Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
May 19, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #1,292 of 1,980
Either that unit has a problem or those outlets do.
And since we are remote diagnosing this situation there could be other unknown factors as well.

In fact this is perhaps the second report of a hum issue, I've ever heard of, with any Schiit gear.

So it's rare indeed.

JJ

Jun 17, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #1,293 of 1,980
Is it safe to position the raggy and yggy in the upright position? buying a new 34" monitor and I'm running out of desk space. If i position my yggy/raggy upright I save so much space. I could create a 3D printed foot for them to make them stand more secure.
everything is in scale. the schiits are off by some millimeters as i just rushed them(didn't bother making an yggy as they have the same size..)
split amp.png stacked amp.png upright amp.PNG

Jun 17, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #1,294 of 1,980
The Jggy can be on its side with few to no 'issues'.
I'd suggest building a 'frame'/footers/rack of some sort to hold it up off the desk by 1-3 inches or so.
And keep this air space around the whole unit.

The Rok is another matter, however.

You do not want to block ANY vent holes and placing it in a vertical position the (now) 'bottom' vents need to be able to 'breathe'.
Thus that same 1-3 inches for the bottom vents should be considered.
But the 'stock' convection cooling scheme won't really apply because the 'normal' top vents won't be on top to 'draw' air thru the internal cavity.

Now running The Rok in the vertical position doesn't mean it won't operate, but it will operate at an 'elevated' temperature.
How much is guess work, at best, until it gets measured.

An additional means of cooling The Rok is to use a fan.
I use a special purpose fan and have lowered the external case temperature from 5-15ºF (depending where I point the IR reader), while in the 'normal' horizontal position.
It would take a bit of fussing on your part to mount it in your desired vertical position, but it would be doable,, especially if you can design and create using a 3d printer.

Also, both the Jggy and The Rok have their 'heavy' side, (where the transformers are) to the left. It would be 'best' if these sides were 'down'.

JJ

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #1,295 of 1,980
Didn't feel as cramped as I thought it would get when I got the monitor. And yeah, I'm sure the yggy could run well in any orientation, was just the raggy I was worried about. but as there was so much space (feeling of space at least) I don't have to care, would still like to know though.

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #1,296 of 1,980
Stumbled across this thread and am looking for some insight as I've become focused on a Ragnarok/Yggdrasil combo for my room. Right now I currently have:

- Soundblaster X7
- Yamaha HS80M monitors/HS10W sub
- Beyerdynamic T1 headphones
- PC for music/gaming
- Technics SL 1200 turntable

I've been desiring an upgrade from the X7 and 80M's and what has caught my eye is going to the Rag/Ygg combo and using Polk LSIM 703 speakers with them, along with the T1's. I guess what I'm looking to get some information/feedback on is, will these changes be a substantial improvement compared to what I already have? I mean I tend to think it will be, just looking for some feedback/suggestions. I'm also pondering adding a sub to that but I'm not sure how easy/possible it would be to hook up a sub to the Schiit gear? I wasn't looking for anything overly elaborate in regards to the sub, just something that can handle the bass. Maybe a 10" Klipsch or something? This is not a gigantic room and I'm not going to be blaring it. Thanks for any input/suggestions. I've always had my eye on Schiit stuff, seems like they're well thought of.

Jun 23, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #1,297 of 1,980
Stumbled across this thread and am looking for some insight as I've become focused on a Ragnarok/Yggdrasil combo for my room. Right now I currently have:

- Soundblaster X7
- Yamaha HS80M monitors/HS10W sub
- Beyerdynamic T1 headphones
- PC for music/gaming
- Technics SL 1200 turntable

I've been desiring an upgrade from the X7 and 80M's and what has caught my eye is going to the Rag/Ygg combo and using Polk LSIM 703 speakers with them, along with the T1's. I guess what I'm looking to get some information/feedback on is, will these changes be a substantial improvement compared to what I already have? I mean I tend to think it will be, just looking for some feedback/suggestions. I'm also pondering adding a sub to that but I'm not sure how easy/possible it would be to hook up a sub to the Schiit gear? I wasn't looking for anything overly elaborate in regards to the sub, just something that can handle the bass. Maybe a 10" Klipsch or something? This is not a gigantic room and I'm not going to be blaring it. Thanks for any input/suggestions. I've always had my eye on Schiit stuff, seems like they're well thought of.

Ragnarok has SE pre-amp outputs that can run a sub while powering speakers. I used mine that way for a few years to great effect.

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #1,298 of 1,980
Ragnarok has SE pre-amp outputs that can run a sub while powering speakers. I used mine that way for a few years to great effect.

Yeah that's what I figured, thanks. So how does that work in regards to the crossover setting? Do I run the speakers into the sub first, and then out from the sub into the Rag?

And also do you (or anyone else) have any input into my upgrade thoughts up there as well? Thanks,

Jun 23, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #1,299 of 1,980
Yeah that's what I figured, thanks. So how does that work in regards to the crossover setting? Do I run the speakers into the sub first, and then out from the sub into the Rag?

And also do you (or anyone else) have any input into my upgrade thoughts up there as well? Thanks,

The speakers run off the speaker outputs on the Rag, the subs from the SE preamp output. With an amp with the quality of a Rag you don't want to run a signal thru the sub to the speakers, you'll lose too much sound quality.

