Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse
Oct 20, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #76 of 972
I’ve been using KEF ls50 in nearfield pc like setup for 6 months or more with Ragnarok/Yggdrasil. The speakers sit about 21” or so from me sitting on speakers stands on my desk at ear level. The sound to me is sublime. Right now i’m Also using the foam inserts in ports to experiment in sound difference from having them out. Not sure I really hear much difference. That all said, I know the set up is not perfect but it’s more than acceptable to me.

Just my opinion using the exact equipment you’re discussing.

Oct 20, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #77 of 972
I’ve been using KEF ls50 in nearfield pc like setup for 6 months or more with Ragnarok/Yggdrasil. The speakers sit about 21” or so from me sitting on speakers stands on my desk at ear level. The sound to me is sublime. Right now i’m Also using the foam inserts in ports to experiment in sound difference from having them out. Not sure I really hear much difference. That all said, I know the set up is not perfect but it’s more than acceptable to me.

Just my opinion using the exact equipment you’re discussing.
Awesome! I think in That case I will keep my ls50 after I upgrade further. If I haven't decided with certainty that I'm going to give them away that is. Which was the plan. Only problem is I've already sacrificed my pc setup for a portable laptop. Got rid of the desk. I want the best possible stereo music experience and sadly my room is just too small.

Oct 20, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #78 of 972
I haven't been home for some weeks so I didn't actually finish testing and moving things around. will update with new 3d render(everything in scale) once I get home.

What I do know is that I couldn't remove the foam inserts when having them close to the back wall, slams so much out the back of the LS50 its insane.
I would like to move them further from the right wall as I can hear/feel the slam from the sides of the LS50. but the improvement in other ways outway the need to use the foam.
My room is quite weird, as the arrow shows, I flipped it over to that wall, moved them further from the wall and kinda centered them. you can see where one of the speakers back is faced towards the kitchen area.
deskstuff2.png

Oct 20, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #79 of 972
@ D2Girl You don't need a bigger speaker than your LS50 since your room is small like mine.

35884026712_c7853c9d01_c_d.jpg

Also, I don't do any room treatment on my bedroom as I find that the room control (bass) switch on the back works fine at -4db setting

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #80 of 972
Playing with a new toy. I have several ways to get music into my Saga. Turntable/phono stage, analog outs of my Yamaha universal disc player, GCA into my Mimby. I just got an IDPI from JRiver. Its a RPi with a case and a power supply, loaded with JRiver Media Center. It can be used as a renderer or a mini-server. I played music through it as a renderer for hours last night into the USB input of my Mimby. Sounded great. It took a few hours of frustration to figure out why it wouldn't see my NAS usb drive. It had to to with spaces in the volume name. It is now scanning in the library. When it is done I should be able to play all my music without my PC being on. The GCA works OK. It's just annoying that Google won't let it play local content unless it sees an internet connection. If they can't snoop, they won't let you play music. Kind of intrusive.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #81 of 972
Nov 18, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #82 of 972
Nov 19, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #83 of 972
I haven't been home for some weeks so I didn't actually finish testing and moving things around. will update with new 3d render(everything in scale) once I get home.

What I do know is that I couldn't remove the foam inserts when having them close to the back wall, slams so much out the back of the LS50 its insane.
I would like to move them further from the right wall as I can hear/feel the slam from the sides of the LS50. but the improvement in other ways outway the need to use the foam.
My room is quite weird, as the arrow shows, I flipped it over to that wall, moved them further from the wall and kinda centered them. you can see where one of the speakers back is faced towards the kitchen area.

I have more or less the same problem. Have my ATC SCM11s placed completely inappropriately. But that's temporary, as our house undergoes re-painting/refurbishing. Once the living room is finished, we'll have plenty of space to properly position the loudspeakers!

