Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Jun 17, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #797 of 2,001
Jun 17, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #800 of 2,001
I'm looking forward to trying it out with my HiFiMan HE-560's and Polk Reference Monitor 40 V3's! 

Your HE-560 should pair well with the Rok! Do you have balanced cable for it?

Jun 17, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #801 of 2,001
Hey guys, I need some help. I've got my balanced headphones connected to the Rag and and then my powered speakers connected to the SE output. I'm trying to go between headphone only and speaker only so sound isnt coming out of both speakers and headphones at the same time, but it doesn't seem to work. Are the instructions in the manual only for the speaker taps? cause ive been holding down the input for 2 seconds dozens of times and nothing changes.

Jun 17, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #802 of 2,001
I'm debating between the Ragnarock, hifiman EF6, gsx mkII, or OPPO HA1 at the moment... I haven't found much comparing them directly, just individual reviews of each amp, all glowing, but not much that will help me weed through which to go with. Also toying with the idea of waiting a bit longer to spring for a cavalli (most likely the crimson), or just going for a nice otl like woo wa2... Decisions decisions.

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #803 of 2,001
I'm debating between the Ragnarock, hifiman EF6, gsx mkII, or OPPO HA1 at the moment... I haven't found much comparing them directly, just individual reviews of each amp, all glowing, but not much that will help me weed through which to go with. Also toying with the idea of waiting a bit longer to spring for a cavalli (most likely the crimson), or just going for a nice otl like woo wa2... Decisions decisions.

You need to add the Auralic Tauru Mk. 2 to your list, killer amp. Superior to the Liquid Carbon, an equal to the Crimson. Both were in Dan's (MrSpeakers) rig at the Nashville Meet.

Jun 17, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #805 of 2,001
Hey guys, I need some help. I've got my balanced headphones connected to the Rag and and then my powered speakers connected to the SE output. I'm trying to go between headphone only and speaker only so sound isnt coming out of both speakers and headphones at the same time, but it doesn't seem to work. Are the instructions in the manual only for the speaker taps? cause ive been holding down the input for 2 seconds dozens of times and nothing changes.

Yes, all outs (speaker, balanced, SE) except headphone should be disabled in "headphone only" mode. 

You should hear a relay click when you hold down the input select button (far left) for a few seconds which indicates a change between the three modes.  Suggest doing it with volume turned all the way down.  Maybe also check that you didn't accidentally change the input as well?

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #806 of 2,001

The Rag is a good jump up from the HA-1. Of the other amps mentioned (including the Taurus), the Rag is the smoothest and most transparent. The caveat is--not everyone likes transparent. The Taurus is more aggressive and has a noticeable signature, but some people prefer it to the Rag. The Rag doesn't sound like anything, and that can be unnerving. The GSX mkII is great--probably a touch brighter than the Rag.

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #807 of 2,001
Hey guys, I need some help. I've been holding down the input for 2 seconds dozens of times and nothing changes.

Timing is approximate - the source selector must be pressed firmly and held until a click is heard, which may take more than two seconds. A too-light, too-quick press will change the source, which will be accompanied by the next LED lighting up. If you just change output, the LEDs will be unaffected. I've memorized "S-H-B" (speakers headphones both) as a mantra, and try to make only one change at a time, but I still bring up the volume slowly as a double-check.

Jun 18, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #808 of 2,001

You do know that the Ragnarok is also a speaker amp, right?

Jun 18, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #810 of 2,001

Users who are viewing this thread

Back