Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse
Sep 24, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #31 of 972
Mr Rick, just discovered your forum from your post on another Schiit forum. I'm a total 2-channel guy. My Schiit rig is on my desk-top. I'm running Ragnarok-Yggdrasil with KEF LS-50 the last 6-8 months and just love it. My LCD-x just sits with very little use. I feel I get a more realistic sound through two channel. Just my 2 cents.

Welcome Joe, Mike, and other newcomers. I must admit I too have spent more time listening to my speakers then headphones recently. But, each has it's place.

I am an aging "Veteran Cosmic Rocker" and I will admit my first set of cans was a pair of Senn 414s. I go back and forth. It's nice to have the option to choose cans or speakers.

Years ago , when I was still a young pup, I asked Paul Klipsch the secret to great two channel reproduction. He had a two word answer. "Multiple transducers". I've taken that to heart, and now have a system that includes KEF LS50s, two Warfedale center channel speakers used as a stereo pair, a small set of Fostex back loaded horn speakers, and Emotiva Airmotive 5 powered monitors. All gloriously playing together through Parasound and Prima Luna amplifiers, driven by a Schiit Gumby and Schiit Freya.

I have A Schiit Mani for vinyl. and anxiously await the Schiit turntable release.

On the headphone side, I have a half dozen or so headphones that I select based on music genre. I have reduced my headphone amps down to a Schiit Valhalla, a Schiit Jotunheim and a Dark Voice 336SE.

Welcome to all. Lets talk audio !!!

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #32 of 972
So I've been waiting around for some impressions and holding off on mine until my Gumby is Gen 5ved up. They exchanged places via fed ex but everything will be back in place Friday evening. I've used the Bimby with my Mjolnir 2 but I notice the difference. Ha. I've also noticed that even with this less-than setup my single Vidar running the Emotiva Airmotiv T2s is giving my headphones a long rest. Flac files and Tidal through a microRendu Roon endpoint to the Bimby and the M2 preout provide a great soundstage and enough bottom that my sub isn't going to be used.

More to come...

Mr Tanner,

How about an update on your Gen 5 Gumby, as used in your system. Will my old, abused ears hear the difference??

Sep 24, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #33 of 972
My first set of cans were Koss Pro 4-AA. Way back in the day. I've spent 45 years putting 2-channel together and feel kinda like at end game with the vinyl rig, cd player etc down in the listening room. More work in the office brought me to Schiit stack in the office and I now spend way more time listening there than downstairs. I'm getting lazy and admit it. Much easier to deal with music through my SONICTRANSPORTER AP 8TB (ROON SERVER) and Roon. The Ragnarok-Yggrsail-KEF LS 50 with sub is terrific and I get to listen for many hours with no problem.

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #34 of 972
Mr Tanner,

How about an update on your Gen 5 Gumby, as used in your system. Will my old, abused ears hear the difference??
Mr Tanner,

I’m very pleased with the fully contemporized Gumby. I’m listened to my speakers much more than ever before thanks to the single Vidar fed from my Mjolnir 2 preouts. I went through several upgrades all at once so it’s hard to speak to one particular upgrade like the Gen 5 card. I haven’t done the new card in my Bimby yet but that is mostly due to the way I’m using it at my desk. The jump to the Gungnir multibit from that dac in my main listening area is easily justified however for me.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #35 of 972
Mr Rick, just discovered your forum from your post on another Schiit forum. I'm a total 2-channel guy. My Schiit rig is on my desk-top. I'm running Ragnarok-Yggdrasil with KEF LS-50 the last 6-8 months and just love it. My LCD-x just sits with very little use. I feel I get a more realistic sound through two channel. Just my 2 cents.
I just got here the same way. I use headphones for monitoring and when I travel. Other than that it's speakers. I have a full 5.1 rig for movies and high def surround music and a two channel system consisting of a Saga driving an NAD C275BEE driving a pair of PSB Imagine T2's. Connect to the Saga are a Modi Multibit DAC, a VPI Scout/Ortofon Rondo Blue/ Simaudio Moon 110LP, and the analog outputs of my Yamaha BD-A1060 universal disk player.

Sep 25, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #36 of 972
Hey folks, I think I triggered a small resurgence in this thread by saying in the Schiit Happenned thread that there was a lack of 2-channel threads on Head-fi (for which @Mr Rick replied with his link).

Anyhow glad to have a chance to chat about this stuff in a more focused thread.

Currently I am running a Sonore microRendu into Schiit Gumby (with Gen5 Usb), Saga and 1 Vidar. This is feeding my ATC SCM19 speakers. Loving the music this setup is putting out for me since I've had this setup. Most recent additions were Vidar and Gen 5 board. I also have Eitr which I have used with my PC and another DAC and set of powered speakers on my desktop setup.