ATC_S_Stands.jpg

Nov 19, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #84 of 972
I was thinking for a long time to replace my class-D amp with the Schiit Vidar (two amps run in mono block configuration). I decided against the Vidars and made my mind up for the Odyssey Audio's Khartago with the Kismet upgrade (http://www.odysseyaudio.com/index.html) and balanced version. Not as good a bargain as the Vidars, but I read some flashy reviews about the amp. I have never heard it, so I take the plunge. We'll see how it goes with the rest of my equipment. The amp should arrive soon. We'll keep you posted, even though it's not Schiit :frowning2:(

Dec 3, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #86 of 972
Greetings All:

I have a question for all you Schittheads. I'm wanting to digitize my quasi-sizable LP collection. The turntable/receiver is ~ 12' away from my computer. A cable run of either RCA line-level patchcords or a powered USB cable will be roughly twice that because of doorways.

My plan was to have a Jil at the computer and run long line-level cables from the receiver's line-level outs to the Jil, or put the Jil next to the receiver, use short length line-levels, and run a long USB cable, or couple the Jil to a Mani and bypass the receiver completely, again running either a long line-level patchcord or USB cable. Moving components closer is out of the question. I could run shorter cables on the floor temporarily and then break them down when I'm done recording, but would like something semi-permanent.

Given this scenario, what do you think my best option might be? Thanks!

Dec 3, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #87 of 972
Greetings All:

I have a question for all you Schittheads. I'm wanting to digitize my quasi-sizable LP collection. The turntable/receiver is ~ 12' away from my computer. A cable run of either RCA line-level patchcords or a powered USB cable will be roughly twice that because of doorways.

My plan was to have a Jil at the computer and run long line-level cables from the receiver's line-level outs to the Jil, or put the Jil next to the receiver, use short length line-levels, and run a long USB cable, or couple the Jil to a Mani and bypass the receiver completely, again running either a long line-level patchcord or USB cable. Moving components closer is out of the question. I could run shorter cables on the floor temporarily and then break them down when I'm done recording, but would like something semi-permanent.

You're within the maximum 16.5' for USB 2.0 cables, but 12' is still far too long for my comfort level. RCA cords can run a couple hundred feet (I Googled that, so it must be true), therefore I'd put the Jil at the computer. I probably don't have to tell you, but use well-shielded cables, and keep appliances, motors, phones, radios, etc. away from those wires while you're ripping. Personally I'd still put the cables on the floor for a shorter run, and if anyone will be walking around the area I'd stuff them into rubber duct cord cover. Your local fire inspector would approve.

Dec 3, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #88 of 972
Heard about this thread over on Jason Stoddard’s blog.

I am an occasional headphone user (Sen HD 600), but mostly an old two channel dinosaur.

More than a decade ago I got into speaker building. I was looking to buy a new pair of speakers and had just about decided on Totem Hawks. Unfortunately (or maybe fortuitously) we suddenly needed a new roof on our house, which took precedence over buying speakers. And then I wandered into DIYaudio.com and a wild & crazy bunch of speaker builders. I’m not talented enough to work out cross-over networks, so I fell into single full range drivers. (Now one might argue that SFRDs are sort of over grown headphones.) Well, speaker building is like eating potato chips—can’t stop at just one…or two, or three, or… Yeah, there’s a bunch of them around the house.

And this is where Schiit comes in. The living room rig consists of two pairs of speakers, two power amps, a CD player, and other sources like the TV. Thus the need for a pre-amp. Saga fits the bill perfectly: 5 inputs, two outputs, plus a remote. Before Saga, I used a SYS connected to a Dynakitparts.com ST-35 tube amp driving a pair of Metronome speakers using Fostex F120A drivers. (The F120A is an alnico motor & doesn’t seem to like SS amps.) That’s my jazz system.

For classical music, I built a pair of transmission line speakers using Fostex FF225wk drivers augmented by Eminence APT-80 super tweeters. The FF225wk don’t sound so good in the bass with the ST-35, so I built Nelson Pass designed Amp Camp Amp class A mono blocks for them. Turns out there is an impedance issue using the SYS with the ACA monos, so I was using an inexpensive tube pre-amp instead. When I heard about the Saga last year, I though Jason must have read my mind. Saga is exactly what I needed!

Next year, I hope to add a Modi MB to see if it can improve on the DS DAC in my Emotiva ERC-3 CD player.

Cheers, Jim

Dec 3, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #89 of 972
Two channel Schiit is the schiit.

Dec 3, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #90 of 972
Greetings All:

USB 2.0 will not work at lengths over 5 meters. By design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back