Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Apr 10, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #1,246 of 2,034
I have a question:
Why does the Ragnarok not seem as popular or highly regarded as it once was?
Was it a FOTM?
The reason I am asking is because when you go to the Schiit website, some of the reviews of the Ragnarok have been removed when you go to click on them, especially the one from a site, and an individual there that I will not name here.
Tyll Hertsens or John Atkinson also didn't seem overly impressed with it.
I have also noticed there isn't as much discussion of it anymore, here or on other websites.
Plus, I have seen alot for sale over the last few months here and elsewhere.
What gives?
Is there something I should know before buying another one?
Thanks.

Maybe the people who have it are busy listening to it...
Personally, I think its the most boring archetype of an amp (high end solid state/one size fits all, low end ss generates more hype), also many people believe there are better option for cheaper (newer tube amps, rolling for days). Not a lot of people on Head-fi really care about the fact that the Rag is the swiss army knife of amps since it pretty much all headphones here. 

Plus people need rave reviews to buy pretty much anything, and the Rag doesn't really have any

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #1,247 of 2,034

I have a question:
Why does the Ragnarok not seem as popular or highly regarded as it once was?
Was it a FOTM?
The reason I am asking is because when you go to the Schiit website, some of the reviews of the Ragnarok have been removed when you go to click on them, especially the one from a site, and an individual there that I will not name here.
Tyll Hertsens or John Atkinson also didn't seem overly impressed with it.
I have also noticed there isn't as much discussion of it anymore, here or on other websites.
Plus, I have seen alot for sale over the last few months here and elsewhere.
What gives?
Is there something I should know before buying another one?
Thanks.

Maybe the people who have it are busy listening to it...
Personally, I think its the most boring archetype of an amp (high end solid state/one size fits all, low end ss generates more hype), also many people believe there are better option for cheaper (newer tube amps, rolling for days). Not a lot of people on Head-fi really care about the fact that the Rag is the swiss army knife of amps since it pretty much all headphones here. 

Plus people need rave reviews to buy pretty much anything, and the Rag doesn't really have any

I've been busy listening to mine, it sounds awesome. I use it strictly with speakers, originally with stand-mounted monitors + subs, now it's driving a pair of floor standing B & W's with a Freya preamp, and it sounds excellent in both applications. I will be replacing the Rag with Vidar's since the larger B & W's require more power.

As for Mr. Atkinson, he laid bare his biases and other nonsense recently, and his word is not worth the electrons required to manifest it on a computer screen.

PS- If you want another Rag, wait until Vidar is released and you'll be able to a get a well-loved one at a good price.

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #1,248 of 2,034

I've been busy listening to mine, it sounds awesome. I use it strictly with speakers, originally with stand-mounted monitors + subs, now it's driving a pair of floor standing B & W's with a Freya preamp, and it sounds excellent in both applications. I will be replacing the Rag with Vidar's since the larger B & W's require more power.

As for Mr. Atkinson, he laid bare his biases and other nonsense recently, and his word is not worth the electrons required to manifest it on a computer screen.

PS- If you want another Rag, wait until Vidar is released and you'll be able to a get a well-loved one at a good price.

Good to know that the Ragnarok stands its ground!

I am, too, very much interested in the Vidars! I got a mail from Schiit saying that the target is the month of May. If that is so, we'd soon have it. I'd be truly interested of how the Vidars sound with your set-up, particularly in comparison to the Rag! 

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #1,249 of 2,034
I'd be truly interested of how the Vidars sound with your set-up, particularly in comparison to the Rag! 

I cannot wait until I can offer the review. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 11, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #1,250 of 2,034

I also have a Yggy/Rag setup into 2-channel. I'm curious as to why you're using a Freya as a preamp into the Rag?

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #1,251 of 2,034

I also have a Yggy/Rag setup into 2-channel. I'm curious as to why you're using a Freya as a preamp into the Rag?

I heard the Freya and Vidar's last October at RMAF, and want them both. Due to the necessity of Jason getting Vidar just exactly perfect, I took the intermediate step of getting a Freya. It's working for now, and Vidar will be ready hopefully in May, which is my birthday month, and as a Gemini I need twin Vidar's. It's a roundabout route the mind takes to justify it's reality.

