Schiit Valhalla 2 impressions
Jun 19, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #151 of 306
Upon at least visual inspection the Novosibirsks tubes seem to be the same as the stock Valhalla 2 tubes. In any case I recently sold my Valhalla as I now have a BHC with speedball and a Feliks Audio Echo MKII. The latter uses the same type of tubes as the Valhalla 2.
For thought: a possible reason that the Echo II could sound ‘tubier’ than Valhalla 2, despite the same tube configuration, is a much higher output impedance ( typical of an OTL amp.) The output impedance for Valhalla 2 is 3.5 ohms @ low-gain setting and 14.0 ohms @ high-gain setting: very low values for an OTL amp.

Jun 19, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #152 of 306
I overall really liked the Valhalla 2. If there is one thing I would change is the recessed tube sockets. I would have put them at the same level as the top of the case. Otherwise it's an overall great tube amp at or even above it's price.

Jun 20, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #153 of 306
Upon at least visual inspection the Novosibirsks tubes seem to be the same as the stock Valhalla 2 tubes. In any case I recently sold my Valhalla as I now have a BHC with speedball and a Feliks Audio Echo MKII. The latter uses the same type of tubes as the Valhalla 2.
I have the Feliks Audio Espressivio. I didn't know that they are the same tubes... Goes to show I'm not a tube guy at all! I'll see if I can roll them from the V2 to the FA Espressivio. Thanks for the tips!

Jun 20, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #154 of 306
I overall really liked the Valhalla 2. If there is one thing I would change is the recessed tube sockets. I would have put them at the same level as the top of the case. Otherwise it's an overall great tube amp at or even above it's price.
That is easily remedied with 6922–>6922 (nonal —> nonal) socket savers.

Aug 12, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #155 of 306
A question to the Valhalla 2 owners, I noticed with my V2 the LED is always slightly glowing when the V2 is plugged into an power outlet. When I don't use it for some time I take it of the power grid, when I plug it back in after some time the LED starts to glow slightly just by itself. I wonder if this behavior normal and if, by coincidence, anybody has measured the power uptake of a V2 when switched of?
I know V2 takes some time too cool down and during this time the LED is on.

Aug 12, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #156 of 306
So after several years of use my right front tube socket is now "loose" despite only removing the tubes once or twice. This causes the right audio channel to be much quieter than the left, or buzzing, unless the tube is wiggled a bit. Faulty connection within the socket or the electronics, maybe from the heat/cool cycles. What are my options? (it's not the tube, have tried swapping them.)

Aug 12, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #157 of 306
A question to the Valhalla 2 owners, I noticed with my V2 the LED is always slightly glowing when the V2 is plugged into an power outlet. When I don't use it for some time I take it of the power grid, when I plug it back in after some time the LED starts to glow slightly just by itself. I wonder if this behavior normal and if, by coincidence, anybody has measured the power uptake of a V2 when switched of?
I know V2 takes some time too cool down and during this time the LED is on.
Haven't really noticed that it glows with my Valhalla 2. I usually leave it connected to the powerbar at most times, but unplugging the powerbar if there is a storm or something. mine is quite OLD tho. :)

Aug 12, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #158 of 306
H
So after several years of use my right front tube socket is now "loose" despite only removing the tubes once or twice. This causes the right audio channel to be much quieter than the left, or buzzing, unless the tube is wiggled a bit. Faulty connection within the socket or the electronics, maybe from the heat/cool cycles. What are my options? (it's not the tube, have tried swapping them.)
hey! have you tried to place a socket saver "before" the tube? it might have a "tighter" connection... otherwise... send it for repair and maybe "re-soldering / re-seating" the connector will fix it!

Oct 21, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #159 of 306
I have hd600 and I currently am using magni 3+ as headphone amp. I’m down to Valhalla 2 or Lyr+ for my next amp purchase as I love the schiit products. Anyone want to share some thoughts on what they think is a better choice for the hd600? Appreciate it!

Oct 21, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #160 of 306
I have hd600 and I currently am using magni 3+ as headphone amp. I’m down to Valhalla 2 or Lyr+ for my next amp purchase as I love the schiit products. Anyone want to share some thoughts on what they think is a better choice for the hd600? Appreciate it!
Unfortunately, I can only comment on the Valhalla 2. Great Amp, and it really drives my 6xx, 660s with ease. Removes the famous Senn "veil". It is an older amp and would not be surprised if there is a Valhalla 3 at some point in the future. My guess only. Haven't seen any discussions about a pending announcement. I've heard good things Lyr+. Please let us know what you decide and how you like what you get.

Good luck!

Leo

Oct 22, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #161 of 306
HD600 is wonderful on Valhalla 2. Even better with Brimar CV4033 input tubes. I wish I still had them both.

Oct 23, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #162 of 306
Unfortunately, I can only comment on the Valhalla 2. Great Amp, and it really drives my 6xx, 660s with ease. Removes the famous Senn "veil". It is an older amp and would not be surprised if there is a Valhalla 3 at some point in the future. My guess only. Haven't seen any discussions about a pending announcement. I've heard good things Lyr+. Please let us know what you decide and how you like what you get.

Good luck!

Leo
Thanks for your thoughts! You and Carbon might be the reason I get the Valhalla 2. Still deciding :) I wonder if the Senn veil as people call it is simply not powering the headphones with enough gain/power. I recently made a switch to high gain on the Magni 3+ and it's like this hd600 is alive finally. The soundstage, how the instruments mix together is incredible, and the clutter is all gone. I feel like I kinda got that veil feeling sometimes with low gain. So maybe that's why people also say these type of headphones scale well. It could simply be they react to more power the best. I feel like I'm missing nothing right now, but still curious if an OTL sound can be enjoyable.

Oct 24, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #163 of 306
Thanks for your thoughts! You and Carbon might be the reason I get the Valhalla 2. Still deciding :) I wonder if the Senn veil as people call it is simply not powering the headphones with enough gain/power. I recently made a switch to high gain on the Magni 3+ and it's like this hd600 is alive finally. The soundstage, how the instruments mix together is incredible, and the clutter is all gone. I feel like I kinda got that veil feeling sometimes with low gain. So maybe that's why people also say these type of headphones scale well. It could simply be they react to more power the best. I feel like I'm missing nothing right now, but still curious if an OTL sound can be enjoyable.
everyone has their opinion. All are right for them, and me! Take my thoughts with a grain of salt. A great OTL amp, or a powerful SS amp make a huge difference. I have heard the comments about the veil. As a matter of fact I've heard the veil. If you have no comparison, you may think the headphones are great mids with nothing else. But properly driven, they are great! Also, the Custom Cans mod really brighten them. Much much better than stock (IMHO). Check them out ... Under $30 for the kit from the U.K. Highly recommend them..

Leo

Oct 24, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #164 of 306
I really like the Valhalla2. Great amp. In my opinion, not quiet as good as the Feliks Audio Espressivio, but tremendously cheaper, with not a huge difference. When I first started listening to my Grado GS300x I stated that it didn't sound at all good with Valhalla2. Well. I have a few hundred hours on them, and I have to say that they sound amazing with the Valhalla2. Not sure if it was brain burn in, or headphone burn in. Regardless, I highly recommend this combination....
Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back