As for the upgrade- run your source direct to Yggy,wait a week and be prepared to be amazed.

Jul 13, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #1,300 of 1,980
The speakers run off the speaker outputs on the Rag, the subs from the SE preamp output. With an amp with the quality of a Rag you don't want to run a signal thru the sub to the speakers, you'll lose too much sound quality.

As for the upgrade- run your source direct to Yggy,wait a week and be prepared to be amazed.

This is great. I have a Ragnarok incoming to pair with my Yggdrasil. I will be using it to drive both my speakers and headphones. I also have a 12" sub so will definitely try the Rag's SE preamp out.

Sep 13, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #1,301 of 1,980
Hi guys

I have had the Ragnorak/Yggdrasil for about 4 months now and just wanted to give my thoughts and comparisons to my Audio-gd NFB-7 and Master-6 combination that I have had for a few years.

Even though the Yggy was ordered first the Ragnorak arrived first and was connected via balanced connection to my NFB-7 for burn in purposes. Immediate impressions were good but not at the same level as the NFB with my Master-6 via acss, but this was to be expected. For 2 weeks that was the way it stayed. Performance improved with burn in but still remained short of the Master-6. However that could be because of the ACSS vs XLR differences even though both had pure silver interconnections (ACSS was homemade costing around £60 and the XLR was an Artisan Ultimate Silver Dream costing just over £200) so I expect differences were minimal.

Then the Yggy arrived and the setup was changed accordingly. From that moment on the Yggy was connected to the Ragnorak only as I only had one xlr lead.
For a few weeks I allowed the Yggy to burn in while listening quite a bit and the sound which was already quite impressive got better and better.

The combination of the Schiit amp and dac lead to a very detailed, full bodied sound that seemed to be slightly on the warm side. It was at it's best with the HE6's and HD800's. It, like the AGD set up, was good but not ideal for the Beyer T1's.
However the disappointment was with the Audeze LCD2.2's. Compared to the AGD the sound was too warm and thick. It was still enjoyable but lacked the highs, clarity, energy, and involvement I was used to.
Over the next couple of months I still listened to both combinations regularly and decided that the Schiit gave a warmer slightly fuller sound which never failed to please. Soundstaging was different and very realistic, but it is hard to say whether it is better, and had very slightly more detail overall.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to try the Yggy into my Master-6. Whoa thats better.

The Yggy/master-6 combination brought greater transparency, energy and life to the sound, partly because of the slightly brighter, but never bright tone of the Master-6.

Personal taste plays a big part in any review or discussion about hifi but for myself the Master-6 gives me more of the kind of sound I want whether through the Yggy or NFB-7. As for the Yggy/NFB-7 comparison. I would say that the Yggy is the better DAC but at $600 more it should be at least slightly better, however the NFB-7 still has areas where it easily competes with the Yggy and has a character I love with an energy and dynamism that is intoxicationg.

I always wanted to try a R2R dac but the PCM1704 chipped dacs have always disappointed me and until the Yggy there were few alternatives. However the Yggy really is an exceptional DAC and will make a great alternative to my NFB-7.

One of the reasons I purchased the Ragnorak was for its speaker driving ability. It is an exceptional amp and I could easily keep it and be very happy with it but the Master-6 is closer to my tastes and the main reason I bought the Ragnorak was because I had planned to add a speaker system. However my plans have changed and I no longer intend to go down that route. Because of this I have decided to sell the Ragnorak and I have already listed it on this site.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #1,302 of 1,980
Searching this particular thread seems very difficult, i just received my Rag (haven't connected it yet) and was hoping some people could give their thoughts or guide where to look into impressions with the Elear, if they are good match for the Rag or i need to get a different type of headphone to get the best out of the Rag.

No one had replied to my post in the Elear thread so ill thought ill try here. Thanks

Sep 26, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #1,303 of 1,980
Only one way to find out! Trusting your own ears will be your best bet. I've not heard the Elear with the Ragnarok, but I can't imagine it would be a bad pairing. The Utopia would offer a clearer window into what the 'rok is capable of though. Which DAC will you be using?

Sep 26, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #1,304 of 1,980
Only one way to find out! Trusting your own ears will be your best bet. I've not heard the Elear with the Ragnarok, but I can't imagine it would be a bad pairing. The Utopia would offer a clearer window into what the 'rok is capable of though. Which DAC will you be using?

Yea for sure that is true, sounded great with the jotunheim. Have gungnir multibit (dreaming of one day having yoggi)

Sep 26, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #1,305 of 1,980
Searching this particular thread seems very difficult, i just received my Rag (haven't connected it yet) and was hoping some people could give their thoughts or guide where to look into impressions with the Elear, if they are good match for the Rag or i need to get a different type of headphone to get the best out of the Rag.

No one had replied to my post in the Elear thread so ill thought ill try here. Thanks

I've not heard a headphone that didn't sound good on Ragnarok. I've live with Yggy and Rggy for almost 5 months now. I own HD800, LCD-2f, ZMF Eikon and Atticus and a modified HD650. I've also previously owned a T1. The Schiit combo have driven all those headphones to perfection. I've not heard HD800 sounded so good. It is no surprise because Jason uses the HD800 in tuning the Ragnarok - so I heard in the grapevine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back