Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
May 30, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #1,096 of 2,006
At the risk of committing heresy, Rag's one true failing is the SE headphone out. Blame the summing circuit. First time I plugged my 7XXs in, I thought the cans were defective. Comparing Audeze balanced/SE cabling revealed the performance discrepancy. Bottom line, don't judge ¼" plug phones by their performance w/Rag. The Fostex  TH-X00s are a better match w/Rag. Sometimes I'm tempted to convert the THs to balanced cabling just to find out what they're really capable of, but how practical is that?

I agree the performance of the AKG k7xx is underwhelming on the Rag. The AKG is a pleasant sounding headphone. I use it at work with my JDS C5D, and I like the result. To me, it is good enough that I don't get irritated but not so good that I stop working to just listen. Perfect for work.

May 30, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #1,097 of 2,006

At the risk of committing heresy, Rag's one true failing is the SE headphone out. Blame the summing circuit. First time I plugged my 7XXs in, I thought the cans were defective. Comparing Audeze balanced/SE cabling revealed the performance discrepancy. Bottom line, don't judge ¼" plug phones by their performance w/Rag. The Fostex  TH-X00s are a better match w/Rag. Sometimes I'm tempted to convert the THs to balanced cabling just to find out what they're really capable of, but how practical is that?

I guess that is why it (the TRS output) is referred to as a "convenience" output.
I too tried it on my balanced 800's after using a bal to se converter and was underwhelmed.

Personally I would much more have liked dual 4-pin xlr outputs and forgo the summers etc.

20/20 hindsight is like that…

JJ

Jun 3, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #1,098 of 2,006
Has anyone, at one point or another, used both The Ragnarok and Mjolnir 2 as a preamp, feeding signal to a power amp? I wonder how they might compare in that application (apart from having the ability to tune the sound signature with the M2).

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #1,099 of 2,006

I'm a little late to this convo, so sorry, but I wanted to comment on the TH and balancing. I don't specifically know if the TH cables are the same as the D2k that I had, but with my d2k, there were 4 wires to the 1/4" plug, thus allowing for straight-forward switch to an xlr4 termination. The difference on my Liquid Carbon amp was most noticable in the bass, where it tightened up.

I previously had a few K7xxs with the same amp. Single ended was quite flabby in the bass. Upon balancing(not my mod), no more flab. I feel like the highs were a bit more lifelike, as well.

Jun 7, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #1,100 of 2,006

Actually had thought about that, but it would irreversible and render the Fostexs unusable with my DAP, unless I could find a 4-pinXLR-to-miniplug adapter which they won't have at Radio Shack (RIP.) With the connectors I could just swap cables as needed. 

Jun 7, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #1,101 of 2,006
Has anyone, at one point or another, used both The Ragnarok and Mjolnir 2 as a preamp, feeding signal to a power amp? I wonder how they might compare in that application (apart from having the ability to tune the sound signature with the M2).

Since no one has answered…

The Rok has, essentially, pre-amp functionality already built in, so that particular combination seems unlikely.
As for 'adding' the M2 sound sig (coloration) to The Rok, you'd probably be the first to find out how well that works.

Let us know if you get a chance to try it.

JJ

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #1,102 of 2,006
Since no one has answered…

The Rok has, essentially, pre-amp functionality already built in, so that particular combination seems unlikely.
As for 'adding' the M2 sound sig (coloration) to The Rok, you'd probably be the first to find out how well that works.

Let us know if you get a chance to try it.

JJ

Hey, thanks for chimin' in! Apologies for my poor wording. What I meant was, has anyone had both pieces of gear within their possession, used either piece (separately) as a preamp, and been able to discern a worthwhile improvement going from an MJ2 to a Rag. The reason I ask: I'm considering acquiring a Rag to power a pair of HE-6s at my desk, as well as to use it as a preamp, feeding my power amp in my two channel system via a longish run of XLRs, thereby eliminating the need for a second DAC, as well as a decent preamp in my two channel system. I would lose the remote aspect, but I generally just throw on a full album or concert recording of a single show anyhow, so actively changing the volume isn't something I tend to do anyway. Or, option B: I won't bother getting HE-6s, and just get a Mjolnir 2 for the same purpose.

Jun 7, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #1,103 of 2,006
Ah, I see now…

I still have an original Mojo, but that's as close as I can get to what you're looking to do.

JJ

Jun 12, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #1,104 of 2,006
The balanced out on my rag is going out on the left channel. If I tap the male connector down it comes back on most of the time.

Non of the pins on the male connector are loose.

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #1,105 of 2,006
The balanced out on my rag is going out on the left channel. If I tap the male connector down it comes back on most of the time.

Non of the pins on the male connector are loose.

Five Year Warranty.

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #1,107 of 2,006
I bought mine used and I think it voids the warranty once it's resold....

Contact them and ask.
It may not be 'free', but I'd bet it won't be expensive either.

Just a thought, and they are mighty quick on responding to emails.

JJ

Jun 13, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #1,109 of 2,006
  Contact them and ask.
It may not be 'free', but I'd bet it won't be expensive either.

Just a thought, and they are mighty quick on responding to emails.

JJ

I switched L/R xlr and it seemed to stop but didn't mess with it because I needed to relax. I'll see if it's as sensitive as before next time.

Jun 14, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #1,110 of 2,006
That kind of reaction to being 'wiggled', is often the result of a stress fracture, of which cold solder joints are the most common.
They can work and then fail all to easily, which can make it hard(er) to track down.

But, if this is so, the repair cost is usually less than shipping.

Just say'n is all…

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back