Schiit Modius discussion - $199 balanced AK4493 DAC
Jun 6, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #61 of 941
When I ordered my Jot in October 2017, I did not buy the 4490 card on the recommendation of Mike Moffat. He said I was better off with my existing Modi Multibit.

Jun 6, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #62 of 941
Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #63 of 941
Well I placed my order! I'm ready to join the expectation bias club!

I got the 6 inch XLR cables from Amazon and rather than buying a new USB cable I was able to source an Audioquest USB B to mini USB adapter for my overpriced 9ft Audioquest USB A to USB B cable! It was $16 but way cheaper than buying another snake oil USB cable haha.

Jun 6, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #65 of 941
Actually, it wouldn't be crazy at all if the Modius sounded as good as, or even slightly better than the RME ADI-2 DAC FS (as one influential person has claimed). They both use the same AKM AK4493 chip and are both designed by highly competent engineers who know the difference between what sounds good and what doesn't. But the RME is an impressively full-featured DAC that is primarily designed for professional use in a studio, whereas the Modius is a bare-bones PCM-only design that is primarily intended for use at home.
Purely soundwise I would put my bet on Modius + Asgard 3 against Adi 2 dac fs, better sound for half price. But someone experienced has to confirm this :)

Jun 6, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #66 of 941
You guys think Schiit will release a new balanced amp to go with Modius? Currently, only Jotunheimen can benefit from the balanced outputs.
There’s been some speculation about the possibility of a fully-balanced ‘Magnius’ that may be in the works, but nothing for sure.

But who knows, cuz if there’s one thing Jason and Mike love, it’s a big, unpleasant surprise (for their competition, that is)! :smiling_imp:

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #67 of 941
Yea hopefully they will release something op-amp based. I kinda want to try a setup with excellent measurements since I have never really tried it out. I'm currently using Yggy A2 and original Ragnarok, so the measurements aren't that amazing, but they sound good to my ears. Just want to hear the other side of the argument.

Jun 6, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #68 of 941
There’s been some speculation about the possibility of a fully-balanced ‘Magnius’ that may be in the works, but nothing for sure.

But who knows, cuz if there’s one thing Jason and Mike love, it’s a big, unpleasant surprise (for their competition, that is)! :smiling_imp:

My guess is a modius MB Is in the future before a magnius just based on Jasons chapters. Then an upgraded Jot (Jot2)to take advantage of the balanced outs. A Magnius seems to be unnecessary... and should have been released alongside the modius if being considered. Remember, this was supposed to be released months ago!

The MB version would fill the $400, non-upgradeable DAC option that was discussed in the Bifrost2 chapter.

Jun 6, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #69 of 941
I don’t understand the desire for a balanced magni just for the sake of balanced to match a DAC.

Just stack a magni 3+ and a heresy side by side on top of the modius and your done!

...and/or vali 2!

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #70 of 941
My guess is a modius MB Is in the future before a magnius just based on Jasons chapters. Then an upgraded Jot (Jot2)to take advantage of the balanced outs. A Magnius seems to be unnecessary... and should have been released alongside the modius if being considered. Remember, this was supposed to be released months ago!

The MB version would fill the $400, non-upgradeable DAC option that was discussed in the Bifrost2 chapter.
Jot has always been a balanced amp. It does have balanced inputs and balanced pre-outs on the back. Along with SE inputs and pre-outs, and both SE and balanced XLR headphone jacks.

Jun 6, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #71 of 941
Jot has always been a balanced amp. It does have balanced inputs and balanced pre-outs on the back. Along with SE inputs and pre-outs, and both SE and balanced XLR headphone jacks.
For sure... but I’m just suggesting that that amp may be the next update we see rather than a matching sized magni.

Jun 6, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #72 of 941
Yea hopefully they will release something op-amp based. I kinda want to try a setup with excellent measurements since I have never really tried it out. I'm currently using Yggy A2 and original Ragnarok, so the measurements aren't that amazing, but they sound good to my ears. Just want to hear the other side of the argument.
Don't start drinking the Measurements Uber Alles Kool-Aid! :sweat_smile: Stay strong!!

giphy20.gif

JK! :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #74 of 941
Hey guys, I currently have the Modi 3 running on my 789 but I've been curious about the Modius. I'm interested in it because I feel like it would be nice to have a fully balanced setup, but if there's no benefit to be gained I'd rather save my money. It seems like it makes sense to take advantage of balanced since I have the 789.

From what I've gathered there are no benefits to balanced between DAC/AMP unless you're running long cables which I'm not doing since my stack is right next to each other.

Also curious if there are actually any noticeable sound differences between the modi 3/modius, but it looks like I just need to wait for more reviews in the coming days as people start getting it in.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #75 of 941
Hey guys, I currently have the Modi 3 running on my 789 but I've been curious about the Modius. I'm interested in it because I feel like it would be nice to have a fully balanced setup, but if there's no benefit to be gained I'd rather save my money. It seems like it makes sense to take advantage of balanced since I have the 789.

From what I've gathered there are no benefits to balanced between DAC/AMP unless you're running long cables which I'm not doing since my stack is right next to each other.

Also curious if there are actually any noticeable sound differences between the modi 3/modius, but it looks like I just need to wait for more reviews in the coming days as people start getting it in.

if your source device has a noisy USB ground, e.g. Gaming PC with high power graphics card(s), then fully balanced DAC + HP Amp + cans may have a lower audible noise floor vs single-ended that are AC powered using 3-pin grounded (e.g. IEC connector) plugs. Note: do not remove / defeat ground pins on AC cords (may cause safety hazard)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back