Schiit Two Channel Clubhouse
Jan 4, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #227 of 972
I have all sorts of components planned, but as far as speakers go, I want the Tekton PMD Studio Monitor and Tekton Ulfberht. That was already covered earlier in the thread, though.
Those are quite large and heavy and expensive speakers! The Ulfbeht I mean... you know, at that price level, you've got so many options. Do you have any plans for amplification, line level stage, and digital or analog source? I've read that because Tekton speakers are so sensitive, they pair well with them tubes... also If you do go digital you should get a Yggdrasil in keeping with Topic of the thread :p or perhaps the Sol will be out later this year... either way gotta have schiit somewhere eh? :p

Ps. I'm getting rid of my Yggdrasil as soon as I find a suitable replacement and/or I finish the rest of my setup to focus on analog source (record player!) I don't imagine finishing even this year tho so ill still have my yggy for the foreseeable future :) so when were you planning on getting those puppies anyway? I'm hoping to have my new loudspeakers in a few months... I'm looking at JBL 4367 but they're kind of expensive so saving for them is a bit of a grind ><

Jan 4, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #228 of 972
I have all sorts of components planned, but as far as speakers go, I want the Tekton PMD Studio Monitor and Tekton Ulfberht. That was already covered earlier in the thread, though.
Another set in my price range to compare to the RP280 and T2. Every post I see may lead me to another manufacturer's site and more indecision. Unfortunately there's no dealer that has all these to compare together in person, and reviews are pretty hard to compare
http://www.tektondesign.com/lore.html

Jan 4, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #229 of 972
Those are quite large and heavy and expensive speakers! The Ulfbeht I mean... you know, at that price level, you've got so many options. Do you have any plans for amplification, line level stage, and digital or analog source?

Well, the monitors are much smaller, lighter, and cheaper.

I would only get five figure speakers a bit later in life when I'm much more financially stable, have my own house that I can build a dedicated listening room in, etc. (I live in a large house at the moment, but it's my brother's and he plans on selling it.)

I've already done my research. More than a few Tekton owners and reviewers insist that they outperform speakers many times the price (sometimes ten times or more), and these are on an even higher level. Here is a review. Another owner is a Head-Fi member and said, like the reviewer who bought his own pair, that it is the best speaker he's heard, even compared to much more expensive ones. The fact that the designer claims they're the most acoustically advanced and best-sounding loudspeakers ever made is also a plus for me even if it's just marketing. Oh, and a fairly prestigious music studio mentioned that they're getting better sound from those monitors than ones they used before that cost many times more.

Since we're in a Schiit thread, this might arouse controversy...but as a Chord fanboy (owned the 2Qute and Mojo and am fascinated by the groundbreaking technology Rob Watts has developed), I am interested in the Hugo 2, DAVE, Blu MkII, and one of their upcoming digital power amps. I would probably use my current power amp in the meantime. Chord DAC/amps can also be used as digital preamps and can even drive sensitive passive speakers directly via the right cable. (The simplest solution for that is bare speaker wire with RCA adapters.) The amplification is in the DAC's analog output stage and is cleaner than even the line outs of conventional DACs, providing the highest degree of accuracy and transparency as long as the transducer is sensitive enough that it doesn't need a stronger amp. I'd have to try it out myself and compare to other amps to see how I feel, but I know that many who already experimented with this strongly favor the direct-from-Chord approach. The digital power amps I mentioned are supposedly going to be just as accurate, but with a lot more power.

I use high-end software (Windows Server 2016 Standard & AudiophileOptimizer) to improve the sound of my laptop (yes, it really works despite being bit-perfect; ignore the naysayers), but I would eventually like to get into audiophile network players and music servers.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #230 of 972
Well, the monitors are much smaller, lighter, and cheaper.

I would only get five figure speakers a bit later in life when I'm much more financially stable, have my own house that I can build a dedicated listening room in, etc. (I live in a large house at the moment, but it's my brother's and he plans on selling it.)

I've already done my research. More than a few Tekton owners and reviewers insist that they outperform speakers many times the price (sometimes ten times or more), and these are on an even higher level. Here is a review. Another owner is a Head-Fi member and said, like the reviewer who bought his own pair, that it is the best speaker he's heard, even compared to much more expensive ones. The fact that the designer claims they're the most acoustically advanced and best-sounding loudspeakers ever made is also a plus for me even if it's just marketing. Oh, and a fairly prestigious music studio mentioned that they're getting better sound from those monitors than ones they used before that cost many times more.

Since we're in a Schiit thread, this might arouse controversy...but as a Chord fanboy (owned the 2Qute and Mojo and am fascinated by the groundbreaking technology Rob Watts has developed), I am interested in the Hugo 2, DAVE, Blu MkII, and one of their upcoming digital power amps. I would probably use my current power amp in the meantime. Chord DAC/amps can also be used as digital preamps and can even drive sensitive passive speakers directly via the right cable. (The simplest solution for that is bare speaker wire with RCA adapters.) The amplification is in the DAC's analog output stage and is cleaner than even the line outs of conventional DACs, providing the highest degree of accuracy and transparency as long as the transducer is sensitive enough that it doesn't need a stronger amp. I'd have to try it out myself and compare to other amps to see how I feel, but I know that many who already experimented with this strongly favor the direct-from-Chord approach. The digital power amps I mentioned are supposedly going to be just as accurate, but with a lot more power.

