL tube amp. Warm, lush, great bass, better sound stage (both vertical and horizontal). I have to say, that it's as good or better than the Espressivio.

Tubes aren't that cheap so I probably won't be doing any tube rolling soon, but I'm definitely feeling very good about this development right now!

Leo
The other 6N6Ps that you might investigate (at your leisure!) are the Fotons. Between those and the Novosibirsks (matched pairs), I experienced a significant improvement over the ‘stock’ power tubes for Valhalla 2. ☑️

Jun 18, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #146 of 306
The other 6N6Ps that you might investigate (at your leisure!) are the Fotons. Between those and the Novosibirsks (matched pairs), I experienced a significant improvement over the ‘stock’ power tubes for Valhalla 2. ☑️
Thanks Jonathan! Appreciate the tip. I'll check the Fotons out when I next get that "itch". Until then my matched pair of the Novosibirsks will be just great!!

Jun 18, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #147 of 306
Thanks Jonathan! Appreciate the tip. I'll check the Fotons out when I next get that "itch". Until then my matched pair of the Novosibirsks will be just great!!
And there’s fuse upgrading, too! 🤪🤣

Jun 18, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #148 of 306

Leo
Curious where you bought the tubes?

Jun 19, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #149 of 306
Curious where you bought the tubes?
TheTubeStore.Com. Hamilton, ON Canada. Shipped to me here in Florida standard shipping and received in 2 days. I ordered a matched pair for an extra $5.

Jun 19, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #150 of 306

Leo

Upon at least visual inspection the Novosibirsks tubes seem to be the same as the stock Valhalla 2 tubes. In any case I recently sold my Valhalla as I now have a BHC with speedball and a Feliks Audio Echo MKII. The latter uses the same type of tubes as the Valhalla 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back