Schiit SYS Passive Preamp
Feb 26, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #91 of 231
popcorn.gif

Feb 26, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #92 of 231
Mr. Rick, you're right.  The point I was trying to make is that the active gear I have filters out quite a bit and that I prefer the sound made by my source components, since the SYS seems to be acting as a straight conduit for the signal.  I wasn't trying to imply that the SYS was affecting the sound - just the opposite, actually.

Mar 2, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #93 of 231
Yep, just a pot and a switch.   The weight is good so the preamp doesn't move with the cable weight.   I hooked mine up to my vintage mono McLaren amps from New Zealand, and to my iPhone.   Sounds like nothing, since it is nothing.  Very clean, no personality added.  For the price, I just wished it was bigger.   The volume knob is only a half inch in diameter.

Mar 2, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #94 of 231
It is shockingly small next to my other components - makes me want to buy more - perhaps a marketing strategy.  :wink:

Next up for me:  Mani, Modi 2 Uber = easy experiments with upgrading my phono section and creating a central hub for digital music from my Mac and CD player.

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #95 of 231
I use this cute boy to switch between two inputs: laptop/MF V-DAC or AK120. Output goes to a power amp/bookshelfs. I use MF V-CANS (headphone amp) between AK120 and SYS for HD650. 

Very satisfied with the setup.  As others pointed out, SYS doesn't have any impact on the sound. But it enables me to switch between inputs and control the volume. 

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #97 of 231
Update on my SYS.  Liking the transparency.  A comment on the pot...  I definitely have to get it to 8:30 or 9 o'clock to get the balance right, so the comments about the teeny pot not being balanced at the lowest volumes are true for my SYS.  Sharing in case someone who likes to listen at very low volumes is curious; you may find you have to turn it up a little past your volume to get the image centered.

Mar 24, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #98 of 231
  Update on my SYS.  Liking the transparency.  A comment on the pot...  I definitely have to get it to 8:30 or 9 o'clock to get the balance right, so the comments about the teeny pot not being balanced at the lowest volumes is true for my SYS.  Sharing in case someone who likes to listen at very low volumes is curious; you may find you have to turn it up a little past your volume to get the image centered.

So wait, it has a problem of being unbalanced between the two channels at low volumes?! IT HAS ONE SIMPLE TASK TO DO as its just a potentiometer and a couple switches in a fancy box and it cant even do that function perfectly?! WHY are people buying this thing again?!

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #99 of 231
It balances out around 8:30, so not very much above zero volume.  My listening level is just probably lower than most other people's, so I play with that potentiometer to get it as low as possible with balance.  I can get a reasonably low level, so it hasn't bothered me much.  It does a great job in every other regard, so for me, who isn't handy with a soldering iron, it's $50 well spent.

Mar 24, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #100 of 231
  It balances out around 8:30, so not very much above zero volume.  My listening level is just probably lower than most other people's, so I play with that potentiometer to get it as low as possible with balance.  I can get a reasonably low level, so it hasn't bothered me much.  It does a great job in every other regard, so for me, who isn't handy with a soldering iron, it's $50 well spent.

I hear ya, and while Ill agree 8:30 is pretty low usually depending on the source, I would still find it very frustrating that some box with such a simple function and slightly overpriced price tag couldnt do what it needs to do absolutely perfectly. But maybe thats just me.

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #101 of 231

I hear ya, and while Ill agree 8:30 is pretty low usually depending on the source, I would still find it very frustrating that some box with such a simple function and slightly overpriced price tag couldnt do what it needs to do absolutely perfectly. But maybe thats just me.

Come on! Is it really overpriced for such finish and package? Visit this link - http://www.tortugaaudio.com/product/ldrx-passive-preamp/ See the price tag, tell me what is your impression now? Also please search ebay for passive preamp, see the prices. Apparently the price of Sys seems to be reasonable enough compared to most.

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #102 of 231
  Come on! Is it really overpriced for such finish and package? Visit this link - http://www.tortugaaudio.com/product/ldrx-passive-preamp/ See the price tag, tell me what is your impression now? Also please search ebay for passive preamp, see the prices. Apparently the price of Sys seems to be reasonable enough compared to most.

Ha, comparing it to silly/stupidly overpriced, snake oil audiophool products doesnt change the fact. Everything is relative. But, if its worth it for you, have at it. I was just saying it should have ZERO issues and perform flawlessly. But thats just for MY money I guess.

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #103 of 231
"ZERO issues and perform flawlessly" your expectations are nothing especial, these are quite general terms upon which we buy any kind of product. I also expect Schiit must take care those issues at best possible way within that price bracket. But perfection is an elusive term, it just make us keep trying. 

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #104 of 231
All over the place, Jason of Schiit has stated that it's hard to make a teeny tiny potentiometer balance below about 8AM, so I knew what I was getting into.  I don't see how I could make a better, more attractive piece of audio hardware for less than what I paid for the SYS.  I'm happy.  It's very good in every other way.

Jun 14, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #105 of 231
Does it hurt the audio quality in anyway to lower the volume on the Sys and then plug it into the Magni to get more usable volume? (measurably, doesn't have to be heard)
Since the pots they use aren't very good below 9 o'clock I set my Sys to 3 o'clock so I can have more room to play with the Magni's volume.  It's quite bad using the magni with DACs with higher than the Modi's 1.5vrms output.  Using the Dragonfly 1.2 and it's output is quite hefty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back