I use high-end software (Windows Server 2016 Standard & AudiophileOptimizer) to improve the sound of my laptop (yes, it really works despite being bit-perfect; ignore the naysayers), but I would eventually like to get into audiophile network players and music servers.
All types are welcome here, even Chord lovers :deadhorse:

Have you ever listened to Schiit DACs to compare with the Chords? I have the Mojo but faaaaaar prefer my Gumby.

Those Tekton Impact Monitors look pretty cool, although still pretty big for me. Their other speakers are just way too large for my room or taste.

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #231 of 972
Have you ever listened to Schiit DACs to compare with the Chords? I have the Mojo but faaaaaar prefer my Gumby.

I posted here before about how I owned the Modi Multibit, Modi 2, Fulla 2, and Fulla as far as Schiit DACs go.

So we both have owned higher-end and lower-end products by either company, except the other way around. hehe

The 2Qute originally sold for $1,795 in the US and, unsurprisingly, sounds a lot better than the Modi Multibit. Can't comment on the Schiit DACs I haven't heard.

I am also curious about the Audio-gd R2R 7. (Which seems to be even better than the Yggdrasil and Holo Spring DAC Level 3, based on online impressions.) My friend owns it and may let me borrow it in the future. But since I want high fidelity, I primarily focus on objective measured technical performance, which Chord excel in and outperform all other DACs (including ones that cost six figures) in many areas. (Don't want to go into detail because then the fanboyism on my part will become a bit much.)

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #232 of 972
I have the Double Impact speakers with the $300 upgrade (detailed on the Tekton website). They are large speakers to be sure. But, when playing music, they disappear!

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #234 of 972
Fun fact: Your signature is what prompted me to look into Tekton. (I may have mentioned this before, but can't recall.)

That's good! They are great speakers and I am very happy with them. The company can be a bit of a pain to deal with as they are getting a lot of business and are having issues providing quality customer service. They are trying!

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #236 of 972
There are so many speaker brands/models and so little time....

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #237 of 972
Owner of Klipsch RP-250F and RF 52 ii here. Great speakers for the price. If you're considering the Tekton price range, you may want to look at Ascend Acoustics too. I'm using the Ascend Acoustics Sierra RAAL Towers in my main listening room now (replaced the RP-250Fs). Major upgrade.

Jan 8, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #238 of 972
8A1FD1C5-570A-4945-8D54-B6F3339179D8.jpeg
On the subs I'm looking at, many only have a line in, not out. The ones with speaker level in/out would appear to enable the crossover not to pass the low frequencies on to the passive speakers. Can you give an example of a sub that has line level in/out?

Thanks!

Dana
Hi Dana, use 3 rca splitters. That is what i did in the kitchen.
Chromecast out->left to splitter1, right to splitter2. Then out of these splitters: 1left+1right go to splitter3 and 2left goes to powered speaker/amp and the same for 2right. Works well and cheap just make sure the sub has correct volume usually as low as possible works best

Jan 8, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #239 of 972
On the subs I'm looking at, many only have a line in, not out. The ones with speaker level in/out would appear to enable the crossover not to pass the low frequencies on to the passive speakers. Can you give an example of a sub that has line level in/out?

An example is an SVS SB-1000: https://www.svsound.com/products/sb-1000

Jan 8, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #240 of 972
Speaking of speakers, I'm wondering how, or if, you folks integrate your two-channel and surround systems. If you have both.

Did you configure two separate systems, or did you find a good balance of speakers and amps? What worked and what didn't?

If the systems are combined, are you using HT bypass on your 2-channel amp, or analog bypass through your surround processor?

Thanks in advance for your experience and opinions.
I have a Marantz SR6006 AVR. It feeds it's front LR channel pre outs into one set of inputs to high quality stereo switch box that outputs to an NAD C275BEE two channel power amp. The NAD amp powers my PSB Imagine T2's, The rear and center channel outputs of the AVR feed a pair of PSB Imagine Mini rear speakers and a PSB Imagine Mini center channel speaker. The sub out goes to my JBL 12" sub. This makes great movie sounds and with high quality surround music mixes, sound's fantastic. Movie and surround music comes from my Yamaha BD A1010 universal disk player. The Marantz is also connected to wired ethernet for streaming. For stereo only listening, I have my Saga connected to the other side of that switchbox. I push one button and the Saga is now driving my NAD amp and T2's. Connected to the Saga are the analog outs of the BD A1010, my Modi Multibit, and my VPI Scout/ Ortofon Rondo Blue/ SimAudio Moon 110LP, Connected to the Moby are my IdPi server/renderer and a Chromecast audio (for Pandora) When listening via the Saga the sub is off. My T2's go low enough that it isn't needed. It is pretty amazing how much punch three 5 1/4" woofers put out. When I decided to go surround, I listened to the Marantz's pre-outs driving my NAD for a few weeks and sold my previous two channel preamp. I thought the Marantz was as good or better and the old tubed one always had a tiny bit of hum. I bought the Saga because it is small, simple, and cheap so I decided to try one. I think the Saga is a smidge cleaner and more resolved but frankly I am not at all sure that I could distinguish between them reliably if I was blindfolded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back