Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Jun 21, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #1,351 of 2,023
My experience is the same. I use the middle gain setting for the speakers (Heresy III) and HD800, low for the Utopia.

I think it may have more to do with the volume setup than Ragnarok's actual power output.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #1,352 of 2,023
This behavior is 'normal'.
The Rok even at the lowest gain and with the MOAR knob all the way down, is not 'off'.

JJ

Jun 27, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #1,354 of 2,023
Here we go again, I really want to like this amp but man all the little quirks is starting to annoy me. It sounds great with my ATC SMC7 speakers and the Z1R headphones, but i dont really like the pushing of a button everyday for a few seconds to change from headphones to speakers. Maybe is just me but I feel that by doing that everyday at some point is going to fail, hopefully I am wrong. The other think I find a little annoying is the changing the gain for both speakers and headphones. Same thing again with all the button pushing. LOL

So i had the great idea to use the setting of both speaker and headphone out to avoid pushing buttons, and in that setting I can hear a humming noise on both single ended and balanced headphones connections. However, if using the headphone out only, no humming.
Is it an issue that by using both speaker and headphone out they push more noise or more power? I just find it weird. Is that normal behavior. I might have to email Schiit about this issue.

Jun 27, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #1,355 of 2,023
I bought one of the first rags back in the day. It kept blowing fuses and I sent it back for repair. I got it back and still did it. They claimed they could not make it blow a fuse. I plugged in my Mjolnir amp and Gungnir dac to same receptacle, nothing but clean sound and no problems at all. Finally just sent it back to get my money back. When it was working, same irritating stuff as the guy above. I will not be buying another one.

Jun 28, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #1,356 of 2,023
Here we go again, I really want to like this amp but man all the little quirks is starting to annoy me. It sounds great with my ATC SMC7 speakers and the Z1R headphones, but i dont really like the pushing of a button everyday for a few seconds to change from headphones to speakers. Maybe is just me but I feel that by doing that everyday at some point is going to fail, hopefully I am wrong. The other think I find a little annoying is the changing the gain for both speakers and headphones. Same thing again with all the button pushing. LOL

So i had the great idea to use the setting of both speaker and headphone out to avoid pushing buttons, and in that setting I can hear a humming noise on both single ended and balanced headphones connections. However, if using the headphone out only, no humming.
Is it an issue that by using both speaker and headphone out they push more noise or more power? I just find it weird. Is that normal behavior. I might have to email Schiit about this issue.
I run both speakers and HP's and don't hear any noise etc when either or both are playing.

As for the button pushing, it is the way the amp deals with changing it's 'mode' of operation.
In essence you are telling the computer to shift gears, and while it does so it mutes it's outputs, then re-configures itself, tests everything and then re-enables the outputs.
And all that clicking you hear are relays that have a very high life expectancy (in the 10K's-100K's or even Million's of on/off cycles).

Also know that you can use the entire range of the MOAR knob, as in you can crank it all the way up, in any gain mode.
I use the mid gain for my setup and rarely change it, even though I have fairly inefficient speakers (85dB @1m).

As for the hum, have you checked that your power is up to spec?
Specifically that hot and neutral aren't reversed and that you do have a 'good' ground?
It could also be a proximity issue in that some signal or even speaker cabling is too close to ac power cables.

A few things to consider.

JJ

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #1,357 of 2,023
I run both speakers and HP's and don't hear any noise etc when either or both are playing.

As for the button pushing, it is the way the amp deals with changing it's 'mode' of operation.
In essence you are telling the computer to shift gears, and while it does so it mutes it's outputs, then re-configures itself, tests everything and then re-enables the outputs.
And all that clicking you hear are relays that have a very high life expectancy (in the 10K's-100K's or even Million's of on off cycles).
Also know that you can use the entire range of the MOAR knob, as in you can crank it all the way up, in any gain mode.
I use the mid gain for my setup and rarely change it, even though I have fairly inefficient speakers (85dB @1m).

