Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
May 13, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #721 of 2,020
  So I've been reading reviews...does this thing literally burn at the touch after awhile? I was gonna stack it on the Yggy.

It's just hot, not burning. You're not going to get a blister or prolonged irritation from toucing it, unless it's in a poorly-ventilated area. I've had mine stacked on the Yggy for two weeks, no problems so far.

May 13, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #722 of 2,020
Does the amp drive bookshelf speakers well? I have a cheap T-amp driving pioneer desktop speakers and was wondering if Rag was the end-game in SS? 
wink_face.gif

May 13, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #723 of 2,020
  So I've been reading reviews...does this thing literally burn at the touch after awhile? I was gonna stack it on the Yggy.

It does get quite warm but definitely nothing nearing burning hot.  You can still put your hand on the top or sides for an extended amount of time.  The bottom left under the transformers is the hottest part; I'm not sure if you could put your hand there for an extended period but even that is still not "burn yourself" within seconds hot.  (Also, why would you do that??)

I have mine sitting on top of Yggdrasil using hockey pucks as spacers.  Ambient temperature is low 20s Celsius.

May 13, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #724 of 2,020

After playing for an extended period of time, the 'Rok's volume knob will get warm but remain comfortable to touch. Only the source selection button ever feels a bit too hot.

A Yggy on the bottom is fine; it doesn't get appreciably warmer from the Ragnarok, even with the stock feet separating them. I do have 3-4 inches open on each side for circulation. Fans are unnecessary IMO.

May 13, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #725 of 2,020
... I have mine sitting on top of Yggdrasil using hockey pucks as spacers...

Cool, I lover that idea. You should also do a DYI stereo stand using hockey sticks.

I am on the search for an end game amp. Still not sure if I want to go SS or Tubes. If SS, I am thinking of Ragnarok and BHA-1 right now, but not sure which ones for Tubes. Want to keep below $2,000 but also need to consider that I am now living in Hong Kong, although I will be back in Toronto for thexample coming summer break. Probably can't bring an amp back to HK with me because I will probably be bringing back some new hockey equipment.

May 13, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #726 of 2,020
  Does the amp drive bookshelf speakers well? I have a cheap T-amp driving pioneer desktop speakers and was wondering if Rag was the end-game in SS? 
wink_face.gif

I've got Sierra-2's, and it does a good job driving it, but it's not my favorite amp to use with them. There's certainly nothing to complain about with that pairing.

May 14, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #728 of 2,020
I've got Sierra-2's, and it does a good job driving it, but it's not my favorite amp to use with them. There's certainly nothing to complain about with that pairing.

Smitty: out of curiosity, what IS your favorite amp with the Sierra-2s? And how does the Ragnarok compare to it? Thanks!

May 14, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #729 of 2,020
Smitty: out of curiosity, what IS your favorite amp with the Sierra-2s? And how does the Ragnarok compare to it? Thanks!

My favorite amp is an Inspire 45 "Fire Bottle" from Dennis Had with NOS RCA globe 245 tubes. While Ascent recommends 40 wpc for the Sierra-2s, this 2 wpc amp drives them amazingly well. For me the music sounds more alive with that amp, and there's more detail. I get a better sense of room echoes, instrument positioning and separation, and The soundstage is wider and deeper. Listening to orchestral music with that amp is like being in the 10th row in a concert hall. Not to say that the Rag is bad, it's just not as good as the 45 amp.

May 14, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #730 of 2,020
I'm getting more antsy than I liked to admit, so I shot them an email:

"Our board house is currently working on the board assembly, but due to the intricate nature of the boards, this is taking some time.  We cannot guarantee a time, but we hope it will be within a couple weeks."

So we're looking at another two weeks or so.

May 14, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #731 of 2,020

"[COLOR=1F497D]Our board house is currently working on the board assembly, but due to the intricate nature of the boards, this is taking some time.  We cannot guarantee a time, but we hope it will be within a couple weeks."[/COLOR]

[COLOR=1F497D]So we're looking at another two weeks or so.[/COLOR]

Thanks!

May 22, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #732 of 2,020

"Our board house is currently working on the board assembly, but due to the intricate nature of the boards, this is taking some time.  We cannot guarantee a time, but we hope it will be within a couple weeks."

So we're looking at another two weeks or so.

Well YMMV on that, I asked the same question at the beginning of the month and got basically the same answer. "A few weeks"

May 22, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #733 of 2,020
Yeah, it's beginning to feel like a pile of horse****. sorry to be frank. I have a feeling they have no idea when the board house will be done and that we'll get them when we get them, no matter how far passed the original time quoted. I was quoted 2-4 weeks February 24. That was 8 weeks ago. I understand it's not really Schiit's fault, but we are customers. If I had been charged already, I would have been angry beyond belief. The only thing keeping me to this thing is the wonderful reviews, and the fact that I have 2 other pieces of Schiit gear. I am a patient man, but there is no doubt in my mind others have backed out already.

The sad thing is, they probably won'y do anything to compensate, because again, it's not really their fault, which I understand. Regardless, I'm beginning to get a little annoyed, if you can't tell.

May 22, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #734 of 2,020
  Yeah, it's beginning to feel like a pile of horse****. sorry to be frank. I have a feeling they have no idea when the board house will be done and that we'll get them when we get them, no matter how far passed the original time quoted. I was quoted 2-4 weeks February 24. That was 8 weeks ago. I understand it's not really Schiit's fault, but we are customers. If I had been charged already, I would have been angry beyond belief. The only thing keeping me to this thing is the wonderful reviews, and the fact that I have 2 other pieces of Schiit gear. I am a patient man, but there is no doubt in my mind others have backed out already.

The sad thing is, they probably won'y do anything to compensate, because again, it's not really their fault, which I understand. Regardless, I'm beginning to get a little annoyed, if you can't tell.

I'm right with you. With pretty much any other type of product or service this would be unacceptable. It's completely different if they were just up front about it. But they still are letting people put in orders right now with the status of " Will start shipping second run in 2 - 4 weeks.  Orders placed now may take 4 - 6 weeks " ... which has been the same status up for nearly two months now. 

Seems they bit off more they could chew with both the Yggy first run and Rag second run in production and it seems like the Yggy took priority. 

If it takes more than another couple of weeks or so I'll probably just end up cancelling the order. Could've had that same money sitting in a high-yield account this whole time... 

Either way it'll likely be my last purchase from Schiit. 

May 22, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #735 of 2,020
  I'm right with you. With pretty much any other type of product or service this would be unacceptable. It's completely different if they were just up front about it. But they still are letting people put in orders right now with the status of " Will start shipping second run in 2 - 4 weeks.  Orders placed now may take 4 - 6 weeks " ... which has been the same status up for nearly two months now. 

Seems they bit off more they could chew with both the Yggy first run and Rag second run in production and it seems like the Yggy took priority. 

If it takes more than another couple of weeks or so I'll probably just end up cancelling the order. Could've had that same money sitting in a high-yield account this whole time... 

Either way it'll likely be my last purchase from Schiit. 

Oh, the Yggy did take priority, I can tell you that because one is sitting right in front of me LOL. Got it with a week and a half of ordering, imagine that. My immediate thought though, when Alex said ""Yggy boards line jumped the Ragnarok boards.  We are waiting on Raganrok mainboards and gain stage boards.  Once Yggy is off the line, Ragnarok will be next up."  was boy do I feel bad for the poor guys who ordered Rags JANUARY. I don't know, hopefully someone from Schiit can come in here and give us a decent explanation abot what the **** happened. Obviously you're right, they bit off more than they could chew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back