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #1,253 of 2,034
Yes am curious as well why a preamp is required for pairing with the Rag?

Looks like the Rag is transitional for "US Blues" - he's using it as a "power amp" while he waits for the Vidar, and will sell the Rag when that happens.

I expect to use my Rag as a preamp into the Vidar for two-channel, as I could use a bit more power.

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #1,254 of 2,034
  Looks like the Rag is transitional for "US Blues" - he's using it as a "power amp" while he waits for the Vidar, and will sell the Rag when that happens.

I expect to use my Rag as a preamp into the Vidar for two-channel, as I could use a bit more power.

I'm still torn between the Rag or two Vidar.  Might have to try them both.

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #1,255 of 2,034

I'm still torn between the Rag or two Vidar.  Might have to try them both.

​if you are only driving power hungry speakers, my choice would be a pair of Vidar's  with Freya handling the preamp duties and also allowing a few other devices in the chain. that is if you are locking into Schiit Audio (which I am guilty of too, but in a good way)

Rag will drive speakers, but dedicated monoblocks should outperform Rag in a 2 channel speaker setup with power hungry speakers. 

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #1,256 of 2,034

Yes am curious as well why a preamp is required for pairing with the Rag?

Yes, the Rag is an interim piece. The Vidar's were originally slated for 1Q 2017, but out of necessity have been pushed back. That's not a problem, and my neighbors are likely happy that I have not yet received my 400 watt monoblocks. 
rolleyes.gif

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #1,257 of 2,034

​if you are only driving power hungry speakers, my choice would be a pair of Vidar's  with Freya handling the preamp duties and also allowing a few other devices in the chain. that is if you are locking into Schiit Audio (which I am guilty of too, but in a good way)

Rag will drive speakers, but dedicated monoblocks should outperform Rag in a 2 channel speaker setup with power hungry speakers. 

Just got a pair of LS50s after listening to them at The Schiitr driven by a Saga-Vidar, out of the Yiggy.  But, I want to put together two systems. I just haven't decided on the speakers yet.

Apr 12, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #1,258 of 2,034

Just got a pair of LS50s after listening to them at The Schiitr driven by a Saga-Vidar, out of the Yiggy.  But, I want to put together two systems. I just haven't decided on the speakers yet.

​I am running an Yggy Rag combo in a 2 channel near field environment and I never go past the second gain stage while pushing my 6 ohm Wharfedale Denton's. Generally volume knob at 3-4 o'clock in gain 2 and that is plenty loud in my 20x20 listening room (and distortion free). I doubt the Kef's need a pair of 400 watt monoblocks (unless you are looking to send them into orbit, they only need 25 - 100 watts). now if you have a pair of Bowers & Wilkins - CM10 S2, they go up to 300 watts peak and would make better use of all that grunt that Vidar would supply.

then again I am just reading numbers off a page and have no evidence other than the spec sheets for the basis of my thoughts

Apr 12, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #1,259 of 2,034

​I am running an Yggy Rag combo in a 2 channel near field environment and I never go past the second gain stage while pushing my 6 ohm Wharfedale Denton's. Generally volume knob at 3-4 o'clock in gain 2 and that is plenty loud in my 20x20 listening room (and distortion free). I doubt the Kef's need a pair of 400 watt monoblocks (unless you are looking to send them into orbit, they only need 25 - 100 watts). now if you have a pair of Bowers & Wilkins - CM10 S2, they go up to 300 watts peak and would make better use of all that grunt that Vidar would supply.

then again I am just reading numbers off a page and have no evidence other than the spec sheets for the basis of my thoughts

My man-cave is only 10 X 10 , but I was thinking of the Vidar pair for a second system, in a larger room. I haven't decided on the speakers for that room yet. But if it's something efficient, then one Vidar would suffice.

Apr 12, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #1,260 of 2,034

A friend of mine drives his LS 50's with a McIntosh MC 252 power amp (250 watts per channel). Those little babies sound right good with some serious grunt behind them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back