Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
Aug 16, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #1,546 of 2,005
884B0103-A061-4D8C-BF2D-6F015B0560CF.jpeg

Hi, I just get my Rag2 I want ask, should I warm up rag before listening and do you guys switch power off when not listening? Thank you!

Aug 16, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #1,547 of 2,005
884B0103-A061-4D8C-BF2D-6F015B0560CF.jpeg
Hi, I just get my Rag2 I want ask, should I warm up rag before listening and do you guys switch power off when not listening? Thank you!

It should be all warmed up in 20 min. I've got a "1" so I shut it off when done - except when I had it in a 55F basement, then it was on a lot.

OTOH my Gumby likes to be on for days at a time and usually only goes off for nasty electrical storms.

I wouldn't stress over it too much.

Aug 16, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #1,548 of 2,005
No it isn't an alps pot and is their own design built into the mother board and not an 'add on' part.
Look at the circuit board pic for confirmation.
https://www.schiit.com/products/ragnarok-1

JJ

Have you ever noticed there is a very brief audio drop out when changing the volume? It happens at each step after the click. I notice it more through headphones than speakers. It’s not really a problem, just messes with my OCD a little.
Anyone else have that issue?

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #1,549 of 2,005
Yes there is an audio mute function built into the volume control function.
This further reduces the noise of the circuit as it changes the volume of the signal.
And the mute function is used whenever any of the operating modes of the amp are made (gain, input and output) to make these transitions as 'smooth' as possible.

JJ

Aug 16, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #1,550 of 2,005
Have you ever noticed there is a very brief audio drop out when changing the volume? It happens at each step after the click. I notice it more through headphones than speakers. It’s not really a problem, just messes with my OCD a little.
This is normal. I think it's when it's between two resistors in the relay ladder or something like that. I'm sure someone else can explain better, but it's inherent to the stepped attenuator design. The Violectric V281 had the same behavior with it's stepped attenuator. Small price to pay for perfect channel tracking.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #1,551 of 2,005

Yes it is very audible with headphones.

Aug 23, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #1,552 of 2,005
I can't imagine doing this with many amps, but the Rag 2 runs incredibly cool. You can't see it, but there is a nice gap below the monitor and the amp, so it can breathe.

20200822_014519.jpg

Aug 23, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #1,553 of 2,005
I can't imagine doing this with many amps, but the Rag 2 runs incredibly cool. You can't see it, but there is a nice gap below the monitor and the amp, so it can breathe.

20200822_014519.jpg

A lot of amps outside of Class A bias run cool or at least comfortable to the touch. 2 is cooler than 1 for two primary reasons. They set up the chassis to shed heat more efficiently and its only in Class A thru 1 watt, not 4 like the 1.

Aug 23, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #1,554 of 2,005
I’m more and more impressed with this amp every day. Currently using it in my basement system with a pair of 50-year old (slightly restored) KLH model sixes. The Rag 2 really makes them sing. The headphone output also seems to be getting better every time I listen to it. One of those amps that’s really hard to turn off.

Edit: I will add though, the remote sucks. I can get it to adjust the volume about half the time and then when it finally kicks in, it overshoots and blows my eardrums out. :darthsmile:

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #1,555 of 2,005
I’m more and more impressed with this amp every day. Currently using it in my basement system with a pair of 50-year old (slightly restored) KLH model sixes. The Rag 2 really makes them sing. The headphone output also seems to be getting better every time I listen to it. One of those amps that’s really hard to turn off.

Edit: I will add though, the remote sucks. I can get it to adjust the volume about half the time and then when it finally kicks in, it overshoots and blows my eardrums out. :darthsmile:

6's.... boy its been a long time. Needed at least 60 wpc to get them to play in a medium/large room. Highs sort of fade off around 14kHz. They were grown up Dyna A-25's. Kind of similar to the Lg Advent (but much more pleasing treble than the Advents and AR 3a's), more integrated than the KLH-5.

Besides the blizzard of planar headphones I have on it, I run a high efficiency set (94 db) of 3 way floor standers to high levels and dynamics every now and then too.

Aug 23, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #1,556 of 2,005

I've found that the stock batteries wear out quickly. When the batteries get weak the performance of all the schiit remotes really drops. Buy some Duracell or Energizer batteries, they last longer and give improved performance....

Yeah the field of view for that eye is narrow.. I just pretend im playing duck hunt or laser tag. Also, my cheeto dust covered fingers have impacted the remote before. wiping off the transmitter and occasaionaly dusting your gear off helps too.

Ive commented elsewhere before about wishing for RF transmitters, but was informed that the IR was likely chosen for low noise inside the unit.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #1,558 of 2,005
Anyone getting humming / buzzing from their Ragnarok's 2 transformer? Is this normal?

Can it be fixed with a mains conditioner ?

Thanks for any guidance.

Yes my Rag2 also has transformer hum and I believe it is normal. For me it is only noticeable when you are very close to the amplifier, not through the speakers. I think I remember reading that the transformer is enclosed in a metal box to reduce noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back