Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
May 3, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #707 of 2,020
Ok so I wanted to experiment with varying the rate of thermal dissipation.
IOW what would happen if I stuck a fan on The Rok?

So I did, and then very shortly thereafter reduced the amount of air flow by ≈ 50% because it REALLY cooled the entire amp WAY down.
And I'm already using a low (≤10) CFM, 500rpm rated fan.

So I played around with a couple of different configurations and I could drop the overall temperature by 10º or 15º using the fan I already had.  It didn’t seem to make much difference between blowing air into or sucking air out of The Rok.

What is next is to listen to see if there are any sonic differences.
This will be a tall order what with the delay of having to wait for the amp to stabilize at the new thermal conditions.

The only immediate downside is the extra noise of the fan itself, which I have sorta handled by adding a readily accessible switch to turn it off when necessary.

A note for those who think they might like to try this.

Use a low CFM fan, I was amazed at how fast the case temps dropped when I just stuck my fan on top.
A ≤10 CFM is about as low as you'll find and anything that moves more air will be not only be noisier but will remove WAY to much heat WAY to fast.

Be prepared to switch it off when the music gets quiet, unless you're either far enough away or are using closed cans.
Using my 800's I can easily hear the whoooosh and it only adds 1-2 dB to the background noise level.

May 3, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #708 of 2,020
Hey guys - I haven't seen much commentary on the Pre-outs on the Rag.  Can anybody comment on the transparency of the pre-amp outputs?  Currently I use a vintage Bryston 4B to drive my speakers and want to have the option to continue to use a dedicated poweramp for speakers while having what is one of the best headphone amps.  

May 7, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #714 of 2,020
Yes, I know. Did noone read my post? lol.

Quote:
  An update from Alex in another thread:

"Yggy boards line jumped the Ragnarok boards.  We are waiting on Raganrok mainboards and gain stage boards.  Once Yggy is off the line, Ragnarok will be next up.  I think two weeks is a good safe estimate for those boards to come in.  So, barring any forgotten parts, I figure Ragnarok to resume shipping in mid May."

May 13, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #717 of 2,020
It's hottest underneath.

Sides     98-105F
Top        98-102F 
Face      98-108F
Bottom  100-125F

I've added some extra space between the dac on the bottom and The Rok on top, just because.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back