Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse
Apr 26, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #16 of 972
Well, my Gumby arrived late yesterday and has been on about 24 hours. Sounding glorious. The $1000.00 I saved over the Yggy went towards a Parasound Halo A23 amplifier which will arrive on Friday.

No regrets.:ksc75smile:

Apr 27, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #17 of 972
Well, my Gumby arrived late yesterday and has been on about 24 hours. Sounding glorious. The $1000.00 I saved over the Yggy went towards a Parasound Halo A23 amplifier which will arrive on Friday.

No regrets.:ksc75smile:

After seeing you ordering a Parasound Halo A23, I got truly interested in Parasound. But I made up my mind against Parasound.

What I like about the Ragnarok is that it is a truly balanced design. Coming off the balanced Headamp GSX-Mk2 pre amp requires a downstream balanced component. That seems to be guaranteed with the Ragnarok.

Just saw this MASSIVE balanced Master-3 power amp of Audio-gd (http://audio-gd.com/Master/Master-32015/Master-32015EN.htm). Almost frightful, but interesting!

Apr 27, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #18 of 972
The Ragnarok made my world expensive quite fast... I needed a new speaker amp for some old Kirksaeter Prisma 60 speakers.

Got a 50hour used Black Ragnarok quite cheap and pulled the trigger since it was only slightly more expensive than what i was planning on spending on a speaker amp any way.
Then I had to upgrade my speakers since the ragnarok revealed some flaws in the prisma 60's. Went for the LS50's after auditioning them(holy smokes those speakers do double bass great!)
started positioning the speakers and found the LS50's needed speakers stands more so than my old speakers.
Then at times i could hear a small popping crackle sound. turns out it happened just as my fridges compressor was turning off. had to buy a hifi powerbar to get rid of the sound(tried to put ferite cores at the source but with no luck..).

Since I now had a balanced amp I felt i needed a balanced head phone cable and a balanced DAC to fully use my balanced amp. After lurking on forums for sometime I wanted to go for the Gumby. Problem was everyone kept saying "Gumby is great but the yggy is just more" so I went for the Yggy..

So yeah, Ragnarok made me buy:
LS50's
Yggdrasil
Balanced headphone cable
Solid speakerstand
T+A powerbar

The problem I have now is that the LS50's make my HE-400i headphones sound like crap.. xD

Apr 27, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #19 of 972
Trerit: I feel your pain. As I mentioned above I got the Gumby and spent the money I "saved" over the Yggy on a Parasound A23. I'll be driving a pair of KEF LS50s as well. Aren't they great sounding speakers??

I'm waiting on a Schiit Freya, which I'm told is still a couple of weeks out.

I also wanted to try an all tube system so I got a PrimaLuna Prologue Five amplifier.

Schiit gets expensive fast.:dt880smile:

Apr 27, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #20 of 972
Schiit gets expensive fast.:dt880smile:

Heck, I think it would inexpensive at twice the price when you try to match the quality to other products out there.

May 26, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #22 of 972
So, now that the Freya is again shipping I thought I would provide an update.

I received my Freya and am using it to control the output of a Schiit Gumby, Schiit Mani, Sony CD/DVD player, and the audio from my small screen TV.

I'm driving a pair of Parasound A23s in monoblock mode, into a pair of KEF LS50s.

Further, I'm also driving a pair of PrimaLuna Prologue Five amplifiers in dual-mono mode, into a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10 CS and a pair of Fostex P1000-DH / FE103En, back-loaded horn speakers.

I've split the balanced output of the Freya, to drive the Parasound amps, as well as provide input to a pair of Emotiva Airmotiv 5s.

I can use any / or all, of the above speaker pairs. Providing me as many as eight transducers on each channel. All this for my 10' x 10' man cave.

I also have a small Panasonic, powered sub woofer driven by one of the Freya outputs.

I think this will satisfy me, for now.

May 26, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #23 of 972
My Freya arrives on Tuesday. I am still waiting on Vidar (x 2 for dual mono). I am leaning toward buying a pair of Salk Song3-A speakers. Hs anyone here listened to those speakers?

Jul 31, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #24 of 972
So, the Vidar is available, Must have arrived in many homes in the meantime. Any infos on its performance, particularly using two as monoblocks?

Aug 1, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #26 of 972
Ordered Freya and two Vidars on the 20th..still haven't shipped :/

ONCE you receive them: how do connect the speakers to wach mono block? I was reading the manual for the Vidar and it says to use only the upper binding posts for mono operation. Does it mean that one connects the two wires of say, the left speaker, to the upper binding posts of one Vidar and the right speaker to the upper binding posts of the other Vidar? Naturally, going into the XLRs into both amps.

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #28 of 972
So I've been waiting around for some impressions and holding off on mine until my Gumby is Gen 5ved up. They exchanged places via fed ex but everything will be back in place Friday evening. I've used the Bimby with my Mjolnir 2 but I notice the difference. Ha. I've also noticed that even with this less-than setup my single Vidar running the Emotiva Airmotiv T2s is giving my headphones a long rest. Flac files and Tidal through a microRendu Roon endpoint to the Bimby and the M2 preout provide a great soundstage and enough bottom that my sub isn't going to be used.

More to come...

Sep 24, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #29 of 972
I'm another fan of speaker based hifi, and currently have Mani running into Saga, along with a SYS, which I'm using as a switch box between Mani and Saga, switching between stereo and mono cables for playback of both mono records as well as these new fangled stereo discs.

Saga is an absolute bargain, and I feel like I'm hearing my music collection anew. It's currently driving a vintage Crimson 520 power amp into a pair of equally vintage B&W DM2-s2.

Next purchase will be a Vidar when funds allow.

Sep 24, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #30 of 972
Mr Rick, just discovered your forum from your post on another Schiit forum. I'm a total 2-channel guy. My Schiit rig is on my desk-top. I'm running Ragnarok-Yggdrasil with KEF LS-50 the last 6-8 months and just love it. My LCD-x just sits with very little use. I feel I get a more realistic sound through two channel. Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back