With Saga right now I am going between the stock tubes and a new stock Tung-sol tube, both of which I find fairly similar sounding. The soundstage gets a bit larger with the tube buffer engaged, but can also be ever so slightly strident. Looking for something with a very slight mellow sound on the top end. Unfortunately not sure where to find NOS 6SN7 in Canada that won't cost me a fortune...just have to keep a close eye out on the used market I suppose, which I have been for some time.

I have compared most of my Schiit gear to other gear I have purchased on the used market over the last couple years, but really haven't found anything that has beat any of the Schiit components I own, including many that would have cost significantly more new. They really are an incredible value.

Next purchase I am considering is Freya, in order to go balanced from Gumby, to see if it makes much of a difference and to possibly add some "tube bloom" - however then I'll be into trying to find 4x as many tubes!

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #37 of 972
Hey folks, I think I triggered a small resurgence in this thread by saying in the Schiit Happenned thread that there was a lack of 2-channel threads on Head-fi (for which @Mr Rick replied with his link).

Currently I am running a Sonore microRendu into Schiit Gumby (with Gen5 Usb), Saga and 1 Vidar. This is feeding my ATC SCM19 speakers. Loving the music this setup is putting out for me since I've had this setup. Most recent additions were Vidar and Gen 5 board. I also have Eitr which I have used with my PC and another DAC and set of powered speakers on my desktop setup.

With Saga right now I am going between the stock tubes and a new stock Tung-sol tube, both of which I find fairly similar sounding. The soundstage gets a bit larger with the tube buffer engaged, but can also be ever so slightly strident. Looking for something with a very slight mellow sound on the top end. Unfortunately not sure where to find NOS 6SN7 in Canada that won't cost me a fortune...just have to keep a close eye out on the used market I suppose, which I have been for some time.

I have compared most of my Schiit gear to other gear I have purchased on the used market over the last couple years, but really haven't found anything that has beat any of the Schiit components I own, including many that would have cost significantly more new. They really are an incredible value.

Next purchase I am considering is Freya, in order to go balanced from Gumby, to see if it makes much of a difference and to possibly add some "tube bloom" - however then I'll be into trying to find 4x as many tubes!

Welcome.

Many of us here in the south have found tubes for our amps and preamps at Upscale Audio here in Southern California. But I have no idea if purchasing from them would be cost effective for Canadians.

Good luck in your search.

Sep 25, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #38 of 972

Check out the Saga Tube Rolling Thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-saga-tube-rolling.826632/

You'll find impressions of many different 6SN7 tubes and some ideas as to where you might source them.

EDIT: I have quite a few posted myself, but I'm way over due for an update. Just need to find the time to take some photos!

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #40 of 972

Your setup sounds pretty identical to my ideal, with the exception that I am using Kef LS50s for speakers. Currently I'm running these from an RPi with Hifiberry Digi+ Coax into a Bimby into a Cambridge Audio CXA60 integrated amp. I was intending for the first upgrade of this chain to be to moving to a Vidar fed by a Freya, but have recently been debating this. I'm not terribly keen on falling down the tube wormhole, so thought a Saga might be the safer option. However, as I am quite enjoying my current setup I've begun to think that moving up to the Gumby might be the better step to start with, although budget is a consideration, and I too am Canadian, so feel the pinch of our weak dollar. Realistically the first move I'll be able to afford to make at this point will be to self install the Gen 5 USB on my Bimby. I'll be interested to hear your impressions of the Freya vs the Saga if you do go that route.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #41 of 972
Glad to have found this thread. I spent some years in the head phone world and had some great cans but always missed a quality two channel setup as I had been entrenched in quality two channel stuff since the mid 70's. Thanks to my wife overlooking my indulgences, its great to be back in two channel world. Currently running MHDT Pagoda > Freya > 2 Vidar's > Salk Song-3's.
I may get a gumby eventually (had one previously) to run balanced but am thrilled at the time with what I have. Good NOS tubes for the Freya do make a difference. It was a little frustrating getting quality tubes as I went through some noisy pairs but have finally nailed it. Currently running 1955 CBS Hytrons in the gain stage and Sylvania VT231's in output stage.

Sep 25, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #42 of 972
Your setup sounds pretty identical to my ideal, with the exception that I am using Kef LS50s for speakers. Currently I'm running these from an RPi with Hifiberry Digi+ Coax into a Bimby into a Cambridge Audio SR60 integrated amp. I was intending for the first upgrade of this chain to be to moving to a Vidar fed by a Freya, but have recently been debating this. I'm not terribly keen on falling down the tube wormhole, so thought a Saga might be the safer option. However, as I am quite enjoying my current setup I've begun to think that moving up to the Gumby might be the better step to start with, although budget is a consideration, and I too am Canadian, so feel the pinch of our weak dollar. Realistically the first move I'll be able to afford to make at this point will be to self install the Gen 5 USB on my Bimby. I'll be interested to hear your impressions of the Freya vs the Saga if you do go that route.