As for the hum, have you checked that your power is up to spec?
Specifically that hot and neutral aren't reversed and that you do have a 'good' ground?
It could also be a proximity issue in that some signal or even speaker cabling is too close to ac power cables.

A few things to consider.

JJ
Thanks for the advice, so far I just disconnected my source as well as switched to the various inputs and still detect the faint hum on just the speaker/headphone setting and only thru the headphone out.

Jun 28, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #1,358 of 2,023
I finally decided to simplify my set up and buy a Rag to power my Dali 800 towers and LCD-4 and Ether C Flow. If any of you have an extra one you want to sell, please let me know. I have a WTB ad in the amp sales section. The next step is a pair of Schiit Vidars if the Rag can't power the Dalis adequately.

Thanks!

Jun 28, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #1,359 of 2,023
Ragnarok has enough juice to drive a pair of 4ohms power hungry floor standers. It surprised me by driving my Axis LS88 tower speakers so well. Kind of miss the Rag after I sold it.

When I still had my Rag. I now use a Redgum RGI120ENR.
20170915_200931.jpg

The Axis LS88 it drove.
20171018_063532.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #1,360 of 2,023
Ragnarok has enough juice to drive a pair of 4ohms power hungry floor standers. It surprised me by driving my Axis LS88 tower speakers so well. Kind of miss the Rag after I sold it.

When I still had my Rag. I now use a Regum RGI120ENR.

The Axis LS88 it drove.
Nice!

Jun 28, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #1,361 of 2,023
After selling off the Ragnarok I feel like getting it again. I did miss it. Sounded great with speakers and headphones (HD800, LCD-2f, Eikon and Atticus) The noise floor is so low I can't hear any noise.

Here on the desktop, I fed Rag with both analogue and digital inputs through my Rega RP8 and Yggdrasil.
20170904_060137.jpg

Jun 28, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #1,362 of 2,023
After selling off the Ragnarok I feel like getting it again. I did miss it. Sounded great with speakers and headphones (HD800, LCD-2f, Eikon and Atticus) The noise floor is so low I can't hear any noise.

Here on the desktop, I fed Rag with both analogue and digital inputs through my Rega RP8 and Yggdrasil.
Time to get it again then. ha. Do you still have the Yggdrasil? That's next on my list

Jun 28, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #1,363 of 2,023
Time to get it again then. ha. Do you still have the Yggdrasil? That's next on my list

Of course I still have Yggdrasil. Won't be selling it until WW3 starts :)

I bought a NAD M51 recently 2nd hand and thought it sounded great but after one month I swap back Yggdrasil and I know then what 'great' means. Yggdrasil is on another level of greatness. :)

Here's the 2 dacs in action and I still have both.
20180606_205530.jpg

20180610_150313.jpg

Jun 28, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #1,364 of 2,023
How hot does the Rag get? I'm currently waiting on mine since its been backordered since May. Going to be replacing my Lyr 2 with it. I know tubes would be better, but don't feel like fussing with tubes all my life and seems like a good fit to control my headphones and speakers with.

Jun 28, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #1,365 of 2,023
Ragnarok will get hot but not terribly hot and nothing to worry about if there's adequate ventilation. No stacking of other components on top that is for sure.

On the subject of tube amps, I wouldn't have sold off Ragnarok if not for tube amps. When Glenn OTL amp arrives, I simply use it all the time and Ragnarok was disconnected and left in the spare room. What a shame. I now have a DNA Stratus on order and will get it in a year's time. However no tubes amps will be as silent as a capable ss amp like Ragnarok. I really think I should have Ragnarok and a tube amp together.

Also Yggdrasil and Ragnarok is as matching as you can get. Connect it with xlr interconnects and the heavens opens .....

This is how I audition it at the shop - Addicted To Audio. I bought it there and then together with HD800. Makes the salesman very happy. He even help me carry all that gear to my car. :)

20170520_121852.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back