Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Apr 14, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #1,261 of 2,023

Just got a pair of LS50s after listening to them at The Schiitr driven by a Saga-Vidar, out of the Yiggy.  But, I want to put together two systems. I just haven't decided on the speakers yet.

And how did the Vidars sound? The LS50s are quite a load for any amp! Does anyone have news regarding the release date of the Vidar?

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #1,262 of 2,023
Hi All,

I joined this discussion at last message and my question it may be answered (if so, please point me to the right thread).
Do you think it's worth to replace my current integrated amp Marantz PM-17 KI Signature by Ragnarok?
I am looking for a good headphone & speakers amp for living room.

It is pairing with
  1. Schiit Modi 2 Multibit (Mimby) decoding Tidal and FLAC 24/96-192
  2. Speakers Chario Constellation Lynx 4-ohm
  3. Headphone MrSpeakers Ether Flow
  4. Mainly Rock and Jazz

If worth, any other alternative to Ragnarok?

Thanks.

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #1,263 of 2,023
  And how did the Vidars sound? The LS50s are quite a load for any amp! Does anyone have news regarding the release date of the Vidar?

The Vidar drove the LS50s just fine. I plan to drive my LS50s with a 36 WPC tube amp as well. I'm sure there will be no problem as I have a small listening room.

The Vidar will be ready............when it's ready. I was told it's going along just fine, with no hold-ups currently.

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #1,264 of 2,023
  Hi All,

I joined this discussion at last message and my question it may be answered (if so, please point me to the right thread).
Do you think it's worth to replace my current integrated amp Marantz PM-17 KI Signature by Ragnarok?

It is pairing with
  1. Schiit Modi 2 Multibit (Mimby) decoding Tidal and FLAC 24/96-192
  2. Speakers Chario Constellation Lynx 4-ohm
  3. Headphone MrSpeakers Ether Flow
  4. Mainly Rock and Jazz

Thanks.

That is a difficult question to answer. Not being familiar with your speakers. 

I'm sure the Rag will be a good pairing with your Ether Flow.

Is there something that you find deficient in your PM-17??

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #1,265 of 2,023
Hi All,

It is pairing with
  • Schiit Modi 2 Multibit (Mimby) decoding Tidal and FLAC 24/96-192
  • Speakers Chario Constellation Lynx 4-ohm
  • Headphone MrSpeakers Ether Flow
  • Mainly Rock and Jazz

Thanks.

4 Ohm speakers, mightn't it a bit of a tough load for the Ragnarok? Maybe you'd have to look for a bit more juice, maybe one of those American tanks like the Odyssey Stratos amp? Check the link:
http://www.odysseyaudio.com/products-stratos-stereo.html

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #1,266 of 2,023
4 Ohm speakers, mightn't it a bit of a tough load for the Ragnarok? Maybe you'd have to look for a bit more juice, maybe one of those American tanks like the Odyssey Stratos amp? Check the link:
http://www.odysseyaudio.com/products-stratos-stereo.html

I ran 4 ohm speakers with a Rag and that is not a problem. The key question is: does the Rag have sufficient power for the sensitivity of speakers + size of the room + preferred listening volume of the owner. Rag is good for a small to mid-sized system in a smaller room, and does very well driving smaller speakers along with a powered subwoofer or two.

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #1,267 of 2,023
I ran 4 ohm speakers with a Rag and that is not a problem. The key question is: does the Rag have sufficient power for the sensitivity of speakers + size of the room + preferred listening volume of the owner. Rag is good for a small to mid-sized system in a smaller room, and does very well driving smaller speakers along with a powered subwoofer or two.

Good point, thanks for clarifying!

Apr 17, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #1,268 of 2,023

35 squared meters room
Chario Constellation Lynx - 4-ohm, 100W Max power, 89db sensivity, 2 ways (38mm tweeter & 130mm woofer)
Listening volume no more than 11 o'clock
Current Marantz PM17 KI Signature delivers 60W at 8-ohm, 100W at 4-ohm
Is Rag an alternative?

That is a difficult question to answer. Not being familiar with your speakers. 

I'm sure the Rag will be a good pairing with your Ether Flow.

Is there something that you find deficient in your PM-17??

Not sure some deficient but headphone output (section) is not as good as what I get from Chord Mojo, using same source, although I love how Marantz sounds with speakers.
Mojo is used in other rooms and when travelling. I know I can use as well in living room but I would like to re-use what I have in living room, for speakers and for headphone

Living Room Rig
Tidal HIFI or FLAC 24/96-192 -> Chromcast Audio -> Mimby -> Marantz PM17 KI Signature -> Chario Constellation Lynx or Ether Flow

Mobile Rig
Tidal HIFI or FLAC 24/96-192 -> Chromcast Audio or iOS/Cable -> Mojo -> Ether Flow

Any other detail needed?

Apr 17, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #1,269 of 2,023

35 squared meters room
Chario Constellation Lynx - 4-ohm, 100W Max power, 89db sensivity, 2 ways (38mm tweeter & 130mm woofer)
Listening volume no more than 11 o'clock
Current Marantz PM17 KI Signature delivers 60W at 8-ohm, 100W at 4-ohm
Is Rag an alternative?

The Ragnarok has the same rated power output as the Marantz, so it won't give you more sonic volume, yet due to the power output circuit (circlotron) it may provide greater sonic clarity. I found that Rag seemed, compared to the amp it replaced (Parasound A 21), to have a better "grip" on the speakers, along with improved clarity.

And the Ragnarok is said to be excellent with headphones, so it will serve double duty. I hope this is helpful.

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #1,270 of 2,023
Guys, 

I just bought and installed ragnarok. When I'm using volume knob - I'm getting crazy electrical sound. 

This is what I have
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZDEJOZW8FY&feature=youtu.be

Do you have the same 'behavior'?

thanks,
Dmitry

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #1,271 of 2,023
  Guys, 

I just bought and installed ragnarok. When I'm using volume knob - I'm getting crazy electrical sound. 

This is what I have

thanks,
Dmitry

Working exactly as it should. 

In your manual:

5 Volume. Turn it up to increase volume, turn it down before smoke comes out of your headphones or speakers. You’ll hear rapid clicking inside the Ragnarok when you use the volume control—this is the relayswitched attenuator. When you’re switching gains, it may be a good idea to turn the volume knob down, so you don’t blow up your headphones or speakers due to a sudden gain increase.

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #1,272 of 2,023
  Guys, 

This is what I have

thanks,
Dmitry

That's just the relay array that controls the volume.  I love the way it sounds.  If you go to the Schiit website and look at the circuit board for the Ragnarok, you can see the array on the right hand side of the board.  Audio-gd uses a similar setup on their amplifiers.  You can hear them clicking through the relays as you change the volume as well.

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #1,273 of 2,023
Mine is not 'clicking' like electrical bad noise. If it would be clicking or soft-clicking I would not be bothered. Mine is like somebody scratch the nails against school draw board. Very annoying. Not even close to being 'clicky'. Mine sounds more like a noise of lightning between two metal rods, sort of like this
https://youtu.be/MhgSKmKX_7w?t=20

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #1,274 of 2,023
  Mine is not 'clicking' like electrical bad noise. If it would be clicking or soft-clicking I would not be bothered. Mine is like somebody scratch the nails against school draw board. Very annoying. Not even close to being 'clicky'. Mine sounds more like a noise of lightning between two metal rods, sort of like this

Perfectly normal. You will have to like it....................or return it!!

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #1,275 of 2,023

That's what you're hearing.  When you spin the knob around like in your video, those relays are clicking on and off rapidly so of course it sounds louder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back