I had the Kef LS50 but couldn't hack em...the treble unfortunately for me was too strident and metallic sounding. I really wanted to like them but just couldn't. I think the Gen 5 upgrade for Bimby would be a good one - what would you feed it with? Does the Digi+ have Usb out as well?

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #43 of 972
I had the Kef LS50 but couldn't hack em...the treble unfortunately for me was too strident and metallic sounding. I really wanted to like them but just couldn't. I think the Gen 5 upgrade for Bimby would be a good one - what would you feed it with? Does the Digi+ have Usb out as well?
The Digi+ outputs Toslink or Coax, but I could use the USB out of the RPi, which would make the Digi+ redundant. My intention is to use the USB out of the Windows based mini pc I'm using as a music server.

The Gen 5 should hopefully tide me over until I can spring for a Gumby...

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #44 of 972
Something strange since I have my new ATC SCM11 speakers: naturally, I was attracted by the new situation, listened only to the speakers, also I wanted to have them settled as quickly as possible. The sound of the speakers developed nicely, from a bit flat and edgy to smooth and punchy in the bass region. Essentially, I never touched my headphones during the last few months.

Just a few days ago, felt the need to listen to my HD800s again. Ouch, was it a disappointment! The headphones sounded way too bright, and all of a sudden, I realised what many say about the HD800s, namely sounding too bright. I just couldn't listen to them any more. Not t speak about the T90s I have, even worse! On the other hand, the Grado GH 1 were smooth enough to listen to, although I missed the airiness of the speaker sound.

So is this the end of my headphone era? No, I am not so far yet. I'll try again, but I already know that I'll miss the floating and airy speaker sound!

Welcome Joe, Mike, and other newcomers. I must admit I too have spent more time listening to my speakers then headphones recently. But, each has it's place.

I am an aging "Veteran Cosmic Rocker" and I will admit my first set of cans was a pair of Senn 414s. I go back and forth. It's nice to have the option to choose cans or speakers.

Years ago , when I was still a young pup, I asked Paul Klipsch the secret to great two channel reproduction. He had a two word answer. "Multiple transducers". I've taken that to heart, and now have a system that includes KEF LS50s, two Warfedale center channel speakers used as a stereo pair, a small set of Fostex back loaded horn speakers, and Emotiva Airmotive 5 powered monitors. All gloriously playing together through Parasound and Prima Luna amplifiers, driven by a Schiit Gumby and Schiit Freya.

I have A Schiit Mani for vinyl. and anxiously await the Schiit turntable release.

On the headphone side, I have a half dozen or so headphones that I select based on music genre. I have reduced my headphone amps down to a Schiit Valhalla, a Schiit Jotunheim and a Dark Voice 336SE.

Welcome to all. Lets talk audio !!!

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #45 of 972

I'm glad to have another Schiit forum to populate. When I started thinking about moving back into higher class audio gear a couple of years ago it was because headphones and their supporting cast were buck for buck better than I could imagine. While I spent some time oo-ing and aw-ing over the beauty of tubes from a lot of companies I became intrigued by this one fairly new company that seemed to be doing things with a clear mission and strategy. With all the decisions and possibilities this hobby invites I decided to use a personal strategy to limit the emotional and mental stimulation such a field can induce.

I decided, if at all possible, to honor my historical affinity for Sennheiser and to take a shot at purchasing from just one manufacturer: Schiit. Within those parameters I've enjoyed the hobby and enlarged my listening habits many times over. I've effectively retired my Yamaha multichannel system and the various Klipsch and JBL speakers I've had for many years. As I've mentioned earlier in this thread I've added Emotiva Airmotiv T2 towers within hours of their release which coincided with Schiit's Vidar amp. I get such surprise and delight almost daily from that combo fed through the pre-outs of the Mjolnir 2 and my Gumby (Gen 5). I can't imagine I listen as critically as many on these forums however I know I'm getting better sound since I've isolated my system via the microRendu. When Schiit accepted my fairly new Gumby Gen 2 back for exchange to the Gen 5 on their nickel my decision to carve out a hobby from a single stand of old growth timber was once again affirmed. How many companies do that these days and also deliver on their promises for upgrades and improvements?

My final tip of the hat goes to myself for discovering and believing in Roon early in their appearance. By purchasing a lifetime subscription almost two years ago I'm well on my way to a future that seems to be improving routinely. For instance, with the Tidal add-on, I recently was able to hear about the Complete RCA recording of Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony from several over on Baldr forum. One quick search via Roon and it is in my library. It will take months for me to listen and compare all those recordings to my previous collections and preferences but that's what has opened up for me here. Thanks to all involved!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back