Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Jun 4, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #769 of 2,020
If only the supply could meet the demand on Schiit products. I'd be happier not to wait, but as Schiit heads though, we should be used to it by now. It's not the first time I've had to wait, but this 3 months has been the longest wait so far. 

Jun 9, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #771 of 2,020

It should make you happy to note we have a bunch of Ragnaroks on the burn rack for shipping this week. We should be able to clear up the backorders with reasonable speed (ask Alex for more detailed estimates.)

Next up, Yggdrasil.

biggrin.gif

+1 I'm waiting to complete an Yggy-Rag combo.

Jun 13, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #773 of 2,020
Hey there guys,

Im obviously very interested in this product as a headphone guy, but im really curious to learn more about its speaker potential, more specifically the pre-amp operation and SQ.

Hopefully, in the near future I will be getting my hands on a good pair of speakers and a power amp. Nothing specific is set in stone yet obviously, but as a point of reference I would say: JBL Synthesis S4700 and the Mark Levinson 532H power amp. Since this is a fairly serious setup, I would like to know if the Ragnarok could possibly ever be an adequate pre-amp (I would get both the Raggy and Yggy).

Obviously, most people that buy this sort of gear don't hold back on the best pre-amps from the amp industry elite. Since I really don't care about some of the known issues of the Ragnarok (no remote, heat, etc), I would consider a less convenient option provided that it doesn't impact SQ.

Would it be as transparent as some other decent/more than decent/high end pre-amps? In what ways would it be different from a normal pre-amp? Has anyone ever done comparisons for SQ? 

Thanks a lot guys!

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #774 of 2,020
  Hey there guys,

Im obviously very interested in this product as a headphone guy, but im really curious to learn more about its speaker potential, more specifically the pre-amp operation and SQ.

Hopefully, in the near future I will be getting my hands on a good pair of speakers and a power amp. Nothing specific is set in stone yet obviously, but as a point of reference I would say: JBL Synthesis S4700 and the Mark Levinson 532H power amp. Since this is a fairly serious setup, I would like to know if the Ragnarok could possibly ever be an adequate pre-amp (I would get both the Raggy and Yggy).

Obviously, most people that buy this sort of gear don't hold back on the best pre-amps from the amp industry elite. Since I really don't care about some of the known issues of the Ragnarok (no remote, heat, etc), I would consider a less convenient option provided that it doesn't impact SQ.

Would it be as transparent as some other decent/more than decent/high end pre-amps? In what ways would it be different from a normal pre-amp? Has anyone ever done comparisons for SQ? 

Thanks a lot guys!

I've also been trying to get some good info on the Rag as a pre but I have yet to find anybody who has done any real testing.  I think the problem is that currently Schiit pushes more into the Headphone market rather than the speaker market making the rag much less visible.  In addition the possibility the amp section of the rag could interfere with the rag's functionality as a pre-amp the very definition of "integrated amp" to some is off putting.

I have high hopes that Schiit will release a nice powered pre-amp down the road but for now im looking at a Rotel RC1570.  I have in the past demos some excellent McIntosh units such as the C50 and the C2500 though I didnt find the price boost from the RC1570 to the C2500 justifiable.

At the end of the day I've decided to go with no-compromise and have dedicated loops for my speakers(PSB Imagine T2 Tower) and my cans(HE1K).  The only crosslink between the two loops is that I have my Yggy's output connected to one of the inputs on each loop so that I can listen to the Yggy on either set.

Jun 13, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #775 of 2,020
  I've also been trying to get some good info on the Rag as a pre but I have yet to find anybody who has done any real testing. 

I have well tested the Ragnarok as a preamp in my speakers rig, as it was one of the points I was quite interested in. It was unimpressive. Dynamic range, soundstage, detail, transparency, resolution all took a hit. My Xindak A600E MK2 is an integrated monster amp, which can also work as a power amp. The Audio GD HE-9 was better than the Ragnarok as a preamp but it still sacrificed some transparency. The latter did have some strengths as a pre-amp though in particular soundstage holography and mids. 

My personal conclusion: Get an integrated amp or perhaps passive preamp instead. Or I should prepare to splash on a much higher quality active preamp.

Jun 14, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #776 of 2,020

My personal conclusion: Get an integrated amp or perhaps passive preamp instead. Or I should prepare to splash on a much higher quality active preamp.

I have never found a passive preamp to be able to fully maintain the the SQ of the source devices.  Most notably I've found all passive pres end up flattening the sound to varying degrees but I've yet to hear something that doesn't.  I really don't think you need to spend a lot to get a good quality active pre though, as little as 1K.  If i could afford it I would get the McIntosh C50 but alas I cannot at this time justify such a device.

Jun 14, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #777 of 2,020

I have never found a passive preamp to be able to fully maintain the the SQ of the source devices.  Most notably I've found all passive pres end up flattening the sound to varying degrees but I've yet to hear something that doesn't.  I really don't think you need to spend a lot to get a good quality active pre though, as little as 1K.  If i could afford it I would get the McIntosh C50 but alas I cannot at this time justify such a device.

That was the other option. Buy a higher quality active preamp. $$$$. =)
Or a DAC with very good preamp function.

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #778 of 2,020

That was the other option. Buy a higher quality active preamp. $$$$. =)
Or a DAC with very good preamp function.

I do somewhat use the Yggy as a "digital pre" as I have 2 input device, S/PDIF from Gustard U12 and USB from my Plex Client but in overall I'm much more a fan of separates.  I tend to not like to compromise when possible.  

Jun 14, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #779 of 2,020

I have well tested the Ragnarok as a preamp in my speakers rig, as it was one of the points I was quite interested in. It was unimpressive. Dynamic range, soundstage, detail, transparency, resolution all took a hit. My Xindak A600E MK2 is an integrated monster amp, which can also work as a power amp. The Audio GD HE-9 was better than the Ragnarok as a preamp but it still sacrificed some transparency. The latter did have some strengths as a pre-amp though in particular soundstage holography and mids. 

Just curious... Were you using the Rag's preamp balanced or single ended?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back